Sprinter questions

Therion

Active Expediter
Does anyone the clearance between the wheel arches on a dually Sprinter? Is it enough to get a standard 40x48 pallet past, both straight and sideways? Also what are the running costs with a late model Sprinter which requires DEF compared to a gasoline Ford E350?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes but I sure wouldn't by a truck because it fits a 40 inch pallet. That would be very short sighted.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That's a bummer. Takes away all practicality from the van.

There was someone here that used one. They shaved the wheel wells down to the lowest height that they could and built a platform so that the floor was level. They lost several inches of height but felt that the trade off was worth it.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was someone here that used one. They shaved the wheel wells down to the lowest height that they could and built a platform so that the floor was level. They lost several inches of height but felt that the trade off was worth it.
And there was a company out there that would make new wheelwells that were narrower. I think there were out of buffalo

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
new sprinter 3500 2015 is a little wider and has super single will know more later
how wide wheel well is

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Just checked Mercedes website. Duallys are 38.5 and single wheels are 53.1. I had to be sure myself.
I would think with all the def problems the practicality issue would be not even looking into. Owning one my friend just bought 2 and have been back no less than 3 times each for def issues!

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I've wondered if a person could single out the rears and reconstruct the wheel wells on a 3500. you could still carry well over 4K with the singles. just a thought.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't see anything about it.? Do you mean the super singles? I just wondered about removing one of the existing wheels. The way you would on a TT. Maybe I missed something.
Somewhere someone was making a kit, that would replace the wheel wells with skinny ones, I don't believe you had to single out on it it just move the wheel well closer to the tire, it was discussed here on EO, try doing a search for the thread.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I don't think you could make the wheel well narrow enough with both duels there. I don't have a dog in the hunt, anyway. I was just curious.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've wondered if a person could single out the rears and reconstruct the wheel wells on a 3500. you could still carry well over 4K with the singles. just a thought.

I would never want to carry well over 4000 on any van 3500 or not. Just because something fits doesn't mean you aren't killing the tranny, springs, shocks etc.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I used to carry 4K once in a great while on my old T1N. I don't do that anymore. You're right. It's tough on everything. I was just saying that if someone bought a 3500, they probably bought it to carry the extra weight. I've talked to several guys down in Laredo that claim they carry 5K in their 3500 Sprinters. I wouldn't want to do it myself. I'm not even sure what the 3500 is rated for.