slack adjusters

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
To remove slack adjuster you will need snap ring pliers and a regular pair of pliers or vice grip and whatever adjustment tools you need to back off the brakes and probably a hammer.

First chock your wheels
release parking break
get under truck
back off (loosen) the brake
remove cotter pin through the clevis pin
remove the clevis pin
back off brake a little more to get the slack adjuster out of the clevis
remove the snap ring holding the slack adjuster to the S cam
remove the flat washer behind snap ring
slide the slack adjuster off of the S cam
reverse the process to reinstall

Some slack adjusters have two clevis pins a small one and big one and you must remove both. The clevis is that attaches the slack adjuster to the brake chamber rod.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
what am i missing here? how can a slack adjuster wear out. i could see them getting bent or damaged, but not wearing out. where is our friend piper with his simple words to explain this?

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
if not properly greased it will I didn't start off with this truck new but with the offer to buy it at the price and interest even in bad times and a lot of work i can make it work

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
if not properly greased it will I didn't start off with this truck new but with the offer to buy it at the price and interest even in bad times and a lot of work i can make it work

I understand the "can make it work" part very well. Same thing I did. And am still doing. But I love grease! And the smell of Go-Jo.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
A slack adjuster can show wear on the clevis pins and also the holes in the clevis that the pins go through.