Sprinter APU ideas?

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't even stepped into the Sprinter I will be driving and the owner is talking about keeping the engine off as much as possible. Well on these perfect 70 degree days this is not an issue, but that's not the case always.

Any ideas on how to heat and/or cool the van without idling the vehicle? Could a APU system be bought and installed?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't even stepped into the Sprinter I will be driving and the owner is talking about keeping the engine off as much as possible. Well on these perfect 70 degree days this is not an issue, but that's not the case always.

Any ideas on how to heat and/or cool the van without idling the vehicle? Could a APU system be bought and installed?
Yes APU for a price.

Other options, portable Honda style generator, window or portable A/C, big buddy heater.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Couple ways could be done.. RV generator is an option.. always. Onan is the name you want to look for there .. Or a receiver hitch ( front rear seen em done both ways. , though IO think rear mounted better for highway fuel economy) ) with swinging cargo rack ( to move it out of way when un/loading) If you will be running mostly electric with the apu, no need for a propane heater, you can go electric. Seen cooling done both window ac converted and portable A/C units. I am sliding towards the portable A/C route myself.. Nice and stealth/ slick looking . rout outlets through floor .. and you CAN get units that are 3 way.. cold, Dehumidify/vent and heating.

Reactions: Solar

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching

Yes APU for a price.

Other options, portable Honda style generator, window or portable A/C, big buddy heater.

Ummm, Roadtime.. if one has an apu /genny then why would one need a propane heater except for emergency use?

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching

HaPierce ... Go to youtube do search for "vandwelling air conditioner" . In fact, pretty much any idea you are looking for for customizing our rigs can be found in that "genre" of living. We DO , after all, live in our van's do we not?

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching

Oh and tip, you want to run any sort of A/C you need at LEAST 2000 watt generator..

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Thinking about this , will the owner be okay with you installing an aux ac unit? Most always involves cutting of holes ...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your driving.someone else's van don't spend money on.anything you can't take with you. This does limit you, for heat your best value is probably.a big buddy.with a twenty gallon tank adapter. Fuel will be cheaper than an electric heater run off a genny. Ac wise your only option is most likely a portable running the vent hose out a window although some people do take a window in and out of a front window. Not a fan of portables but you are limited. Because you don't want to waste money on an outside mount you probably want a suitcase style genny that doesn't weigh a bunch. The go to is the Honda 2000 but there is more competition from cheaper alternatives you can explore.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yes APU for a price.

Ummm, Roadtime.. if one has an apu /genny then why would one need a propane heater except for emergency use?

Because chances are in OP case APU is not going to happen, hence "other options" listed ;)

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yes APU for a price.

Because in the middle of winter it gets really cold and that electric heater won't cut it plus you have to go out in -10* to refill the genny. That brings to my next point. Why buy an electric heater when you can buy a real heater (Espar). Real expediters use a Espar heater. More economical and safer to use.
Also one can use Idle Air to heat and cool their vans. A little pricey in my book but much appreciated on 100* days.

Reactions: ntimevan

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Kohler makes a unit that mounts underneath in the spare tire well. It's 2800 watts. I had one in my Chevy and it ran a 13500 BTU roof air or my heater with no problem. I don't know for certain if they have a diesel version but suspect they do. It runs from the main fuel tank with the pickup placed so it starves at about 1/4 tank of fuel. No problem because I'd fill up after a run and could then power it for a few days if need be. It's a more expensive solution but it sure beats going out every few hours in whatever the weather to fill a fuel tank.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
File everything I mentioned away for future reference then. Sorry about that.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
we have someone who can install a genset where spare tire goes for about $ 6 to 8 ,000 or so
plug's in to fuel tank

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
For cooling I'm not 100 percent sure just run the a/c and keep the rpms revved up a bit when your idling. Never had any problems. For heat we buy a unit out of Connecticut that runs on diesel and is installed in the back where it doesn't get in the way of any loads. It's not too big but you can set it to a temperature where you'll sweat your socks off. Don't remember how much it costs but it doesn't eat too much fuel and it's very very nice... you need something like this when the temp hits below zero. Private message me If you want more details.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Idling a sprinter is a horrible idea at any rpm. Sounds like your talking about an espar a lot of us have them but again it's not the ops van and that's an investment you want to make in another person's van.