So Far So Good...

gavinsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Just a quick question. Started expediting this January, and decided to crunch some numbers while I was preparing my IFTA 100. I am a solo o/o in a Super-D and have averaged $2,250.00 a week before expenses, since I started. Are these good numbers for a Newbie o/o? No complaints about the job or my carrier, just wondering how these numbers stack up against other solo D-Units out there.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not bad at all- see if that averages out over the long term. Feb & March are the killers for me, so as they say, make hay while the sun shines. I notice that you must prepare your own fuel tax? Too bad- it's a pain in the arse. Make sure to take all the credits- most larger companies do that for you...

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I met a FedEx driver the other day that was in a D Unit.
Said he was solo driver and was only getting about 2 loads a week.
I asked him if he was turning down loads and he said he couldn't
take the little loads..not making any money on them. He said he
was waiting on a large load to make up for the 4 days he has been
sitting. He said he was on verge of going under. Maybe he should
take some of the lesser paying loads to get to a bette load or
place.

Glad u are not doing as bad as this guy.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Expediting by lease to a carrier is a touch and go business; that's just the way expediting, as we commonly know it, has been for many years. We have fixed and recurring expenses that accrue even while setting still. By turning down a short load today, you'll need a longer load tomorrow, and an even longer run the next day, ad infinitem. Pretty soon an owner will need a three thousand dollar run just to break even on the idle time. Sometimes we second quess a run offer and refuse a fair load offer to get a good load offer and finally settle for a poor load offer. The latter may be fiscally necessary just to prevent the downward spiral toward insolvency.

The average for a solo D truck driver with Fedex Custom Critical for the years 2005 and 2006 was nearly $1800 weekly. If this is a good benchmark, I'd say Gavinsdad is doing at least average when considering inflation and fuel cost increases.

Many EO members with their own authority, who do a combination of expedite and LTL, often gross more money by working harder at staying busy. Some owner/operators have a carrier that allows an owner to get their own freight when not busy with the carrier's customers; these folks maximize their revenue stream by avoiding the idle time.
The time, they are a changin' as is evidenced by the comments of many of our members as well as the subject of the current home page article titled: "Stu Sutton's vision: The GPSNet Technologies story"