sevice failure

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I got a late [service failure] cause i refused a load [6 mins after it was offered to me,the van that takes it is late and it counts against me as a late and i get a refusal.Coming up on four years with panther and never heard of such a policy,with them or any other company.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Something doesn't sound right on this one. You refused the load. Then another truck took it and was late. And you were charged with a service failure? If that is what took place, I would call Contractor Relations. That should take care of things. You can't fail when you didn't take the load.

Good Luck

Road Hooligan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sounds like a inexperienced dispatcher. Call contractor relations. They can review QC messages and that should take care of it.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the responses,this is beyond drivers relations its policy and the person responsible for it won't return my calls.It's typical for panther to make policys like this,and when it suits them or the customer there policys are broken.If there was a company that treated the driver as a customer you would really have something.Bullrush makes a good point,policys aside i am making less money each year and doing more loads per year,shame on me right.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
In all fairness,the service failure was taken away,however i didn't get my call returned and the policy still stands.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am not sure what the problem is? They took the refusal off and you are saying they are not following a policy. It is not their policy to call you. I drive for Panther and I still don't understand what you are worried about one refusal for. That is not going to make or break anything. We are staying busy and only refuse the short stuff. The key is to stay in the right freight areas regardless of what refusals you have ect. If you are in the right area they want to make money as well. They are not going to refuse you a load because of the above. If they did, half of their fleet would be sitting. That is not what I am seeing out here.

gambler

Expert Expediter
>I am not sure what the problem is? They took the refusal off
>and you are saying they are not following a policy. It is
>not their policy to call you. I drive for Panther and I
>still don't understand what you are worried about one
>refusal for. That is not going to make or break anything. We
>are staying busy and only refuse the short stuff. The key is
>to stay in the right freight areas regardless of what
>refusals you have ect. If you are in the right area they
>want to make money as well. They are not going to refuse you
>a load because of the above. If they did, half of their
>fleet would be sitting. That is not what I am seeing out
>here.

dave refusing the short stuff isnt cool either you cant always get a t-bone sometimes you have to take a burger...for the customer and the company otherwise the carriers would lose many of their customers. i want to always have the trucks running the big loads to,but you have to be a TEAM player for everyones sake.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I should have clarified myself on short loads. It is not that we refuse every short load. It has to pick up where I am located and generally move me into another freight area. In otherwords, I don't deadhead 100 miles to pick up a 100 mile load. I also don't pick up 100 mile loads that take all day.(Chicago) Bottom line is, I have to see an advantage or have to make some money at it. We don't run for free. But if I am last on the board and they give me 1st out, then I will take something. Better than sitting there. In addition, we are a team truck, so I generally run mostly team loads. Up to this point they seem ok with that. We stay pretty busy.

gambler

Expert Expediter
dave that makes alot more sense,hopefully you see that i wasnt attacking you just pointing out for the newbies that you cant be "too" choosy when your in this biz. ;)

thunderhorse 1

Expert Expediter
>I got a late [service failure] cause i refused a load [6
>mins after it was offered to me,the van that takes it is
>late and it counts against me as a late and i get a
>refusal.Coming up on four years with panther and never heard
>of such a policy,with them or any other company.
well,i see i am not the only one trying to deal with the youngsters in panther dispatch.the problem is panther only pays these kids a few bucks an hour and the rest is paid by a gov. work program.some of these kiddies seem to think they are the drivers boss.others are just plain unconcerned or totally confused.driver relations consists of trying to get you off the phone.consider this,you and i have been with panther longer and are recieving a higher per mile rate than the newbies.who do you think will get the good runs? when a panther dispatcher told me "you make more on this one run than i make in a week! you should be happy to get it, get directions to the shipper yourself!" that was the day i started searching for another company. panther was real good untill about the last 5mos. i have seen the worm turn ,its time to move on to a more professionally run company, good luck to ya.