South Carolina: possible to both obey the speed limit & impede traffic

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
10/17/2011 South Carolina: Lower Court Rules Driving 55 Suspicious South Carolina lower court rules driving near speed limit justifies stop, but appeals court finds being near marijuana is not possession.

Spartanburg County Circuit Court Judge Roger L. Couch ruled that driving just 5 MPH under the speed limit, not in the fast lane, is suspicious enough to justify a traffic stop. South Carolina's second highest court on October 5 examined the case, but sidestepped the speed issue to decide whether a man could be convicted of marijuana possession simply because he was in a car that contained the drug.

The three-judge appellate panel reviewed the September 16, 2008 incident that when Nicholas Carl Davy was driving in the middle lane of traffic on Interstate 85 through Spartanburg County. Andre Jackson was a passenger taking a ride to Greenville. He went to school with and was a friend of Davy's 22-year-old son.

The legal speed limit on the road was 60 MPH, but Davy was driving at 55 MPH. Some automakers, fearing liability concerns, intentionally build speedometers that read seven percent too high, or about 5 MPH. It is quite possible for a motorist driving 55 MPH on a 60 MPH road to have cruise control set precisely at the speed limit.

Officer Jonathan Montjoy did not see it that way. He noted that most traffic was cruising at between 70 and 75 MPH, so anyone driving the speed limit would be guilty of impeding traffic. At trial, the judge found that state law prohibits impeding traffic, no matter what the speed limit might be, so the traffic stop was ruled valid.

Once the car was pulled over, Montjoy smelled marijuana and ordered the car searched. Both Davy and Jackson were arrested for possession with intent to distribute marijuana. The appellate court ruled there was no evidence that Jackson had anything to do with the contraband, comparing it to similar cases where a passenger was exonerated after the driver was convicted of carrying drugs.

"Jackson and Davy had only met once previously, at Jackson's grandchild's birthday party," Judge Aphrodite K. Konduros wrote for the panel. "Here, the evidence against Jackson is even less than in either Brown or Blue. The drugs were more out of sight, and the state presented no evidence that Jackson was nervous or made any suspicious movements. Accordingly, the state failed to present sufficient circumstantial evidence of knowledge to submit the case to the jury. Thus, the trial court erred in denying Jackson's motion for a directed verdict."

Because the finding on the possession charge exonerated Jackson, the appellate panel did not bother deciding whether the initial traffic stop was valid.

Source: South Carolina v. Jackson (Court of Appeals, State of South Carolina, 10/5/2011)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If a cop pulled me over and wanted to write me for impeding traffic while doing the speed limit I'd wonder what he was smoking. Gonna keep this story. If I'm ever pulled over for speeding is "I was just avoiding an impeding the flow of traffic ticket" a just defense ? Unbelieveable. Watch out Bobmo !

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
This is very much like the banking regulation that says if you conduct a transaction of $10,000 or more, the bank has to report you for making it, because it's suspicious. But...if you make transactions of under $10,000, they have to report you for making transactions that fall below the reportable amount, because you're trying to stay under that amount, and that's suspicious, too.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Amonger, hate to break this news to you but they report anything over $7000 automatically but they have to have your reason for anything over $10k.

By the way, this opens up the for vacating a lot of speeding tickets seeing that it seems the judge accepted the idea that 70 in a 60 zone is alright.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Amonger, hate to break this news to you but they report anything over $7000 automatically but they have to have your reason for anything over $10k.

By the way, this opens up the for vacating a lot of speeding tickets seeing that it seems the judge accepted the idea that 70 in a 60 zone is alright.

Not only that, but making numerous transactions below the limit is called structuring, and it's a crime even if you were doing nothing illegal.
--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Some automakers, fearing liability concerns, intentionally build speedometers that read seven percent too high, or about 5 MPH. It is quite possible for a motorist driving 55 MPH on a 60 MPH road to have cruise control set precisely at the speed limit."

Isn't that backwards? If the speedo reads too high, the driver would be going slower than indicated.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He was pulled over for doing 60 in a 65. His speedo may have actually read 65. Story is correct.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Just yesterday on I-20 an armored cash truck running left lane doing 55 in a 70. Traffic backed up for miles. SC won't attempt to stop either an armored truck or a scheduled bus (Greyhound etc) unless they feel their creating a danger. Also had a loaded school bus on I26 outside Columbia running left lane running 50mph with about 50 kids on board. I called the S/Patrol dispatch and told them. The female dispatcher told me she wasn't breaking the law and could drive any lane she felt like. What happened to "Keep right except to pass"? It's a real problem in SC because the State patrol is at 60% strength and those are only dedicated to DWI's and Drugs.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
The impeding the flow of traffic thing also applies in Ontario so if the fast lane is doing 70+ doing the speed limit would be impeding the flow. Yes you get a ticket. Of course if it is a slow ay on the highway and everyone is doing 55 and you snake your way through traffic trying to go faster you can get a ticket for dangerous driving or or whatever (depends on cop). So no winning either way.

60MPH

Expert Expediter

Yep when I read it, it seemed the trooper did not mind the people cruising between 70-75 in the 60. What does that say about the law?? I have never been pulled over in SC. and would be unhappy for being pulled over for doing 58-60 which is my cruising speed, in the right lane of course. I think the trooper should be suspended for not stopping those doing 70-75 when he clearly knew they were breaking the law!!

Add what does that say about the judge?? Ruling in favor of impeding when only doing 5 under the limit. The speed limit was 60 and every one else is driving 70-75. WTF, I don't feel safe driving 70-75 and definitely not in a area posted for 60. It's posted 60 for a reason!!!!!!!!! That's freekin 15 over!!! Get caught elsewhere in the state doing 15 over and see what the ticket looks like:mad:

How many of you wanna bet that same trooper would pull over a T/T for doing 73 when everyone else is doing 70-75 when the limit is 60?? I would bet 99-100% probability on getting pulled over.

What the people were doing in the car was wrong and I am glad he pulled them over, but using the reason for impeding traffic is total CRAP.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You see, thats what happens when you listen to country music. First your I.Q. crashes then it results in inbreeding.