Some of you are very entertaining, thanks

broker

Seasoned Expediter
The wife loves to spend the down time reading everyones posts.
Many times she shares what she may feel is stuff I might like to hear about or read.
Lately, I have joined her and been doing my share of "reading"
I want to thank some of you for entertaining me with your less than truthful replies.
Seems a few give out information or thier opinions to try and benifit themselves while misleading others.
This business is so full of rookies and I do mean rookies (never even drove a cross country truck before) they are ripe to listen to all the veterans for advice.

This was not meant to be critical of anyone but a warning to you rookies (like myself) be careful what you believe. Experience is still the best way to learn. It maybe painful at times but you will be rewarded in the end.

The best one to date is how some make it sound like it is best to stay in a dead area, than to try and get out on your own.
Read between the lines, they don't want you going into a good area, that would be more competition.
Stay in the "dead zone" where you will sit longer and slowly see profits escape out the fuel tanks. Keep repeating this and you will soon be no competition.

If the wife had believed the advice of some on EO a few months ago, we would not be out here.

OK, I'll give my advice to possible newbies and if you should or should not get into Expediting.
Things will change I'm sure in the Expediting business but for now:
If you have no experience in all of these three, running a business, have never "lived" (not drove) cross country in a truck with your spouse before and you do not have a healthy nest egg of $$ put away for rainy days, DO NOT DO THIS at this time.

If one thing stuck out in my mind from orientation, it is how many people I spoke to, that had no idea what they were getting into.
There were some that had spent there last dollar just to get to that point. Right off the bat they would have to live off advances and we all know you can't.

Anyone want some truthful opinions or ideas, you are more than welcome to PM me.
BIG JOHN
New to straight truck Expediting, 35 years as a T/T O/O

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Not sure what advise you are referring to, but I got a kick out of your last four letters in your post. TTOO I'm dyslexic so I first saw TOOT. :D As in TOOT your own horn

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Always afraid somthing posted will be taken wrong, so I don't post much.
Again, thanks for not taking anything I said personal.
It was for newbies to be careful what advice they take to heart.

As pointed out, everyone has an opinion, including me.

My opinions are not to scare anyone off from getting into this.
It is that right now you better have some experience and $$$ to succeed in this business. that is what it is, A BUSINESS, not a truck driving job like I had (T/T LEASED O/O.)
Expediting is a much tougher game to make a profit.
So no, I wasn't tooting my horn.
Anyone that can drive a truck, could make $40,OOO the first year steering a company T/T.
BIG JOHN

I'll toot my horn when I'm successful in the Expediting business.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
The best one to date is how some make it sound like it is best to stay in a dead area, than to try and get out on your own.
Read between the lines, they don't want you going into a good area, that would be more competition.
Stay in the "dead zone" where you will sit longer and slowly see profits escape out the fuel tanks. Keep repeating this and you will soon be no competition.

If the wife had believed the advice of some on EO a few months ago, we would not be out here.

OK, I'll give my advice to possible newbies and if you should or should not get into Expediting.
Things will change I'm sure in the Expediting business but for now:
If you have no experience in all of these three, running a business, have never "lived" (not drove) cross country in a truck with your spouse before and you do not have a healthy nest egg of $$ put away for rainy days, DO NOT DO THIS at this time.

Well Big John,
You are not going to like the sound of this but it is not meant as a negative reaction to your post, just the truth.
I have spent time with some of the good people in the recruiting dept. of my carrier. One day I asked out of curiosity who they see fail the most. I expected the answer to be Rookies, maybe white collar workers that think it will be a vacation.
The answer without hesitation was experienced OTR TT drivers. It was explained that they seem to think they know the business better than most ordinary expediters and they are unwilling to be receptive to learning a whole new way of doing business.
Could you possibly be jumping the gun a little bit by making yourself the ultimate source of the truth for the Newbie.
The post referenced above is taken out of context and it is difficult if one persons opinion to stay in a "Dead Zone" has underhanded intent.

Every expediting company handles the relocation of a truck differently and every Fleet Owner has a different opinion and policy as well. Also, what is a dead zone to one type of truck is not a dead zone to another. Things are not always that simple.

I chose to decline my companies offer to deadhead out of the dead zone of Seattle. The same afternoon, a company needed a temp control unit to take artwork to NY. Big pay, big miles.

My wife and I drove TT OTR Houshold Goods for several years. Much of that experience is applicable to expediting; however, we keep our mind open to the many differences.

Oh, also as part of my conversation with the recruiters. They stated that some of the most successful expediters had never driven trucks before.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a very regular reader here, I can't think of anyone recommending someone sit in a dead area. Could you give an example of a thread where you've seen this?

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe I got it all wrong but it seems to ref. the thread where A-Team was questioning the idea of booking backhauls. If it was that thread then you are way offbase about its meaning. Nobody said stay in a dead area, it was merely a discussion about why one would or would not consider backhauls. But hey I could be wrong........

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know there are some true "dead zones". Parts of Idaho, Montana etc. Most of South Dakota!! (threw that in to pick on OVM!!! LOL) I hear that Florida is bad but we do well when we go down there. Same with the Seattle area. I wish I got up there more. I could see my son and his family more often. We have always got good loads out of there with little wait. One persons dead zone is anothers gold mine. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, your are soooo right OVM and when I became a conservitive too. Heaven forbid I think for myself!! Layoutshooter

broker

Seasoned Expediter
First thing I do when listening to someone, is give them respect. What they have to say is just as important as what I have to say. Everyone will always have my full attention. That means listen to what they are saying, not just hearing it.

Though I do respect what some are saying, I can not agree with everyone.
I am very cautious when someone "tells" me something.
Too many times people will tell you what they want you to believe.
I will listen, then I have to touch it before I decide.
Case in point is who is going to make it and who is not.
I am going by touching and the majority that are not making it, are the newbies to the business world.
I did not say that T/T drivers would be the successful ones. I did say those without having run a business, have the extra $$$ it will take at this time to keep things going or who had not spent weeks on the road with thier spouse (maybe that is where you got the T/T idea) should not try this at this time.

Again, I saw people not even make it out the door at orientation, due to the lack of the above.
I also run into those struggling out here and getting ready to head back home, again, they were not prepared.

I'll tell you why T/T drivers are lured to Expediting.
They "read" and "hear" the same stuff. Great pay, light loads, driving a straight truck, 1.50 a mile,etc. Wow, compared to what they are doing, this is a dream "TRUCK DRIVING" job.

What the ads and people selling this type of "self" employment should also be saying is :
"need to know how to run a business"
"need extra cash on hand"
"need to be able to stay away from home (with your spouse) for weeks at a time"

Now, if anyone has those qualifications, please join in.
You have a chance at making it in the Expediting World.

As for those T/T "drivers" who do not make it. They just go back to making $50,OOO a year "driving" a company owned T/T for any number of trucking outfits.

Now the poor person that left a stable 9-5 job with benefits and a good home life that don't make it. Might be a little harder getting that all back.
BIG JOHN

Last edited: