Sprinter Engine Swap

Is this possible in a cost effective long term solution?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• Possibly

• KickStarter you're drunk learn sentence and paragraph structure

• This is a dumb idea

Results are only viewable after voting.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Biggest hurdles IMO driveshaft and transmission and rear end ratios

Sent from my flying circus

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I just gotta find a sprinter van that's has a ruined engine that's fairly inexpensive. I don't wanna do it to a sprinter that has life still in it. It'd be great to find an '07 long and tall with a grenaded engine that way it makes the project cheaper to pull off and if it doesn't work less money wasted

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
On the classifieds theres an old body style sprinter for sale for i think $3,500 BUT Im not sure a carrier would take older than a '07. It has a bad engine which is exactly what I want and a long and tall but it looked a tad on the rough side but sprinter for $3,500 go figure.

I heard and I dont know where or if its true but the frame on the older style is more narrow than the current model, is this true? If so that would certainly need to be taken into consideration or if I could just get the measurements between the frame rails. Custom emgine mounts are a given, custom length driveshaft i assume as well, not sure if the tranny tunnel would need cutting or not but just more things that have crossed my mind

Sharky-OTR

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Ive done his two ways Sadly I did it for someone so I would have to try and get pictures, But I did a GM 5.3 swap into a sprinter and later I did a 4BT into a sprinter (he wanted to keep it diesel. Over all I will say the 5.3 swap was tougher, as it also required changing the fuel tank ,system and many other parts, including delete of Def and all under hood "diesel related" parts.
But the outcome was a 14 second 1/4 mile sprinter with nearly 500 hp. I cant say what his fuel mileage is, I know in a car body that engine gets around 15-18 (ish) mpg so figure hes doing a minimum of 30% less. But I do know the 4BT is running around great, getting about 22 mpg and can pull the California mountains on I-80 up to Truckee at an easy 65-70 mph. It gets better fuel economy and performance than the MB engine. due to greater torque, I think if my memory is right its around 700 tq. If your going to swap and want "easier" Go With a 4BT... Just my two cents.... It took about 4 days and around (it was a brand new upgraded and modded 4BT) 12 ish thousand dollars. In fact when my MB engine dies I will be doing it again and swapping mine for a 4BT the exact same high torque version....

Reactions: brokcanadian

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
ive got an 07 sprinter 170 lwb tall with a bad engine. the rest of the van is in good shape. may sell it or trade

LostDeere59

Active Expediter
Mechanic
Something to keep in mind:

Emissions legality is based on the year of manufacture and equipment required in the VEHICLE - NOT the driveline.

In other words, when you put a 2002 driveline in a 1968 Nova this is fine because you are exceeding the required equipment for the 1968 vehicle. On the other hand putting the 1968 driveline into the 2002 would get you in all kinds of trouble - local, state, and of course Federal.

So in the example above, the 2002 Silverado driveline into the 2012 Sprinter would be a complete No-No.

Also, in many states, converting a vehicle from one fuel type to another has been made illegal - for instance here in PA all those gas engines put into diesel GM cars back in the day are now uninspectable. Fortunately most of them are long gone . . .

So while the physicality of a swap might be one thing, the reality of what's legal is another. Before you get out the torches and welding equipment you should be VERY sure what the DMV in your state requires. And by VERY sure I mean ask the necessary people at the actual DMV - not your buddy at the garage down the street.

As a first step I would assume that diesel requires diesel, and gas requires gas. Why - because the evaporative emission controls are COMPLETELY different. Everything from fill necks to gas tanks to vapor lines . . .
And second, I would restrict my benchracing to putting later model engines/drivelines into earlier model trucks. Otherwise you will be required to update the driveline you install to meet the more stringent requirements of the truck you put it into. Can you say "Never gonna happen"?

For those reasons alone it is highly unlikely there would be any financial benefit to doing such a swap.

Gregg

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Something to keep in mind:

Emissions legality is based on the year of manufacture and equipment required in the VEHICLE - NOT the driveline.

In other words, when you put a 2002 driveline in a 1968 Nova this is fine because you are exceeding the required equipment for the 1968 vehicle. On the other hand putting the 1968 driveline into the 2002 would get you in all kinds of trouble - local, state, and of course Federal.

So in the example above, the 2002 Silverado driveline into the 2012 Sprinter would be a complete No-No.

Also, in many states, converting a vehicle from one fuel type to another has been made illegal - for instance here in PA all those gas engines put into diesel GM cars back in the day are now uninspectable. Fortunately most of them are long gone . . .

So while the physicality of a swap might be one thing, the reality of what's legal is another. Before you get out the torches and welding equipment you should be VERY sure what the DMV in your state requires. And by VERY sure I mean ask the necessary people at the actual DMV - not your buddy at the garage down the street.

As a first step I would assume that diesel requires diesel, and gas requires gas. Why - because the evaporative emission controls are COMPLETELY different. Everything from fill necks to gas tanks to vapor lines . . .
And second, I would restrict my benchracing to putting later model engines/drivelines into earlier model trucks. Otherwise you will be required to update the driveline you install to meet the more stringent requirements of the truck you put it into. Can you say "Never gonna happen"?

For those reasons alone it is highly unlikely there would be any financial benefit to doing such a swap.

Gregg

The majority of the Sprinters on the road are diesels. Engine swaps within the same series have been done all over and it can be a good option.

2004-2006 5 cylinder
2007-2009 6 cylinder
2010-?? 4-6 cyl Bluetecs

Not sure which bluetec engines are interchangeable.

As for the proposed Frankenstein idea, it's more headache than it's worth. I wouldn't attempt it with a Sprinter.

The emissions stuff is relative. Not everyone lives in over regulated states.