something you should never do....

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe I'm being a bit naieve(sp?) here, but it's just something I've never felt that I had to do. I think competent, dependable performance should get you the recognition you need. Maybe that's why I have'nt been as sucessful at this a I think I should have been.

randy123

Expert Expediter
well if its got to be its got to be....i guess i will give the distpatchers 25.00 for every run thay get me over 500 miles...i can do that....i bet i run all the time....so now its who can afford the most will get the runs.....

randy123

Expert Expediter
Tennesseahawk..what company you run for...maby thay need another van.....after my asphalt season is over i will be looking....i pay pretty good......RANDY

wahoofan

Expert Expediter
good comments ohiostomper i will back you up on your comments. It happens everywhere with every company. Favoritism, Politics etc.. this is called life. I have received the lecture from company executives on how worthless most drivers are and how we are a dime a dozen. Don't like it here, well then hit the road. WE do what we want when it comes to moving our freight etc.. WE live in the world of the expendable employee, independent contractor. If you wont move that load someone else will gladly and even not bit** about it too.
I was looking for a job when i found this one and will be looking for another job etc.. Good day folks and have a better day tomorrow!!:D

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Ya know, I used to work for a company (as an independent contractor)who had an unspoken policy that "whoever works here works here only".
Maybe the people you are working for resent the idea you have other interests.......Or, maybe you just offer them a big ol' fat one!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Let me clarify something. I have never given dispatch gifts. I'm only saying that I don't see anything wrong with it. As far as giving money, like Randy is talkng about, I think the owner of any company would be miffed at the prospect, as those are his/her dispatchers. An occasional carton of smokes or case of beer isn't out of the question tho. Take it for what it's worth. There's no guarantee any gifts will make you wealthier. It's just something to ponder.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I'll be honest. I've given little gifts to dispatchers and office personnel. But this was by no means a kickback for them. Usually it was donut holes or bagels on a Monday morning for people I considered co-workers in our labors. Just a way to say thanks for all of their help.

Now, if a gift is given as a payment agreement for certain "special" services, then THAT gift is a bribe.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

randy123

Expert Expediter
i can see a box of donuts and the like for everybody...but you bring the distpatchers smokes,coffee,food,pot,biker mags, or just plain cash...its all the same....randy

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>i can see a box of donuts and the like for everybody...but
>you bring the distpatchers smokes,coffee,food,pot,biker
>mags, or just plain cash...its all the same....randy

You know; these are serious accusations.
Pot?
I thought dispatch personnel at a common carrier was subject to random drug tests as well as the drivers.
Cash?
That's called bribery; and there are laws against it.
I haven't seen the "carrier" actually being named but there are serious ethical issues being discussed.
I'm sure that if this behaviour was happening at any of the major companies all involved would be fired. The FBI should be called in to investigte too.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

I don't think it's considered bribery because we are independent contractors.It is considered a business deal.But with the cost of smokes and booze these days I can't see where it would be worth it.We don't get paid enough to warrent supplementing a dispatcher's habit.Now it might be considered bribery if giving gifts influenced the rate of pay or type of loads given.
Unless your company is paying twice as much as mine I would find a different company.And enjoy drinking and smoking the bribe money you'll save.And if their are any dispatcher reading this, don't get any ideas! We can haul the same freight just under a different name without the extra expense.