sprinter and generator

vango

Expert Expediter
Can anyone tell me which generator type/setup is best for a sprinter? Any rooftop models out there? Are 12v setups the best?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The only one I can remember is the Sprintergen. It is made in Jacksonville by truckgen. You may have to call them. I can't remember the price or specific specs.
They are at www.truckgen.com
If in Jacksonville, they are a mile east of 295 and Commonwealth.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

klippencott

Expert Expediter
If you are going to go with a rooftop A/C unit you should look at camping world. Be sure you balance the generator with the AC unit.
The sprinter is already punched on the top in the cargo area for a roof top A/C or power vent.

I was able to get a 1250 watt generator to run the roof air I plan to use.

Kathy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Kathy
Is 1250 enough to run your roof air? We have one on a big truck and 1250 isn't enough because of the initial power surge at compressor start up.
Just curious?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

vango

Expert Expediter
I have found a 12v ac/heat system but after 10 hours or so the extra batteries are dead/without ideling of course.The onan 2.5 gen is about 7-10 grand installed,and would do the trick,but the price is scary!But,this maybe the only alternative,its a propane unit.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe there's an Onan that's a small 2.5k or 3.5k diesel unit. I'm not sure but I think at least some tunnels won't let you go through if you have propane tanks in the vehicle. The diesel would be my choice since I'd be stopping to fill up with diesel anyway. Propane would at the least add another time penalty at the J or wherever you filled and at worst would require a detour to a different facility to fill on top of the added time. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.