sprinter value discussion (again)

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I know this topic has been endlessly discussed over the years. However it's time for me to purchase a new van and I have a personal interest in renewing the debate.

The Sprinter van clearly provides more creature comforts, more cargo room, and good mileage as compared to Ford or Chevy.

I have run Ford diesel vans since starting in expediting, and have for the most part been happy. However lately my body has been asking for more space and comfort.

My question to the Sprinter owners out there is: Does the additional cargo capacity and presumably additional load opportunities really overcome the purchase price and higher maintenance costs the Sprinter has? And secondly, would you go the Sprinter route again?

Expediting has changed and so has the new Sprinter models.

Your input is valued and I thank you for your responses in advance.

Stay safe.

KG

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The new sprinters have lost their competitive edge for sure as far as fuel mileage is concerned...Because of my experience with them now...

If you could find an 05/06 for about 7-10k and maybe invest another 10k IF needed....you'd be ahead of the curve..

I just could not bring myself to buy a new one for 46k and not have replacement parts in the supply line...

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
If you could find an 05/06 for about 7-10k...

That's what I'm looking for, and am seeing them for twice that, some with 200k miles.

'04 model could also work if the carrier accepts a slightly older model.

Better mileage, better carrying capacity, simpler mechanics than current models.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's what I'm looking for, and am seeing them for twice that, some with 200k miles.

'04 model could also work if the carrier accepts a slightly older model.

Better mileage, better carrying capacity, simpler mechanics than current models.

I would pay more if the maintenance records were available and checked out by a certified tech...to make sure the "List" was followed

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
I would pay more if the maintenance records were available and checked out by a certified tech...to make sure the "List" was followed

To be clear, I'm looking at western states...availability, and pricing, may be better on the east side.

Typically, today I found a California vehicle, 2005 2500 118" wb, fair condition w/100k miles, asking $18 plus tax...no records, take as-is. Bank owned, can't even test drive. Offered $12k and was refused.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
If I had to replace my '06 long and tall, I would just get another long and tall. Don't really care about the mechanicals as long as the body is in good shape and not rusted out. I would get a rebuilt motor or trans for it and go on my merry way. Price of a cheap used Sprinter and about $10-12K more for repairs seems more logical to me than $46-50K on a brand new one.

Actually thats my plan, it the motor in this one goes, I'll just replace it and keep on Vanning.

Try looking all over the US for Sprinters. My mechanic just bought an '06 long and tall witha a blown motor from MO real chap and is putting one of his rebuilt motors in it.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I had to replace my '06 long and tall, I would just get another long and tall. Don't really care about the mechanicals as long as the body is in good shape and not rusted out. I would get a rebuilt motor or trans for it and go on my merry way. Price of a cheap used Sprinter and about $10-12K more for repairs seems more logical to me than $46-50K on a brand new one.

Actually thats my plan, it the motor in this one goes, I'll just replace it and keep on Vanning.

Try looking all over the US for Sprinters. My mechanic just bought an '06 long and tall witha a blown motor from MO real chap and is putting one of his rebuilt motors in it.

I think WE as has been discussed are in agreement to go with a new motor if this one expires...

Me..a brand new motor in crate...:D

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Right now, a new 2010 tall 2500 170" ext goes out the door in Arizona around $40k. To answer the original post, I suppose the comparison depends largely on whether you're into the Sprinter new, used or rebuilt.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now, a new 2010 tall 2500 170" ext goes out the door in Arizona around $40k. To answer the original post, I suppose the comparison depends largely on whether you're into the Sprinter new, used or rebuilt.
If you can get it at that price..not bad..back east 45-49K

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The thing I have found looking for them is that many of them are either overpriced by the original owners, overpriced by the dealer or just plain junk when they are cheap.

The thing that gets me is a dealer gets one that is beatup, throws a coat of paint on it and then they sell it as something special, no records, no idea who drover it or how it was driven. I have to dig up the pictures but one I went to Kansas to see because the description was great, the guy on the phone answered allt he questions but when I got there, it was clear the thing had serious rust at the bottom of the windshield which was painted over and serious mechanical issues. When I dumped the ECM, all kinds of codes popped up so I offered him $4000 cash right there and he laughed. Someone bought that POS for $17k and I bet they didn't even get home with it.

If you are seriously looking at them, learn about them as much as you can. Get an Oil Analysis done, get a dealer (MB If at all possible) to look at it for you and be prepared to walk away.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
If it was me buying a brand new van I would get the unicell Mike bass ford in Ohio near cleveland had a nice new one for $33,500 about 1 month ago .

UNICELL

I know this topic has been endlessly discussed over the years. However it's time for me to purchase a new van and I have a personal interest in renewing the debate.

The Sprinter van clearly provides more creature comforts, more cargo room, and good mileage as compared to Ford or Chevy.

I have run Ford diesel vans since starting in expediting, and have for the most part been happy. However lately my body has been asking for more space and comfort.

My question to the Sprinter owners out there is: Does the additional cargo capacity and presumably additional load opportunities really overcome the purchase price and higher maintenance costs the Sprinter has? And secondly, would you go the Sprinter route again?

Expediting has changed and so has the new Sprinter models.

Your input is valued and I thank you for your responses in advance.

Stay safe.

KG

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
If you can get it at that price..not bad..back east 45-49K

Supposedly MB is offering incentives to make way for the 2011s. Our local dealer still has several extendeds, plus reefers built into 3500s, which seems narrow-minded when even a single skid won't fit. "Only" $16k more....brrrrr!