Sprinter Buying Advice?

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
Depending on how rapidly the Nashville floodwaters recede, I'm going to be looking in the next few days at a 2006 Sprinter, 8200 GVW, with 79k miles on it. It looks to me like it might've been a company-uniform service vehicle or something like that. While the ad doesn't specify, it appears to be a long-wheelbase version.

I hear that these are great trucks when properly maintained, and nightmares when they're not. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might keep an eye out for, and what checks I ought to pay a pro to make? I'm fairly knowledgeable about buying used cars and light trucks, and have been mostly successful. But, I know _nothing_ of diesels.

Will most companies accept a vehicle of this age into their fleet? It also has full side-windows and is painted blue. Is this liable to be an issue?

Thanks!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well that mileage would indicate it is due for its 8th oil change, also it was due for one tranny and rear end service....I would ask if they kept maintenance records...If the tranny/rear wasn't done, see if they'll do it prior to purchase or take the cost off the asking price about $400 bucks, it is not too far over so it shouldn't be a nightmare issue. At 79k brakes should not be an issue..

I don't know of any 8200 GVW at the extended wheelbase rate of 158"..we are 8550 GVW...your prospect might be the 140"

Good Luck....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I hear that these are great trucks when properly maintained

Not all the time.

If it was a penske/ryder truck maybe.

I would at least get an Oil Analysis done and take the vin to a dodge dealer that is still open and willing to get off their butt to see what work may be done to it, what warranty is still there and any open recalls.

A lot of stop and go trucks suffer from different issues, mainly drive train.

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
Well, I went and drove the Sprinter today, and though I'm not going to buy it I was majorly impressed. The vehicle was previously operated by a golf club company, and was used to transport their traveling display from tournament to tournament. The vehicle looks and runs virtually like new; except for a couple golf-ball dents, one small scratch and a bit of wear where the driver's heel sits, it might pass as new. (Undercarriage, too.) The vehicle has many maintenance records, though I didn't take the time to page through them fully. One item that stuck out was a brake service at 20k miles. Common Sprinter-issues aside, IMO, this vehicle is a gem waiting for someone. The only negative I could find with it for expediting is its color, which will make it hard to keep cool. That aside-- Three to five hours work removing the shelving and third "jump" seat and setting up a better tiedown system could at least in theory put it on the road.

So why am I not jumping on it? Two reasons. The first is that the replies Ive gotten here and the other internet research I've done makes me terrified to buy a used Sprinter, even one with so few miles on the clock. I only have enough money to do this _once_, and it _must_ be done right. The second is that I'm not convinced I can do enough more or save enough gas with this vehicle to make it more profitable in the long run than a conventional (used) Ford or GM 3500-series van that I can buy for half the price. Especially for my first unit, when there's so much I still have to learn, I can't see sinking so many eggs into one (extra-risky) basket. Besides, I'm still not dead-certain that a carrier will take me on at all yet.

Thank you guys _very much_ for your help-- while I ended up not-buying, it was a good, thought-provoking and experience-providing exercise. If I'd wanted the thing to use as an RV or private vehicle, I'd have snapped it up in a minute, and I still expect it's a good buy for someone with more experience.

For those interested, here's the URL. Buy with my blessing!

Premier Auto Broker's - Nashville, Tennessee - Inventory Details - 2006 Dodge Sprinter $25,950.00

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Rabbit, you've had an outstanding day. You just saved $25,000 hard earned dollars. Sprinters aren't an entry level vehicle, that's for sure. Rolling the dice with a much cheaper used Ford or GM van is a good start.

There is a business near where I live, Superior Mobility of Lexington,KY, that modifies new and used vans for a variety of applications. They will install a raised roof and rear door extensions that gives approximately the same dimensions of a Sprinter. Costs approx $3000-$4000 for these modifications. Of course, you would want the extended chassis Ford or GM van for maximum linear footage. Ford or GM can be serviced in Anytown USA by any competent mechanic.

I like the extra size Sprinters offer. Beyond that, I am sticking with the cheapo domestics.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rabbit...you made a wise choice..we here have said many times the Sprinter is not an entry level van....
Brake service at 20k is not normal...

Good luck on your domestic van of your choice....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But by your account OVM, nothing is normal unless it happens after 200k.:p

Seriously, why is it everyone is afraid of a used sprinter but then if they buy new, it seems they expect top dollar for it when they sell it?

I looked at one the other day for someone which had 145k on the clock. It was beat up a bit, a little rust around the back door, e track put in like a monkey did the work, needed tires all around (6 of them), brakes need to be done soon and so on.

Did my checks, ran the OA and it came back good, no black tar issues, compression checked good, trans shifted great, no error codes, warentee work was well documented so I offered $12k for it. The guy almost crapped his pants, did a dance and all that then said he expected to get $26k out of it.

OK it was worth more than $12k but it was a starting point. The guy who sent me to look at it would have gone $15k for it but not $20k let alone $26k. For a early 2005 and the work needed to get it striaght would have been the little things but nevertheless it seemed to have the right Karma.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know where people get these used prices from...

Having the maintenance record is a good thing..also what you did as well an OA...and definately make sure the correct fluids were used....after that luck takes over like any other used van.
heck I'll sell ya mine for 10k! ;)