Software for Fleet Owners

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
What software are you using to keep up with your driver pay and tax information? I'm about to start my first driver and am going to use Quickbooks, unless I get a better ideal from this thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We use Microsoft Excel. Easy to use. Also it is the same software that our carrier and accountant use so transfer of information is very streamline.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use Excel. It's far more advanced than I am but for what I need to do it is very user friendly and does a good job. If I ever need more advanced features it will do whatever I need.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My Suggestion is any of the ones listed below,

Quickbooks Pro
Quicken Business
MS Excel
Microsoft Works Spreadsheet
MS Money

The difference with the Quicken Business is that it has a transportation Chart of Accounts already built into it, the only thing you would have to do is give each expense listing sub accounts to break down your exact expenses to see where your money is going. it will give you a P & L at the end of the year or anytime you decide to run it.

Quickbooks give you a Standard Chart of Accounts, that you would have to enter sub accounts for each of the differnet expenses
Example Account #'s

100.00 your business Checking Account - Income
250 Income Deposited, which would be your total before deductions

xxx Rental
xxx.01 Satellite(Qual-com)
xxx.02 Car?Truck Rental

xxx Bank Fees,
xxx.01 ATM fees
xxx.02 Com Data Fees

xxx Repairs
xxx.01 Repairs
xxx.02 Maintenance
xxx.03 Tires
xxx.04 Parts
xxx.05 Add. Engine Oil Only

xxx insurance
xxx.01 Liability/Collision
xxx.02 Bobtail
xxx.03 Occupational/Workmen Comp

xxx Meals & Entertaiment
xxx.01 Per Deim # of days x 59.00 to get total,
xxx.02 Hotels/Motels

You must use this type of setup in both QB, and Quicken and by useing this software which most of all Accountants, and tax Preparers use can be directly imported into mostly all tax preparation softwares used by them

As far as the other types; Spreadsheets you would have to set up each and every account, so it would be easier to use QB, and Quicken to do you bookkeeping do to a chart of accounts is already set up, you only have to make it to your liking andwhat you want to show in the expenses.

Frank’s Tax andBusiness Service
120 York RD Kings Mountain,
NC28086-3151
(704) 739-4039 Fax: (704) 739-3934
e-mail:
[email protected]
Web Site: Http://www.prep.1040.com/frankstax

Where you can "File Your Return Online"
Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB,

Providing Professional Accounting, Bookkeeping, Payroll and Income TaxPreparation Services

*Circular 230 Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with Treasury Regulationsgoverning written tax advice, please be advised that any tax advice included inthis communication, including attachments, is not intended, and cannot be used,for the purpose of (i) avoiding any federal tax penalty or (ii) promoting,marketing, or recommending any transaction or matter to another person.

Confidentially Notice: This email message is Ifyou have
receivedthis message in error and are not the intended addressee, please advise thesender by reply email and delete this message immediately.

*The IRS doesnot endorse any particular individual tax preparer. For more information on taxreturn preparers go to IRS.gov

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,

We have been using OpenOffice Calc for our business for 6 years. OpenOffice is a free (Open Source) suite of programs that rival Microsoft Office. The is a database program(called Base), spreadsheet (Calc),word proccessor (Writer), something like PowerPoint & more. All (except Base) are as robust as ANY software you would buy off the shelf!

Anyway, as I stated, we use a spreadsheet called Calc, (so much like Excel that you can both import or save your files in Excel format). However, as our fleet has grown, (now 7 trucks), so has our spreadsheet/s. It is becoming very time consuming to track each truck, settlements, expenses,etc. We can still do it, but it is getting to be quite a bit of work.

I see many people are using Quicken or Quickbooks. I can readily see how one of these or something similar would be hugely helpful with tracking tax related expenses. However, having never used either, I am wondering how difficult it is to set up paying contract drivers versus employees, (which seem to be the only payroll options discussed in all the sales liturgy).

We love our spreadsheets because we are used to them & a spreadsheet easily handles calculated fields giving instantaneous results, something a database does not easily handle.

Any suggestions? How difficult to learn/use Quicken or Quickbooks?

thanks,
doug

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
there are a number of trucking software out there but they are very expensive and really not necessary if you sue the software I suggested you should be able to insert what ever your looking for and can use they as a combination like Quicken Personal and Business, or QuickBooks Pro, Excel or MS works spreadsheet are easy to use all you have to do is set up the catergories and codes[h=1]Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB[/h][h=1]Frank's Tax & Business Service[/h][h=1]315 E. King St.[/h][h=1]Kings Mountain, NC 28086[/h][h=1]704-739-4039 [/h][h=1]E-Mail: [email protected])[/h][h=1]Web: www.prep.1040.com/frankstax[/h][h=1]
Circular 230Disclaimer[/h]Circular230: To ensure compliance with the requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advicecontained in our communication (including any attachments) was not intended orwritten to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any taxpenalty or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party anytransaction or matter addressed herein.

Our advice in our communication is limited to the conclusions specifically setforth herein and is based on the completeness and accuracy of the facts andassumptions as stated. Our advice may consider tax authorities that are subjectto change, retroactively and/or prospectively. Such changes could affect thevalidity of our advice. Our advice will not be updated for subsequent changesor modifications to applicable law and regulations, or to the judicial andadministrative interpretations thereof.

Legally privileged and/or confidential information may be contained in ourcommunication; it is intended exclusively for the addressee. Opinions,conclusions and other information expressed in our communication are subject tothe terms and conditions expressed in the governing client engagement letter.If you are not the addressee (or designated representative) indicated in thismessage, you may not disclose, copy, or distribute this message to anyone.Action taken or omitted based on our communication is prohibited and may beunlawful.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com