sprinter to ford/chevy

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I didnt mean to go off on you like that, mr relent, so i apologize,
No worries ..... it's all good - I was raggin' on ya there so I had it comin' ...... :D

but I consider a unibody to be a vehicle where the sub-frame(c-channel) is welded to the body itself ... snip ....
Yup - that's my understanding as well. ;)

but anyways, i was just making a statement, not trying to start an arguement, even if it appeared that way.
Yeah ... I'll plead guilty ..... I was picking at ya on the C-30 thing :rolleyes: ..... you saw what you saw - I don't doubt that for a minute .... who knows what happened ..... they could have decided to classify them as C-series for some period of time ..... or ran out of G-30 emblems .... or who knows what ...... hard to say .....

Only thing that I knew was that while I was in the parts business (late 60's up to the mid 80's) they called the vans a G-series ..... after that I'm really ignorant of what they did .... I just don't really know with any degree of certainty.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
RELENT.. I don't know yet how to pick and copy certain phrases so I will respond without quoteing whole response.

I was refering to Ford and Chevy as a gas engine, never had much experinance with diesal until Duramax. I had 100,000 miles about on mine with no trouble but that is not that much as expediting goes, so don't know true longevity. The stealership was Stoops in Indy and they gave me more trouble on everything and were rude as heck about it so guess they gave me a bad taste about Sprinters too since I could not just take anywhere.
My rearend was for rearend only, and took 10 days. Said cause came from overseas and I was not making any money waiting, over something as easy to me as a rearend.

Agreed, Fed ex ground is a lot of starting and stopping and gunning it to keep times and a 8 hr or so window to do it in. I used to do it for temperary income. My cousin does all his own work but must have picked a bad one or a bad driver abusing it. I can't change my own oil, a bit to disabled and large tum tum for getting underneath. I had 3 places that did oil changes that did not know about the 2 oil ring gaskets on filter and when started oil would leak out. I would get redone and no charge but did not take back for their lack of knowledge.

I describe to many things that don't go my way as Junk, like time I bought the new dodge pickup in 04 and had nothing but trouble. I hated Dodge after that but got a new one in 06 and loved it.

Well I learned a lot by the feed back instead of my personal but not nessesarily correct thoughts on Sprinters. Thats what this forum is about is to learn something. I remember when I got my first in 03 and thought I was one of the lucky ones but a few bad experiences ruined it for me. Oh, forgot that guy that had engine replaced had one of the first out, it was an 02. Later, going back to bed..

guido4475

Not a Member
And I was just wondering, since the pin in the transmission that holds the vehicle in park is not that big, Does any one ever have one of these break? I was thinking in the sense of a freight being pushed in and pulled out of a van, what stress it could put on that pin. just a thought.I guess wheel chocks wouldnt be a bad idea.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I just bought another 2003 Ford E350 w/7.3 litre Powerstroke diesel engine. Ryder Trucks sells them off their fleet as they age. The one I purchased has 150,000 miles on odometer. Looks and drives like a new vehicle. Surprisingly quiet. I fully expect to put another 500,000 miles on this van. The maintenance records show they strictly adhered to all PM. Cost of van was $4500. They have many more listed at RyderUsedTrucks.com ..... Anyone interested, I made a bid $1500 less than listed price on three of them. They accepted all three bids. My point is these rugged, reliable extended 1-ton vans can be had at a bargain in this economy. They are workhorses. (REMINDER: stay away from the 6.0 ).

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
And I was just wondering, since the pin in the transmission that holds the vehicle in park is not that big, Does any one ever have one of these break? I was thinking in the sense of a freight being pushed in and pulled out of a van, what stress it could put on that pin. just a thought.I guess wheel chocks wouldnt be a bad idea.

Guido... my Ford vans have been loaded well over a thousand times in the past ten years. Zero transmission problems. I have't used wheel chocks on a van. Not a bad idea though. I am particular about not allowing my vans to be loaded roughly or going over GVWR.

guido4475

Not a Member
I appreciate that.Yes,ryder has good deals on vans.Excellent maintenance.What ryder dealer did you get your vans from?