So you want to become an Expediter here's some info for you

DST001

Expert Expediter
Hello my name's Duncan I'm from Canada I've been doing Expedite for 6 years I have a YouTube channel called Expedite Travels I give tips and weekly Vlogs I welcome you to come and join the journey with me. Here is my latest video for you new people enjoy

Reactions: TeamHutch

John Cassidy

Active Expediter
Researching
Good Afternoon:

Hello from Toronto.. I was looking into expediting here based out of GTA leasing to own a Sprinter van. Some of the money I was told was about 1500 a week net, that is based on drives out west California of course. I was just wondering what the real pay and numbers were. I was looking at ATA in mississauga, Thompson Expedite and TST. I come from an IT/Computers background believe it or not, just tired of the politics an d moving around. I am very used to long hours, easily 12 hour days, weekends etc, I don't mind hard work. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
John

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With Thompson and TST you won't be running to California, but Thompson should keep you busy in the Toronto-Michigan/Ohio corridor.

Reactions: Opel2010

John Cassidy

Active Expediter
Researching
Hi Scott:

Many thanks for your reply. Actually, that would be much better, as I would not be away from home quite as much. Is that kind of money achievable though, netting 5k a month?

Thanks,
John

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Net might be tough if you're having to go out and get a new sprinter or transit/promaster. I think with TST you could get by with a regular van but I don't know how they run.

John Cassidy

Active Expediter
Researching
Hi Scott:

Thanks, on that topic, is the Sprinter diesel that much better than a transit or promaster?

Thanks,
John

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
"lease to own" should send a shiver up your spine ... Regardless of what type of vehicle your talking about. "Net" income means different things to different people. 1,500 a week in hand after covering all of your expenses is not achievable on a consistent basis in todays van market

John Cassidy

Active Expediter
Researching
Thanks folks, I spoke to an expediter company yesterday. Lease to own, they are recommending the 2015 or 16 Ford Transit, they say the MB Sprinter has too many issues with the computer after x amount of miles, and the promaster is you get what you pay for, build quality etc.. They pay $1 a mile, so I'd be looking more at $5k a month after lease, gas, insurance etc.. Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

Thanks,
John

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It sounds like someone saying, I'll call you tomorrow or the checks in the mail.

Reactions: ttruck

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Have you read the posts here where vanners are saying rates are in the :censoredsign:ter ? Are they guaranteeing you 8000 dollars a month ?

John Cassidy

Active Expediter
Researching
Yes, I see things are not great in the US, the company I am speaking with is pretty reputable up here, as I was referred to them. They are averaging about 45-48 calls per day, they have 37 drivers.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The devil is always in the details. Do yourself a favor and read some of the lease purchase discussions on truckers report. It's entirely different equipment, but, the potential issues are similar. No one will guarantee you a certain number of miles per week, sometimes you'll get them, sometimes you won't. Bear in mind that empty miles cost you just as much to run as paid/loaded miles.

John Cassidy

Active Expediter
Researching
Well, that's why I am putting all this in here, if I am wrong please let me know how and what I am wrong about. I am humble enough to admit I don't know jack squat yet on all of this, and that's why I am here.

Ed, thanks for that tip.. I will look at the purchase/lease agreements..

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks folks, I spoke to an expediter company yesterday. Lease to own, they are recommending the 2015 or 16 Ford Transit, they say the MB Sprinter has too many issues with the computer after x amount of miles, and the promaster is you get what you pay for, build quality etc.. They pay $1 a mile, so I'd be looking more at $5k a month after lease, gas, insurance etc.. Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

Thanks,
John
be carful be very carful, you will be living in this van I don't drive a van but from what ive seen and heard its tuff out there personally straight truck is the way to go most of the older van operators have paid there units off so they can make a dollar, just getting started is hard these days.

Reactions: brokcanadian

John Cassidy

Active Expediter
Researching
Hi There:

Thanks for that, what is involved in getting a straight truck licence? Do you require a DZ licence?

Thanks,
John

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ask for contact information for their current drivers. Contact the drivers and find out from them what's actually going on out on the road.

Then you can make an informed decision.

That company might be the hidden gem that you can make a good buck at or it could just be another bottom-feeder looking to get as many guys hired on as possible.

Without knowing who the company actually is nobody on here will be able to give you the information that you're looking, for you need to go directly to the source.