Self employed helps?

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Hello! I am considering returning from Europe and getting into expediting. I have been reading these forums the last few months, but have a few questions. Some of them maybe a little odd.

I have 18 years/800k OTR experience with my own import/export company(sold in 2004). 1)Can I use this as experience as expeditor when filling out the jobs forms? I know its not exactly the same, but similar as I was on the road with e350 vans and box trucks close to 35-40 weeks per year. No tickets or accidents ever.

2)Previous self employed experience is looked on as a positive by the carriers?

3)Don't have any work recommendations for last 7 years as I am overseas running a PC shop. Will this sink me? I do have all my tax returns for business(USA) including travel/fuel expenses etc.

I basically want to get back on the road and come back home.

Thanks

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Certainly include that experience in your applications. The primary requirement, especially for bigger well-known carriers, is mirror fogging and herd compatibility. Good luck.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Leo;

A pulse helps the qualification process also! :)

John

greg334

Veteran Expediter
WOW so d8mn helpful there guys.

On to the OP's questions.

I have 18 years/800k OTR experience with my own import/export company(sold in 2004).

Great start. I think it is an asset for you and you can bring that up.

1)Can I use this as experience as expeditor when filling out the jobs forms? I know its not exactly the same, but similar as I was on the road with e350 vans and box trucks close to 35-40 weeks per year. No tickets or accidents ever.

Yep in a way, but you are not applying for a job, you are applying for a contractor's position which means that you will have to have documented 10 years of previous employment. This is not a carrier requirement but a federal one. ANY professional driving experience helps, always remember that.

2)Previous self employed experience is looked on as a positive by the carriers?

Not really unless you are doing something outside of this work we call expediting - like heavy haul stuff. Most of the time, they are looking to see if you are a safe driver because of insurance costs.

3)Don't have any work recommendations for last 7 years as I am overseas running a PC shop. Will this sink me? I do have all my tax returns for business(USA) including travel/fuel expenses etc.

Actually you can prove it with a letter from the shop owner or some other way of proving it. A few carriers use outside verification services and they may require an affidavit to be signed and notarized as what you did. It isn't as intense as a process as many would think, some carriers (won't name who) don't even check more than the last two.

I basically want to get back on the road and come back home.

Thanks

You're welcome.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What? I answered 1 and 3. Yes use the experience in 1 and no worries with 3 so long as you can fog a mirror and be compatible with the herd some companies will throw you in.

John, I thought about just using pulse but decided to go with mirror fogging instead, both suggesting alive and breathing is pretty much it with some of them.