Seems Busy

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
It seems to be busy for expediters or am I wrong. I travel 696 and I 94 in Mich every day and am seeing a lot of expediter trucks. Are times good or are they slow.

Rollo

Seasoned Expediter
Guess it depends as usual. Last year, 2005 was extra-ordinary! This year seems normal until you examine what you are getting paid per loaded miles. Seems to be some deep discounting going on in certain regions. My own experience is down about 20% in loaded miles and 5% in revenue per loaded mile. I am having to be more patient and avoiding dead heading to survive these trends. Result is more lengthy time away from home base and too many lay-overs for the same bottom line.

PantherPower

Seasoned Expediter
I might say the reason you see so many expedite trucks in that area isn't necessarily indicitive of the amount of freight. It is the area that has perhaps the most customers. Remember that Detroit and Lansing have automotive plants and they are one of the biggest users of expedite trucks. Especially Detroit. There are also many suppliers in that area that ship to these plants as well as other factories around the country.

I, personally, have been busy all year running solo for most of it. Recently I have found myself in Michigan quite a bit but not doing any more runs than usual. Sometimes it kicks up a notch just before Christmas shutdown while everyone tries to get their quotas met.

So to me, it's pretty much business as usual. Not any more than usual for this time of year in my opinion.

Anyone else care to share their view??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Same here....busy when you drive for a flat rate contract as most vans do, you've already sold your sole so rates mean very little...we're locked into one rate.
December has been just as busy as 2005,04,03 as shippers clear off the floors, catch up back orders and clear stock for the end of a quarter. First 2 weeks of January should be dead.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther has been keeping me very busy the past few weeks. I hope this trend continues into next week as I plan on shutting down for the week between Christmas and New Years.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I live in that area (St. Clair Shores) and everytime i travel 94 or 696 i will see an expedite truck, i think its just the high amount of freight in that area.