Sprinter 2500 vs 3500

halexh

Active Expediter
I have a general question regarding the Sprinter van as an expediting van. I would like to know which one of the 2 you would pick. If you're currently working with a 2500 and find you self in situations where a 3500 would be useful or vice versa.

I have read every post that comes up on the search for sprinter van/ 2500/ 3500 etc.

The reason I am asking is I have a 2006 Sprinter 3500 that I am considering using for expediting and would like to know if its worth it to go though with it. Considering that the expenses with a 3500 are higher extra tires and lower mpg.

Thank You

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The only thing you need to know is the number of inches between the wheel wells - how wide of a pallet can you fit in there. It needs to be at least 48 inches.

halexh

Active Expediter
The only thing you need to know is the number of inches between the wheel wells - how wide of a pallet can you fit in there. It needs to be at least 48 inches.

Yes the Sprinter is modified it has a flat loading area no wheel wells they were removed I previously used it for hauling bulky objects and they were in the way.

I am just having a hard time doing the math if having the extra expense will actually be justified by being able to get more loads or if I am better off getting a 2500 and minimizing on expenses and getting the higher MPG.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Sprinter loads outnumber van loads about 3 to 1, in my opinion. Sometimes 2 to 1. They don't always require a sprinter but expedite customers request them anyway sometimes.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it an over or under 10,001 lb gvw 3500?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

halexh

Active Expediter
What I am trying to ask is if having the extra carrying capacity of the 3500 is worth it. I do not plan on working with anything but a Sprinter type van.

Just after reading through all the cargo posts it seems like the extra 1000lbs isn't really a factor in this business.

Thank you for all the replies so far.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I see, but cannot bid on, plenty of loads in the 3500-4000 pound range. Not a real high percentage but not a small number either. I guess it depends on who you run for and how much automotive they run. That's usually my heavy freight. Parts or parts. Before they go to production. Cast, stamp, finish, distro, assemble, but usually before they hit the "big 6" auto assembly lines.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My opinion just use what you have. The savings of not buying a new vehicle far outways extra fuel etc costs.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2006 Dodge Sprinter gvw 9990 and my curb weight at a DMV certified weight station was 4940 lbs.

extended version or regular version?.....my 05-2500 weighed that when brand new, void of anything inside, 1/2 tank of fuel and NO driver....I am weighed in of 5845 as it sits to-day....

halexh

Active Expediter
extended version or regular version?.....my 05-2500 weighed that when brand new, void of anything inside, 1/2 tank of fuel and NO driver....I am weighed in of 5845 as it sits to-day....

158" Longest/Tallest for that year. I was kind of surprised at how light it was. 1/4 tank of gas and no spare. I don't know if thats with me in it. The lady had me going back and forth out of the van.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Use what you have. You got rid of the wheel wells, which is the big problem with the 3500. Since you don't have those, you can fit the large skids. The 3500 will handle almost any weight you can throw at a van, so-- use it.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
158" Longest/Tallest for that year. I was kind of surprised at how light it was. 1/4 tank of gas and no spare. I don't know if thats with me in it. The lady had me going back and forth out of the van.

Hmmmm.... I had that exact van configuration and it weighed 6,000 lbs. without me in it! Your reported weight makes no sense.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the longest tallest 2500-series van, it was an '05. GVWR of 8550, when I went across the CAT scales it was just about 5600. Full tank of fuel and me in the driver's seat, I had one box on board at about 25 lbs. If I stripped it of my stuff, maybe I could take 75 to 100 lbs off of the scaled weight.

A 3500 with duallies is going to weigh more simply because those wheels add more weight. On the plus side, you don't add enough extra vehicle weight to offset the big increase in payload, so-- you can either carry heavier freight, OR-- stick to the 2900 lbs payload and give yourself a plushy living area/extra batteries/huge generator/heating/air conditioning and so on. 1200 extra pounds of capacity gives you some breathing room, after all.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I suspect maybe it has 4940 capacity with minimal fuel, no driver, no spare, no build out of any sort but not 4940 weight.

halexh

Active Expediter
looking back at it it's without me in the van
Photo Oct 01, 21 38 28.jpg'

Anyways thats all kind of going off topic. What I was trying to get at is if it makes sense financially. I was doing some random numbers in my head and if we assume a 3500 will get 3 MPG less than the 2500 at 70,000 miles a year which is kind of high the fuel cost at $4 a gallon is only $1500. If I did my math right that doesn't really justify switching vans.

Last edited:

jdowdy

Rookie Expediter
Re: Modified sprinter pics after removing wheel wells??

Yes the Sprinter is modified it has a flat loading area no wheel wells they were removed I previously used it for hauling bulky objects and they were in the way.

I am just having a hard time doing the math if having the extra expense will actually be justified by being able to get more loads or if I am better off getting a 2500 and minimizing on expenses and getting the higher MPG.
I am wondering if you would mind sharing any info on your removal of the wheel wells for your 3500?? I have a 2006 3500 that I am wanting to do the same thing on as I need to haul a 48" pallet. Any help you could provide would be appreciated Thanks Jeff 803.537.0284