Sign on bonus with fdcc

harleynana9302

Seasoned Expediter
Has anybody else heard the new advertising for Custom Critical? Only caught part of it, but it stated that there is now a $1000 sign on bonus......Do they know something that we don't about freight breaking open SOON with the rates coming back up???????

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Has anybody else heard the new advertising for Custom Critical? Only caught part of it, but it stated that there is now a $1000 sign on bonus......Do they know something that we don't about freight breaking open SOON with the rates coming back up???????

Are you sure it is a sign on bonus and not a retention bonus? You know FDCC culls its fleet of the bottom performers every year about this time. Perhaps they are going to pay a retention bonus to keep their top performers kinda like the military's re-enlistment bonus. Nothing like the 4star for saying yes to all the non-profitable freight but a true bonus for the ones that turn problems into opportunities saving the freight and the customer relationship. It dosen't make much sense to pay 1k to an unknown having to train etc. when all they have to do evaluate what it takes to keep the good ones from jumping.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know they are recruiting hard. I met up with a newb van the other night for a transfer, extremely nice lady, has no chance of surviving. In the brief conversation I had I gleaned that it's a hotel every night, is turning down half the runs because they are too long :)eek:), leaves home town with load and then wants next load to return back to home town, and does not like driving at night (also :eek:).

I felt really bad for her. Brand new van (short body tho) and my gut feeling was she was not told the whole truth just to get her on board (or they hoped she would turn into a decent operator). She seemed intelligent enough top me that these questions would have been asked. Maybe I misread the whole situation.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, they are recruiting hard. They are paying a $1000 sign on bonus and also advertising that they have openings in the expedited AND dedicated run divisions. I have never seen a dedicated run. Anyone know anything about those? :confused:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I transfered with the driver of a DS truck in Newark. He lives in Jamaica, NY and only runs 200 miles from his home, sleeps in his own bed at night and makes pretty good money.
The down side is he lives in Jamaica, NY and mostly does NYC runs.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, they are recruiting hard. They are paying a $1000 sign on bonus and also advertising that they have openings in the expedited AND dedicated run divisions. I have never seen a dedicated run. Anyone know anything about those? :confused:

I found out about a dedicated run the hard way. Accepted Romeoville Il to West Va. after 50 mi toward Romeoville they took me off the run, explaining that it was supposed to be dedicated to another driver. THANKS A LOT!!!!

aileron

Expert Expediter
I know they are recruiting hard. I met up with a newb van the other night for a transfer, extremely nice lady, has no chance of surviving. In the brief conversation I had I gleaned that it's a hotel every night, is turning down half the runs because they are too long :)eek:), leaves home town with load and then wants next load to return back to home town, and does not like driving at night (also :eek:).

I felt really bad for her. Brand new van (short body tho) and my gut feeling was she was not told the whole truth just to get her on board (or they hoped she would turn into a decent operator). She seemed intelligent enough top me that these questions would have been asked. Maybe I misread the whole situation.

Last september when I went to orientation to get into a tractor, I felt so bad for at least half of the people in the orientation. They had no idea what they were getting into, no idea what expediting was, and like you said, no chance of survival.

I don't know why they prefer getting people there without explaining to them how things work. The result is that they will be gone shortly. To me, better tell them in the beginning and as a result they will have less people to train, but they will survive.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
The ad I saw was specific.

$1,000.00 sign on bonus for tractor trailer DOD qualified.

I can't remember if it said teams but I would guess it did.

Special K

Expert Expediter
It is probably true that they have a lot of trouble retaining "enough" T/T's. So many drivers come from "big trucking" (general freight) and can't get rid of the mindset that "if you don't get the miles, you don't get the money." Almost all of them have a really hard time with the "sitting and waiting" part, and many give up and go back to general freight because that's what they know, without really giving much effort to getting used to it. Couple that with the fact (speaking as former "E" unit O/O's ourselves) that many times those great big "E" units are actually carrying "C" and "D" loads, when the general freight guys feel like they "have to have the truck full" to make money, and it's fairly surprising that any of them stay with it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would not be surprised to see a retention bonus in the near future, offered to drivers with good safety records. Carriers of all types are figuring out that CSA 2010 is for real, as is the driver shortage CSA 2010 is projected to produce.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would not be surprised to see a retention bonus in the near future, offered to drivers with good safety records. Carriers of all types are figuring out that CSA 2010 is for real, as is the driver shortage CSA 2010 is projected to produce.

It is going to put safe drivers in demand and allow them to demand higher wages.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe that 2009 safe driver stuff I got recently is going to be worth more than I thought. :D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

I know that several LG loads are dedicated.

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
I worked with a team yesterday on an art load that had no idea what they were doing...also sent into canada on it...no qualcom working , no gps, no c.b., wrong type of trailer, didnt know what an ace manifest was, im not sure they even had a map on board....they told me they usualy only do a "dedicated" pharmaceutical run...it was an ER unit...go figure...fk

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter

Yes, I know about the dedicated T-Val Tractor Trailer teams but they are specifically told not to talk about it so I know absolutely nothing about the dedicated T-Val Tractor Trailer teams and neither do you so lets keep it that way if you know what I mean. ;)

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I dont know about no bonus for this company.

Thanks for the Information.

Bubble Head So I take it what ur saying is FedEX is doing a RIF. Realy So if you got the inside scoup then let us in on it.1 load a week!! Crazy Train, Crazy is how it goes.
Oh ya Bubble Head Thanks man and take care..

Last edited: