sprinter / retarder shutoff relay

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
hello, sprinter people i have a 2003 2500 sprinter and i hope someone can help. i got a check engine light and my scanner said it was a retarder shutoff relay. the code is a p0000. i have done some searching but nothing came up. any help would be great. jason

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
P0000 is a generic code that means the code reader doesn't have a corresponding code available for what caused the problem. You will need to get the codes read by the MB tool. You could also try clearing the codes and seeing if another code is produced that describes the problem.

Do you even have a retarder on your Sprinter? You can probably count on one hand the number of Sprinters in North America that have retarders as part of the build. I mean, do you have a retarder switch on the dash?

Last edited:
Reactions: danthewolf00

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
What part of TN are you in? I have a scanner that speaks MB, if close by I can scan it for you.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
thanks turtle, i thought the code was a nothing burger as well, just added that to let anyone know i plugged it in to see if my carsoft scanner would show anything, not the best tool but they say it works on sprinters, and i cleared codes. no retarder switch. probably the most basic model made. abs, and wheel spinning light( or whatever it is light also came on) i am glad to say few problems, so vast sprinter know how is limited, to asking the pro's simple questions. somebody my have had this happen also. which maybe means, this that, or something else. just trying to get check this check that thoughts. flyingvan man i live in chatt town and out all week. my sprinter is retired to weekend camper now. so my need is not urgent, those mpg's are great. my sprinter avg. 24 roughly. and my str. gets 10 plus.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the battery is low especially, or some other glitch, it can throw some really strange codes. If you clear the codes and they keep coming back, it's something to look into. I have a Scangauge II which also works with Sprinters, but it's generic just like all the other non MB tools (or something like the DAD, which I think FlyingVan has).

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
o.k, i agree my scanner once pulled a code for a oxygen sensor coming out of the manifold before the converter, i don't have one on my 03, also a bad turbo actuator valve, my 03 has a vaccum pump to control the turbo. which was the problem, i will check the battery i think its old, but still strong. it would be a place to start. thanks

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check your engine run relay. If the key is turned off and the ECM doesn't see signs of immediate engine shutdown you can get codes like this. Ignition switches rarely control actual engine run functions...just trigger a relay. Relays get old and lazy.

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
thanks, piper1 sounds like a good idea. check the easy, simple stuff first. it didn't effect the truck, but when the check engine light, abs and acceleration skid control light all come on at the same time, its were heading to the house dear. let me add to turtles response about the battery, i have found some info, that he maybe on to something i couldn't attach the link. www.dash.-lights.com/mercedes-benz/sprinter-dashboard-warning-lights/brake/ basically said that low battery power can cause this to occur. but, i was driving, alternator, loose connection,? to be continued!!!

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
..... but when the check engine light, abs and acceleration skid control light all come on at the same time, its were heading to the house dear.

If this kind of stuff is happening, given the age of the van, I'd be taking a good look at chassis and body grounds.

Reactions: Turtle

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
To Piper1, Turtle, Flying Van Man, and Dan the Wolf 00:
I found an old thread from September 10., 2013. I do not know how to link that thread to this post, but in the thread, Dreamer was having the same issue. Steady Eddie and Ontario Vanman were discussing this issue. Dreamer never replied what solved his issue, whether it was a wheel speed sensor, or the ABS module. The information in the link that I added earlier, makes me think the issue that I have, may be a wheel speed sensor. I am going to look into the wheel speed sensor situation, when I get home. If anyone has any more suggestions or thoughts, please feel free to advise me. Thanks to everyone who added to this thread. I appreciate your time and help on this issue. I will reply back when I resolve the problem.

Reactions: blackpup

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When the codes are read by the BM tool, if it's a rear wheel speed sensor, it'll definitely show in the codes, even if the engine light isn't on.

Currently my ABS, ESP and spinning wheel thingy lights are on, and I know it's the speed sensor.

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
o.k thanks the next question, you can still drive without doing any harm. its just a warning. of what?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Generally, yes. You won't have ABS brakes, so if you brake hard on slippery pavement, the brakes will lock up, so be prepared to pump them rather than dynamite the brake pedal. If you lose both rear wheel speed sensors, the transmission will start acting up and might not be drivable, or won't be driveable in anything other than second gear. The reason is, the transmission control module (TCM) uses the wheel speed to determine driveshaft speed.

I've been driving with my 3 lights on the dash for literally 3 years. But I'm having that fixed in the morning at MB dealer. I'm having something else done, but as long as it's there, might as well get my money's worth.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So, Thursday, Friday, and now Monday, they're still working on it. The two main things I took it in for was the rear wheel speed sensor, and a charge air temp sensor. The temp sensor is brain-dead easy to replace, but the code came and went and I wasn't sure if it was just a sensor or a wiring issue.

Turns out, after 2 hours of intense diagnostics, it's just the sensor. They didn't have a sensor in stock, so they ordered one overnight, and it got sent to Florida instead of Bentonville, AR.

The wheel speed sensor, after 2 hours diagnosing that, yeah, it needs a new one. After a day and a half of fiddling and soaking, it's gonna have to be drilled out.

So I've practically moved into the MB dealer here.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackpup

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
sorry to hear that turtle, i hope i may have had better luck, i took both rear brakes apart over the weekend, i wanted to see how bad it might be. the metal ring that the sensor reads on one side was rusty, the other looked like new, so i cleaned the rusty one up, and soaked the sensors for two days, but i didn't try to take them out. i changed the parking brake shoes and springs, and then took her out for a road trip. did some highway, stop and go. i put on about 150 miles, crossed fingers all seems ,o.k so far. no lights ever came back on i.e check engine, abs, or others. hope this helps someone else.

Reactions: FlyingVan