Skid size

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I have read on some posts that Sprinter vans can get three skids deep. If a standard skid is 48 inches wide, what is the length measurement? How much floor space do you need for three skids? Thanks :+ :+

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Standard skid is 48 x 48. Many are 48 x 40, after that there are many samller sizes and some bigger custom built for machinery, doors, etc.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Thats correct a standard size is 48x40, the problem may be freight overhang. 48X48 is common to Automotive and again they tend to "super Size" the pallet. Good luck and as my sleeper builder always says "Bigger is better!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, Terry, Rene', and Glen Rice. According to the Chev/GMC sales literature, the rear door to front seat measurement is 147.8 inches. A Chev/GMC van should carry three 48 X 48 skids. Is this possible? Terryandrene, doesn't your sleeping area have "barn doors" that allow for a third skid? :+ :+

taleach

Expert Expediter
I can carry 3 48x48 skids in my GMC extended van. I do not have a bulk head. When I did I couldn't get three in there.....

Marty

Veteran Expediter
You better be short. To put three skids in a gm van the seat needs to be all the way up.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
OldProf:

What's an A load, B load etc.?

Roberts Express, the forerunner of FedEx Custom Critical, set the standard for an A load as one cube and a B load as two cubes; a cube being defined as one 48" x 48" x 48" unit. An A load was 500 lbs or less and a B load was 501 to 2000 lbs. In the beginning, standard mini-vans and cargo vans were well suited for this freight.

Time, vehicle modifications and competition redefined these standards in various ways. Some carriers will let you stuff as much weight or bulk into a van but won't pay more. Others pay more if you'll agree to take the extra bulk or weight and others won't budge from the specified freight specs and insist the shipper leave some behind or order a larger truck. In an effort to take advantage of the varying freight dimensions, B unit O/O's started modifying their trucks with high tops, buying cut-aways with box additions and coverting small straight trucks to B sized units. As the cost of buying and operating these trucks increased, we added more and more living space so we could stay out longer to earn the same net money as the previous year. Round and round we go.

As the shippers recognized many of the O/O's would carry greater weight rather than lose the load, they insisted the next carrier do the same, so in order to meet or beat the competition carriers changed the definition of a B load to 2500 lbs. At least one carrier says a B load is 3000 lbs. (In my opinion, a 3000 lb load in a standard van, with the typical personal gear and equipment we carry, is outrageously unsafe.) In addition, the carriage of three 48" skids is also changing the definition of a B load. If this becomes the industry standard, those of us with a sleeper equipped standard cargo van will no longer be able to operate it as a B unit.

The oldprof sez:
According to the Chev/GMC sales literature, the rear door to front seat measurement is 147.8 inches. A Chev/GMC van should carry three 48 X 48 skids. Is this possible? Terryandrene, doesn't your sleeping area have "barn doors" that allow for a third skid?

Prof: My short answer is No. I have 82" of floor space with doors closed, open I have 8.5 feet. The latter being the FedEx Custom Critical minimum.

Terry

WWE

Expert Expediter
Question. I have a 93 Chevy Suburban. I actually measured the opening in the rear (cargo doors) and I came up with 3' 5" High, with 4' at top and 4'2" at bottom opening. In reading your posts about "skid size" I saw the post that said the average skid is 48 X 48 X 48-- which is 2' all the way around. Could I use, and has anyone seen someone use a suburban. Shes a big girl-- bigger then the average Suburban. Both taller and bigger body. Im not sure why-- I think it was meant to be a contractors truck. What is your guy's opinions?

Doug

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
WWE

Your Suburban has three major drawbacks....
1. I'm not aware of any company that will sign on a 12 year old truck
2. your door opening height will restrict a large percentage of loads available...even if your Suburban was new
3. I'll bet you have a large V-8 meaning your mpg's would eat up the profit diesels will provide the best economy

Most companies require your vehicle to be no older than 6 years, when signing on...and many will not renew if the vehicle is older than 6 years

If you have not yet driven in the industry...find an owner to drive for using his van. Keep your money in your pocket... there are plenty of fair and honest owners looking for drivers... try the classifieds on this forum.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
WWE: I Didn't say the average skid was 48x48x48. I said a cube was described as 48x48x48 and that a standard B load was two cubes. Perhaps I should have added "or equivalent" because we often get pallets of cartons taller than our opening of 47". With the customers permission, we breakdown pallets and relocate within the available van space. I hope this clarifies.