Smartphone scanning of paperwork

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Tried to download the Pegasus Transflow app to my phone. It supposedly let's you scan and send your paperwork with an android or iphone. I got as far as the page titled "Add New Fleet" and could not figure out what to type for Fleet id and Driver id. Anyone successfully downloaded this app yet?
Thanks

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
You're right Turtle. For me it was PWTW for Panther and my truck number was the driver number. Just finished scanning in PROs and BOLs using my phone and then sending them to Panther. It was fast and easy. This is a great app.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
What is the cost per document for either sender or receiver? Not stated on the app page at iTunes or the transflonow mobile site.

I've downloaded the app, without any problem, but am waiting for the carrier to see if they want to use it or not before I can activate it.

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only cost would be data charges on either end but your plan should cover that. There's no cost to use the app.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Scott. They're looking into it...the website does say for the Transflo Now (not the mobile app) that it is for users of their Trasnflo truck stop scanning and the rate would be same per scan, bit not what that rate is, or if it applies to app users. Not very clear.

I'll pass along the info to the controller and let them look further into it. Overall sounds extremely helpful and efficient.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not familiar with that app so shouldn't have presumed there's no cost per use but as far as scanning apps go I've never seen any costs associated with using them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The carrier sets up an account with Transflo and pays Transflo weekly or monthly fees. I'm not exactly sure how it's done, but there is no per-use or per-page fee to the one doing the scanning. Some carriers may charge back the contractor a fee, though, but far as I know most don't. When you scan and submit it through the phone app, the computer in-cab scanning application, or Transflo scanning at the truck stop, it's all the same. So if your carrier uses Transflo at the truck stops, then you can use the phone or computer app to do it, same thing.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Turtle - that's helpful. I'll pass it along to the controller. I like that this app deskews the image, lets you crop, and further optimizes each scan, then compresses associated docs and bundles them before sending.

I wonder how many drivers just send in standard smartphone pics of their delivery docs...

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
We've received paperwork from drivers using either Drive-Axle or Camscanner. Both work great. The latter offers more control I feel but the former is better for the less tech savvy.

Sent thru cyberspace from my Samsung Galaxy S2

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
To revive an old thread I'd contributed to:

I've been using the free Genius Scan app for iOS recently, to great success and no complaints from those on the receiving end. It actually does better scans and enhnacing than either of my desktop scanner/printers. I no longer even carry a printer/scanner in the van, using only the app now to scan delivery docs. I can then email them directly from the app as either PDF or jpg. The paid upgrade allows you to send to dropbox or wireless printer, etc.

All in all, even in the free version, very handy and easy.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Another free app I just started using is JotNot. I use it on my iPhone and don't know if they have apps for Droid or Windows phones. It also deskews and makes cropping easy. I think I'll try CamScanner for comparison. But JotNot converts to jpeg and drops to the photo album. Easy to email from there. Faxing on JotNot is possible, but apparently not free. You have to buy "credits".

Deville

Not a Member
I have been useing Handy scanner since last year & I have really enjoyed it. It's made my life a lot easier when i'm out on the road & need to get paper work into my system.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'll try the Google Drive Scanner app next, as I already use Google Drive for storage. If nothing else, it would save a step with emailing them as I can text....."Ok, I have uploaded the BOLs to Google Drive." Of course, I now typically email the broker agent/dispatcher and our office the BOLs within 5 minutes of dropping the load. Usually while still sitting on the consignee's property. These scanner apps are GREAT for speeding up the process.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Tried CamScanner just now. Easier to use than JotNot but if you email the BOL, which I always do, it places their "advertising" at the bottom right. At least on the free version. JotNot does not do this. Just FYI. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1369751786.342045.jpg