SOLO Straight truck make any money?

danm9119

New Recruit
Driver
Hey yall,

I have been offered a position to drive a Straight truck Solo thru Expediter Services leased onto panther, I have 5 years expediting experience back in 2013 running as a team but never as a solo!

Is there money to be made as Solo on Straight truck or should i just stay home lol...

thanks again

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's not a whole lot of solo straight truck drivers around these parts much anymore. That being said, Expeditor Services is known to be straight shooters. Ask them why the last person in the truck is no longer there.

danm9119

New Recruit
Driver
They told me that he left due to family issues, I know i am not going to get rich but at 30% of truck total revenue it doesn't seem like being away from home for 3 weeks at a time is worth it if i am not running.. Trying to find a decent Female teammate seems to be even more difficult lol so was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience running solo. Thanks for the reply

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As Rags said, Expediter Services are straight shooters, and they're not going to put you in a truck just to fail. Panther will likely keep you rolling and happy, just to keep Expediter Services happy is for no other reason. You may not max out your hours every week, but you'll come close.

danm9119

New Recruit
Driver
We shall see what happens.. I will probably stay at home.. $500 a week isn't enough for me to be gone away from wife and 1 year old daughter..

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow, 30%? I remember when 40%/60% was the norm with 60% going to the party paying for fuel.

I'm a solo straight truck driver and I believe I'm doing pretty good, but I get paid 100%.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

danm9119

New Recruit
Driver
I am not working for a fleet owner! Expediters owns the truck and they pay all fuel and maintenance expenses! I keep only 30% of what the truck revenue is per week! They said that if you make $600 a week that your doing good! Idk if that is the norm for a solo or if it’s just a bunch of BS.. They also told me that I cannot negotiate rates or get paid to relocate out of a bad area!!

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
$600 a week wow I could make that much at McDonald's.....before taxes.
That is $15 an hour for 40 hours of work....
How many hours do you plan to drive a week?

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
And remember your bound by hours of service.
You legally can only drive 12 hours a day.
12h x 5days =60 hours
And that's IF you max out your hours each day.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are married with a 1 year old at home....and you are looking for a female team driver?....recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Jason2

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Married with a 1 year old at home... If you go out on the road your spouse will become a single parent, essentially, within 3 months. You'll come home once in a while and expect to make decisions your spouse is already accustomed to making without you. Soon after your spouse will see they don't need you at all.

Bistro$55M

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
$600 a week? Lost their mind? you can find local driving a straight truck for Amazon or drive for moving company. Weekly tips $300-$400, beside salary. Look for moving company driver's job

DeanPaladin

New Recruit
Driver
Solo driving on a straight truck can definitely be profitable, especially with your 5 years of expediting experience. It's a different experience from team driving, but it can still be lucrative. Ultimately, it depends on various factors like the routes you take, your efficiency, and the demand in your area.