Speed Kills .... Your Pocketbook

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
One reason why the speed on I-294 is different than other parts of the interstate system in the Chicago area is the more congestion there is, ie, increased traffic, population, dictates the safest speed limit for that area! Take for example I-80 as you approach Joliet area, it drops to 55mph

moose

Veteran Expediter
. But if you notice, people ignore the posted speed limit (and posted speed minimum) and drive at a speed which is safe and prudent for the driving conditions. Sometimes that's 70 MPH, sometimes that's 12 MPH.
Objections, your honor. people drive as fast as they dare and as fast as they can get away with. pure result of luck of enforcement. like Moot said- recommendation only. place some 300 automatic speed cameras in I.L's work zone, get some control freak judge to issue them- and i gurren-dern-tee-you,within a month, not even one trucker will do 70 in a 45.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One reason why the speed on I-294 is different than other parts of the interstate system in the Chicago area is the more congestion there is, ie, increased traffic, population, dictates the safest speed limit for that area! Take for example I-80 as you approach Joliet area, it drops to 55mph

and for about 2 miles drops to 45 mph.....doh

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Objections, your honor. people drive as fast as they dare and as fast as they can get away with. pure result of luck of enforcement. like Moot said- recommendation only. place some 300 automatic speed cameras in I.L's work zone, get some control freak judge to issue them- and i gurren-dern-tee-you,within a month, not even one trucker will do 70 in a 45.

Illinois already utilizes speed cameras in certain construction zones. They're white Chevy Express Vans w/tinted windows.
State Police are also starting to park in construction zones in a effort to reduce speeding.