Sprinter thoughts

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok gurus....I am thinking I now have about 360,000 on my 2005 Sprinter...and the engine is running fine everything is fine for that matter...never had to change any MAJOR parts..never had them 3-7,000 dollar repairs....BUT when I do...SHOULD I just change out the entire engine at 12,000 bucks as a matter of general PM...I can't see spending 3G's on injectors another couple G's on a turbo...then replace a water pump and then theres the cams and cranks...Lordy be....
I do have the money in my Maintainance fund to pay cash for this...so I won't have to finance the change.
I am also taking into consideration the downtime and tow charges and downright inconvenience that the single repairs will cost me...
I am hoping to at least make the 500,000 mark before this happens...

Last edited:

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
One guy I knew that works for Rocket Expediting had 540,000 on his 2002 Sprinter and thing started to go wrong so he put in a new motor for 13,000.00 at Stoops Freightliner in Indy, IN . He had already been doing pm's regularly so rest of van was in tip top shape. He said if he could get 300-500,000 miles more on new engine then he would buy a new Sprinter. Seems like a good thing to do.

I personally had no luck with the 3 Sprinters I owned and would never buy one again. Good Luck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One guy I knew that works for Rocket Expediting had 540,000 on his 2002 Sprinter and thing started to go wrong so he put in a new motor for 13,000.00 at Stoops Freightliner in Indy, IN . He had already been doing pm's regularly so rest of van was in tip top shape. He said if he could get 300-500,000 miles more on new engine then he would buy a new Sprinter. Seems like a good thing to do.

I personally had no luck with the 3 Sprinters I owned and would never buy one again. Good Luck.

All I can say is when they work they work well but when they don't..well you already know that one...

Aww A fellow who thinks like me...:D

I remember a thread from TeamC about a seminar about replacing parts before they broke but were approaching the average life span as part of a PM program...
Fact is it IS going to wear out...so do you squeeze it for 10,000 more miles and breakdown under load and need a hook? OR change it now at MY location MY dealer of choice..

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Ok gurus....I am thinking I now have about 360,000 on my 2005 Sprinter...and the engine is running fine everything is fine for that matter...never had to change any MAJOR parts..never had them 3-7,000 dollar repairs....
Wow ...... (shhhh ...... better not tell the Rev ..... )

BUT when I do...SHOULD I just change out the entire engine at 12,000 bucks as a matter of general PM
No ! No ! No ! Not unless the engine is shot ..... (it may well have another 360K in it - if you have cared for it properly and it sounds like you have)

Look - you have successfully avoided major repairs and as a consequence kept your cost of operation low - why screw with a good thing ?

You really wanna get rid of the motor that has given you 360K trouble-free miles ? Think about it ......

... I can't see spending 3G's on injectors another couple G's on a turbo...then replace a water pump and then theres the cams and cranks...Lordy be....
Consider the turbo a normal wear part from what I understand - due to the way the vanes operate (and wear) inside the housing.

You should have the top engine cover pulled and inspected for the "Black Death" (injector leaks)

Cams and cranks - if you are changing the oil regularly and keeping it clean you probably won't have a problem with either.

You may eventually need to replace the timing chain and/or gears - it's a double row chain and gears - so it's built to last - it may well go another 360K ..... or more ....

If you have never flushed out the power-steering fluid and replaced it I would do so now. Same deal on the brake fluid - complete flush and replacement - this has to be done by a Sprinter dealer (or someone with the DRBIII scan tool - in order to activate the ABS valving/pump and completely flush it)

The water pump, belt tensioner, and all pulleys are probably candidates to be replaced.

You might wanna consider a visit to Docktor A if you are over in the Pittsburgh area - have him look it over and give a listen. And ask him what are the most common failure parts that you might want to preemptively replace. Worth a call. Email me if you need his number.

I do have the money in my Maintainance fund to pay cash for this...so I won't have to finance the change.
Well, it probably ain't earning alot of interest at this point ... still ..... some is better than none .....

I am also taking into consideration the downtime and tow charges and downright inconvenience that the single repairs will cost me...
That's a legitimate view point.

I am hoping to at least make the 500,000 mark before this happens...
Well buddy ....... you're well on your way .... :D

Ya know ...... ya could at least replace them steekin' shocks and struts ..... they gotta be toast by now ..... :eek: (BTW, I'm still running my originals @146K :D)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rlent said..
Ya know ...... ya could at least replace them steekin' shocks and struts ..... they gotta be toast by now ..... (BTW, I'm still running my originals @146K

You missed it...I did that with my lower ball joints and front brakes...at 318,000...not bad for fronts...:D