Solo??

tshultz

Seasoned Expediter
Looking to get back into Expediting on a solo level,I have driven team with Fed Ex Custom Critical White Glove and with Panther but teammate wanted to quit.I am a very strong solo driver,meaning that i can put in the hours and do 600+ miles in a shift.Does anyone one know of anyone that will hire a solo only for a straight truck?
Thank you!
Travis Shultz
HCR#61 Box 11038
Mill Creek,Pa 17060
1-814-251-2731 leave message.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Many companies limit solos based on 47mph to 50 mph.
HOS rules will generally keep you from achieving a 600 mile a day average. You may have a little more flexibility with a company that doesn't use qual-comms.

Also with the nature of expediting, you will likely find that you run one day, and then sit the next in order to gain your legal hours back. Most of a solos long runs come over the weekend.
Pickup Friday with a delivery on Monday.

Only other way around is to run a van.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Travis,
Do you own your own truck or are you looking to hire on to a fleet owner as a solo?

If you have your own truck, there are lots of companies that will lease you on. I do agree with Davekc though....if you are looking to run the long runs, look for a smaller company that doesn't monitor the qc as closely..

If you are a driver looking for a fleet owner to lease onto, look at the classifieds here on eo...

Good Luck,

ABC

tshultz

Seasoned Expediter
What would you guess a van is turning monthly on average? I know that it all depends on various things but on average what would you think?
No I do not own I am looking to get on with a fleet owner.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
What would you guess a van is turning monthly on average? I know that it all depends on various things but on average what would you think?
No I do not own I am looking to get on with a fleet owner.

Check the archives . It has been stated many times a van cannot produce adequate revenue split with an owner and driver . Check the van mileage rate , figure what your share would be , and the hours you put in to earn that amount .

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
There are a few companies that look around the whole log thing. I'm not going to name names, because that would be suicidal for everyone involved. And actually, the 45-50 baseline that the dispatchers lay down is only for a bidding time. The actual that you can run on average is usually around 60 mph, depending on the states you are travelling thru. That being said, the best you can run in a calendar day, after fueling, is around 600-660 miles a day (60 mph X 11 hours of driving).

I've actually been able to run 700 miles in an 11 hour period legally, on a hot load thru Oklahoma and Texas. Doesn't happen much, but good to know that you can do it if needed.