Sprinter or similiar, can you make a living?

grapeape

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,

I am looking for a new profession, I've always liked to drive and there are a few jobs for people who have Sprinters or similiar vehicles.

The post says 1500-2000 miles per week, you are paid per mile and a fuel surcharge. I haven't seen any figures yet, but I thought a few years ago was something like .48 a mile (you can let me know if that is way low or such)

My main issue is that the trucks look to cost 40-50k (maybe I'm not looking at the right ones. Anyway, that's 104k a year, how many miles are those things good for? Seems like you would need oil changes every other week, and at .48 a mile you would pay for the truck after one year, but it may not run after 100k miles, I don't know anything about cars or trucks.

Can anyone offer suggestions on if my pricing is right, or how long those things run, etc.

I appreciate it very much.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A well maintained Sprinter will run far beyond 100k. I've heard of some low paying companies, but nothing as low as .48, not sure where you came up with that figure.

I'll give you the common, canned answer. Research the forums. There's a ton of education available to you here. Also, contact the company recruiters and ask them for their pay structures.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
My Sprinter went over 300,000 before it started to get expensive to own. I think a Chevy or Ford would do as well and cost less to repair. It's all a matter of what you want. I wanted the standing headroom and the ability to haul more volume. Remember though, liking to drive and driving for a living are two different things. I'll have to agree with HighwayStar (which really kills me) you need to read back in this forum and do a lot of research.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I think Sprinter is better because your going to spend at lot of time on the road and the Sprinter has more room for freight and also more room for you move around, stand up , etc just my 5 cents oops these days its only a penny

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi,

I am looking for a new profession, I've always liked to drive and there are a few jobs for people who have Sprinters or similiar vehicles.

The post says 1500-2000 miles per week, you are paid per mile and a fuel surcharge. I haven't seen any figures yet, but I thought a few years ago was something like .48 a mile (you can let me know if that is way low or such)

My main issue is that the trucks look to cost 40-50k (maybe I'm not looking at the right ones. Anyway, that's 104k a year, how many miles are those things good for? Seems like you would need oil changes every other week, and at .48 a mile you would pay for the truck after one year, but it may not run after 100k miles, I don't know anything about cars or trucks.

Can anyone offer suggestions on if my pricing is right, or how long those things run, etc.

I appreciate it very much.

Let me be very blunt....and please don't get offended..

Forget it..is my best advice.....
a Sprinter is not for an entry level beginner...especially one that knows nothing about cars/trucks....

It is a jungle out here....

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Read every thing on here especially the newbie section. Do you have money saved up in the bank? look for an owner to drive for that way you can get your feet wet and learn the industry before you sink you own money into a Sprinter again read, read , research, and read more

guido4475

Not a Member

a Sprinter is not for an entry level beginner...especially one that knows nothing about cars/trucks....

I'm glad you said it first, because I was thinnking the same thing myself, not to be negative or anything...Maybe the local freight level may suit your needs and desires better?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Sprinters take a "special" type of person if you aren't anal about maintenance and you abuse your vehicles the Sprinter ain't for you

Same could be said for any German motor vehicle they require more maintenance and care, but in return they reward you!!!!

grapeape

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all for the responses.

I did search the forum first and read the first 10 or so pages, the only reason I posted is because I thought there was some conflicting information.

The .48 figure was taken I thought from a job posting, but that may have been driving their truck.

To answer some of the follow ups. The money for the truck would be a loan and need to be repaid so the money per mile seems pretty important, but also fuel surcharge seems important. In other companies I have driven things for (small packages, one at a time type stuff) the only fuel surcharge was when fuel hit abc amount and then it kicked in. If I only made .48 or even $1 per mile and had to pay for my own gas getting 10mpg, then I would have to pass on this type of employment.

By no means do I look to get rich, but I do like to drive and I like to see different parts of the country. I am also in a good family type position where I could be away for a few weeks and not be missed.

BTW not offended by the comments, rather, I'm very appreciative of all the time people took to respond. I'm in Steuben Co. so I'm not far from a lot of big cities.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Most vanners here seem to do well in paid for vans. Once you put a large payment into the equation it gets tough, not impossible though. Remember also with the amount of miles you put on a van, breakdowns do occur even on newer vans.
Alot of people here will recommend driving for a owner first or buy a used Ford or Chevy for cash if at all possible.
Is that Steuben County, Indiana?

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
This won't answer your question but make sure that you read this:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...omething-newbies-think-about-tjps-trials.html

Ask yourself how long you would be able to survive if this should happen to you. This happens to all makes and models not just Sprinters.

Rule of thumb is to keep the expenses low in order to maximize your profit. Monthly van payments are required even when your in for repair like TJ or when the business slows. That is why most say to purchase a van outright when your starting.

You need to define what amount you consider "making a living" and what you need in order to be happy.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This won't answer your question but make sure that you read this:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...omething-newbies-think-about-tjps-trials.html

Ask yourself how long you would be able to survive if this should happen to you. This happens to all makes and models not just Sprinters.

Hitting a deer is a common accident and I can't think of a time that I've heard of anyone going through that kind of a nightmare getting routine repairs done with any make or model of vehicle. A freakish situation, to say the least. It is good advice to be prepared for financial setbacks.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter

Ken I agree with you 100%. The Sprinter is a great vehicle if driven and taken care of correctly. You need money set aside for unexpected breakdowns. Unless you are mechanically inclined, the dealer costs can get expensive.

Just an example, a month ago the starter went on my '06. We were down in San Antonio, about 1200 mi from home. Called the local dealer to see what it would be to get a new one installed, they said 1.5 hrs labor at $95/ hour plus $645 for the starter. Since I was a mechanic in my previous life, I was able to swap it out in a hotel parking lot in about 45 mins, plus I went to NAPA and only payed $195 for the starter.

Trying out the business on someone else's dime is the best way to see if you like the business. If 6 months down the road you decide that you do not like it, then you are not stuck with a van that you might not want anymore.

Best thing to do is have a business plan and make goals. After all you are running a business, no matter how small or how large your fleet may get.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
H'A ??? :)
a year and a half ago ,you told me that your goals are to be back in F.L in 8 months or so ... :D
Or maybe you 2 enjoy expedite too mach.

Actually it was earlier this summer that we had talked about that down in Temple, GA.

And yes we do enjoy expediting.