Solo in O/O truck... a financial question

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
What are solo ops making, roughly, in someone else's straight truck? Wasn't planning on getting into expediting until a year from March, but circumstances may change soon.

I know there are a lot of factors, I'm just trying to get a rough idea. I would be available pretty much all the time, not much need for home time other than a quick swing by a post office box to pick up congealing mail.

CDL A with all pertinent endorsements (TX), no points, no accidents, no citations in 8 or 9 years (just one then, and then the last one before that was '85), limited driving experience, but did graduate from C1 in Indy a couple years ago (instructors thought I had driven before, guess it just comes natural).

Let me know if you need more info. I could team with an O/O for a bit if he/she wants to get to know my skill level more, but I can get to be a pita to get along with after a while. I'm just lucky that way I guess!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Is this about right?

Gross lets say 10K
40% to the truck
25% fuel includes idleing give or take 2.5%
Leaves 3,500 now pay for business expenses out there everything but food roughly 800 for four weeks.

Now youve got 2,700 left. Pay for any Health Insurance $240 a month, dentist visit, clothing, and Social Security. I doubt at this income that you will pay much in Taxes other than S.S. say about 3K to 4,500 a year.

Savings account for your own truck.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Last check was for two weeks...

Truck gross: 5031.90 (including fsc)
My 65% cut: 3270.74
Fuel: -1119.62
Advances: - 200.00 (used for tolls and truck maint and will get comp later)
Load board: - 100.00 (taken out for entire month)
Take home: 1851.12

Double this, and it's roughly what I do in a month. Hope that helps.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
T-Hawk: Been laid up and off work with pneumonia, and looking at the posts Ive missed reading. Did I read correctly that your take home is over $3600 a month??? To me this is phenomenal!!! I've NEVER had a job where I took home that kind of money. Question:(1) Is that with all of your taxes taken out?? (2)How do you calculate your taxes, if you have to pay them yourself?

The reason I ask is with that kind of money I think I should take a look at driving for an O/O, instead of driving a school bus.

Regards

DooWop

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Read it again. I said that was for the "last two weeks". I just went thru the best month I ever have in expediting. Mostly due to being out the whole month, but a lot to do with being in the right place at the right time with the right company for me.

Currently, we're just adding my income to my wife's, being that she ends up paying enough in taxes for the both of us. This year may be different, maybe not. If you have no other income in the household, I suggest you set yourself up with a good trucking accountant, and pay quarterly... IF you decide to get into expediting.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Looks like I need to reread my own posts. LOL I did say that's roughly what I do. I usually take a week off a month, so I'm not always at 900+. Sometimes I'm around 600 a week, usually 800 a week. Last week my check was 1200. What I was trying to get at was it fluctuates. Sometimes a lot! I get variables of up to $100 or more just from the cost of fuel in a week. Last week was good for fuel. This week will stink, cause of when I fueled.