Sprinter PM results

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And yet you pay to have your oil changed. Interesting. The number of times i have heard that the drain plug was not tighted is amasing. Changing the oil is not rocket science and yet this happens more often than faulity brake jobs.:eek:
Three Years now I've changed my own oil and filter and knock on wood she's never dripped or leaked! I guess I just always make sure the drain screw is good and tight!
Yep, Napa $5.99 Mobil One ESP per quart when On Sale about every other Month. They're great, call me to remind when it's on sale.

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get my oil on sale at NAPA, my filters from Europarts and the local Mobile 1 changes the oil and filter or filters for $20.

Reactions: vandriver2

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Has anyone lost a pinion bearing on an early Sprinter? The boss' s brother roached one on his 2006 2500. At first they were thinking of just putting bearings in it, but I argued pretty hard that it would make noise. The pinion was moving in and out, up and down, wiping the original pattern off of the gears and leaving a sharp edge on the ring gear.

There was a concern that a used rear would soon have similar problems. There were none in the surrounding junkyards either.
The price compromise was a ring and pinion set off of eBay, with the parts made in India (which has had a strong metals industry ever since the start of British colonial ruling, so I'm not concerned about the quality). $650 for r&p, 150 for Timken bearing set. It will be done as soon as new parking brake shoes get here. I'll report back if there's any interest.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone lost a pinion bearing on an early Sprinter? The boss' s brother roached one on his 2006 2500. At first they were thinking of just putting bearings in it, but I argued pretty hard that it would make noise. The pinion was moving in and out, up and down, wiping the original pattern off of the gears and leaving a sharp edge on the ring gear.

There was a concern that a used rear would soon have similar problems. There were none in the surrounding junkyards either.
The price compromise was a ring and pinion set off of eBay, with the parts made in India (which has had a strong metals industry ever since the start of British colonial ruling, so I'm not concerned about the quality). $650 for r&p, 150 for Timken bearing set. It will be done as soon as new parking brake shoes get here. I'll report back if there's any interest.

everything is still original (on rear) on my unit..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It sucks yesterday I had a late load for the FIRST time in this sprinter due to breakdown...darn it! I hate being late no matter the reason...

BUT the belt tensioner decided to call it quits early in its lifespan like 42,000 miles....even tho I change ALL pulleys and belt once a year just because............

now @ 976,000.....

Reactions: vandriver2

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It sucks yesterday I had a late load for the FIRST time in this sprinter due to breakdown...darn it! I hate being late no matter the reason...

BUT the belt tensioner decided to call it quits early in its lifespan like 42,000 miles....even tho I change ALL pulleys and belt once a year just because............

now @ 976,000.....

Was this an original MB tensioner?

Early in my van's life I had an aftermarket tensioner quit at about 40k miles after I installed it so I decided to use only genuine parts since then. No problems any more.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Original Tensioner at 325K just now changed. Never had a problem and all Belts still looked great but all changed now. Thought it was time by recommendation.
The new Tension Pulley was marked "Germany".
Oil I use every 10-10K is Mobil 1 0w/30 ESP Part No. 212128 from Napa On Sale this Month for $5.99.
Used to Pay $7.31 for the old oil Mobil 1 5w/40 ESP at Freightliner.
Nice to save a little Money here and there to go towards other PM's.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just ordered me a 150 amp alternator from RockAuto...an OEM Bosch lifetime warranty for $267 bucks and I had a 5% discount code....dealers price about $1100...!!!
Running 2 aux batteries and a 2500 watt invertor my 90 amp might be the cause of blowing the belt tensioner prematurely....

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just ordered me a 150 amp alternator from RockAuto...an OEM Bosch lifetime warranty for $267 bucks and I had a 5% discount code....dealers price about $1100...!!!
Running 2 aux batteries and a 2500 watt invertor my 90 amp might be the cause of blowing the belt tensioner prematurely....
Maybe.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Only if the one way bearing is locked up. That will ruin a tensioner quickly.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Did you check amazon?

I bought mine for $190 shipped. 150 amp brand new Bosch, not refurbished.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk