Sprinter life expectancy

jeff4637

Seasoned Expediter
Still busy doing my research,and I've searched allot of posts but I haven't been able to find out what kind of mileage you can get out of a Sprinter. I realize maintenance is the key,but until today from a post of OVM I was thinking around 300,000. So if I can expect more than 300,000 that helps me make better decisions. Can anyone chime in with their experience? Thanks,Jeff

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
OVM has more than 600,000 miles on his and there are a lot of people who have over 500,000. Depends on how you take care of them. My driver has just turned 100,000 on a chevy extended in less than a year no problems at all with that and mine has 200,000 and I did some preventive stuff with that.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
From what I have gathered on here there are 3 major criteria for longevity. Maintaince, no idle and don't overload to often.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I just bought a new van, the old van i was driving, I just put a driver in it. A 2005 GMC 1 ton extended with a 4.8 v-8..he took it over 386,000 miles on it. Thats a gas motor...if you take care of a diesel in a sprinter, there is no reason not toget a minimum of 500,000 miles

jeff4637

Seasoned Expediter
Anything above 300,000 miles service will definitely make my startup,and monthly expense come down to more manageable figures

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can count on 300,000 minimum...IF you take care of it...

Turtle is like 380,000, Steady Eddie about 540,000....

I was away from my LP...did some DH on my own dime..:)

sometimes it is necessary...we are after all independent business people, can;t expect dispatch to lead ya by the nose and then claim otherwise!

Last edited:

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
IMO they are like any other truck, They will last as long as you are willing to replace what ever wears out, or breaks. Untill it is no longer cost efficent to repair it, which could be a millon miles or more.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
330,000 miles. 2007 the sprinter became a different animal, so there are apples and oranges in this bucket. I had $12,000 in repairs last year.

eb

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Still busy doing my research,and I've searched allot of posts but I haven't been able to find out what kind of mileage you can get out of a Sprinter. I realize maintenance is the key,but until today from a post of OVM I was thinking around 300,000. So if I can expect more than 300,000 that helps me make better decisions. Can anyone chime in with their experience? Thanks,Jeff

You might also want to ask a second question that covers ALL expenses the Sprinter owners have had to reach their 300K, 400K, and 500K mile mark. Then take those answers and compare them with other "V8" van owners expenses that have similar mileage.

You might find yourself surprised, maybe even shocked, at what the different $$$ figures will be when it comes to maintenance and parts costs.

So, think hard. Do you want to invest in a vehicle that's about $15-$20K higher in price than most "V8" based vans, that has maintenance costs (oil changes, parts, etc) about 2-3 times more than V8 engines, and Engine/Tranny Replacement costs that averages 5 times the cost of a V8??

Think beyond the "how many miles can I get out of Sprinter" mindset.........

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Van operator John Schlimmer wrote an informative piece for Expedite NOW magazine in 2008 entitled My Million Mile Chevy. He tells how he got one million miles out of his Chevy van. The piece is not about a Sprinter van but I have to think that the same principles apply.

When someone gets a million miles out of his or her Sprinter, I'd love to put a similar story in the magazine about that.

jeff4637

Seasoned Expediter
I greatly appreciate everyones input,because not being out there all I can do is crunch numbers so I'm basically relying on what I read here and other places. I've been to a few dealers,and expediting company's in my research. And one of the first articles I read was about the million mile Chevy. My plan is to run a non cdl team that don't have to be home at any givin time so some comfort is an issue,and I really don't see that in a CV,but once again I'm not out there. Now if I was to crunch the numbers based on mpg at a 1,500 mile week the CV getting 15 mpg and the sprinter getting 20 mpg my savings would be 50.00 to 100.00 dollars a week depending on the CV being gas or diesel. But once again I'm not out there and have no idea what the difference is in repair costs,or the frequency of such costs of either vehicle. I will continue to read and research everything I can,and from time to time I will ask questions if I can't find the answers. In the meantime I greatly appreciate everyones input,and you all have been an asset in my research. Thanks,Jeff

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I talked to a Sprinter owner a few weeks ago. He told me to get a box van and that was what he was going to do. He had owned several Sprinters and in HHO, they were to expensive to own. He was in a Sprinter at the time and carried basic spare parts with him. He has spent as high as 12k for a engine in the early years and now has found someone to do them for 10k, plus trannys are around 6k or more if u cant do basic repairs. Alternators are 800 bucks installed if ur lucky.

My ancient cargo van, maybe 5000 in repairs in the past 8 years. Ps+++ many Sprinters dont carry any more cargo then us cv drivers, just ask the Sprinter drivers, yep there are exceptions, but they get the same size loads we cv drivers get, so I could afford one, but they aint sold me the sizzle yet and for 750 bucks a month payment and thats on the low side, I will take the van or maybe get the box trk, ok,,all in MHO>:D

got 300k on my 2002 dodge one ton,, one tranny, original engine, just tuneups and one 130dollar alternator,,u do the math and an oil change 30 bucks in the yard, go figure.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I talked to a Sprinter owner a few weeks ago. He told me to get a box van and that was what he was going to do. He had owned several Sprinters and in HHO, they were to expensive to own. He was in a Sprinter at the time and carried basic spare parts with him. He has spent as high as 12k for a engine in the early years and now has found someone to do them for 10k, plus trannys are around 6k or more if u cant do basic repairs. Alternators are 800 bucks installed if ur lucky.

My ancient cargo van, maybe 5000 in repairs in the past 8 years. Ps+++ many Sprinters dont carry any more cargo then us cv drivers, just ask the Sprinter drivers, yep there are exceptions, but they get the same size loads we cv drivers get, so I could afford one, but they aint sold me the sizzle yet and for 750 bucks a month payment and thats on the low side, I will take the van or maybe get the box trk, ok,,all in MHO>:D

got 300k on my 2002 dodge one ton,, one tranny, original engine, just tuneups and one 130dollar alternator,,u do the math and an oil change 30 bucks in the yard, go figure.

it is more like 235$ for an alternator and $4,000 for a tranny and oil changes about 7-8 times a year and my payment WAS $735 a month

The BIG thing....I have plenty of room, which is priceless....

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
it is more like 235$ for an alternator and $4,000 for a tranny and oil changes about 7-8 times a year and my payment WAS $735 a month

The BIG thing....I have plenty of room, which is priceless....

I to like the room in a Sprinter and have had the opprotunity to ride in a few, and have been in a box truck that was set up nicely, both are good, its a lifestyle of likes and dislikes too.:D