Should I buy 2 or 4 winter tires?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I kinda re-inherited from my kids. I put 4 snow tires on it and run those year round. This car is lucky to see 2000 miles a year so I can't see messing around with 8 tires. Even it was a daily commuter I would put snows on all four positions for the winter. Having a good bite with the front tires will help pull you through snow and ice and also aid in stopping on the same.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree with Moot.
Stopping is nice.
I usually agree with Moot.
Except if he's been drinking.
Or maybe it's when I've been drinking.
Hell, I can't remember. I just know alcohol is usually involved.

Reactions: ntimevan

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Moot.
Stopping is nice.
I usually agree with Moot.
Except if he's been drinking.
Or maybe it's when I've been drinking.
Hell, I can't remember. I just know alcohol is usually involved.

Moot’s got Minnesota cred on this subject

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Moot

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Cool so four it is..stopping is nice. Schwan you have a point. It's not about pushing or pulling for me. It's about the B.S. up and down twisty, turny, hills in PA!

Reactions: xmudman

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Quick note...My old ford had tires with a max PSI of 80. Door sticker said 75 PSI so that's what i put in tires. BUt when I bought winter tires those tires said 50 MAX. This year different tires same thing 50! Weird.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Quick note...My old ford had tires with a max PSI of 80. Door sticker said 75 PSI so that's what i put in tires. BUt when I bought winter tires those tires said 50 MAX. This year different tires same thing 50! Weird.
Not wierd, PSI depends on ply rating. Cars use 4 ply, trucks use 6,8 or 10 ply. Not sure what you are driving but if door says 10 ply then that is what you need

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You bought SUV tires. Don't exceed max pressure on sidewall, or weight rating. I've done it once, you likeky won't die

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Brokcanadian...weight rating? So you're saying even though my wan is rated for a payload of 3500lbs..but these winter tires are only about 2100lbs. that I should only haul 2100 lbs?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If they only take 50psi....they are not commercial rated tires and will not handle the payload you stated.

Your van likely came with E rated tires...or 10ply as some call them...and on a 16 inch rim they usually have a weight rating somewhere around 3042 lbs each at 80 psi. Yes...that adds up to 12,000 lbs of gross weight capacity but you need a fair bit of a margin of safety...especially in a higher mileage application...going into a turn or off ramp for example puts tremendous loads on tires....hence the safety factor.

There is a reason P tires are cheaper than LT tires in the same size.

IMHO...with the light tiees you have...I wouldn't want any more than 1000 lbs in the van....and those tires will wear quickly as they were not built to handle what you're doing....likely run hot too.

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Piper...I believe the tires were E-rated at 3100lbs 80 psi. those tires are on the back. The winter tires are p rated 2100lbs. 50 psi.. i think.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
"P" is not a rating, it's a type of tire. As in p-metric. Not for what we do.
Gotta be an LT tire, load range E (as in 10ply).
Fwd implies promaster which are lt225/75/16 (I believe, I could be wrong).