seeking advice on a job offer

sanderson

Rookie Expediter
I talked with fleet owner that has cargo vans leased on with an expedite company. I asked about pay and was told it's about $500 - $600 wkly paid biweekly with consistent loads however paychecks can be delayed due to either large or unexpected business expenses. The driver position is w2 employee not 1099. The company pays for fuel. There is no sleeper or bunk area so I will have to provide my own "bedding". Van may not be insulated but I'm going to ask. I have a sleeping bag but it won't be comfortable sleeping in it on the floor so I will have look into other options. If it's not well insulated, I'm trying to find out what I'm going to do when it gets extremely hot during the summer.

Any advice or other questions I should ask fleet owner before jumping onboard?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If a potential employer says "paychecks may be delayed due to large or unexpected business expenses", that's your cue: run - fast and far. He's telling you that you may not get paid when it's due, what else do you need to hear: that he may need to borrow money from you, now & then?

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
I talked with fleet owner that has cargo vans leased on with an expedite company. I asked about pay and was told it's about $500 - $600 wkly paid biweekly with consistent loads however paychecks can be delayed due to either large or unexpected business expenses. The driver position is w2 employee not 1099. The company pays for fuel. There is no sleeper or bunk area so I will have to provide my own "bedding". Van may not be insulated but I'm going to ask. I have a sleeping bag but it won't be comfortable sleeping in it on the floor so I will have look into other options. If it's not well insulated, I'm trying to find out what I'm going to do when it gets extremely hot during the summer.

I started a post called summertime was very informative and entertaining you might checkeck that out isnt that old

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

Find another Fleet Owner to drive for. Payroll is a business expense,if he can't pay you on time,what else can't he pay on time, truck payment maybe? I had a friend a few years back driving for a Fleet Owner, the Finance company had the truck repossessed,while the driver was sitting at a truck stop on layover.Don't know how they found him but they did. Qualcomm maybe.

garylentz

Rookie Expediter
if you plan to do some hard running i did 9,000 in 3 weeks you need a sleeper espar heater and any thing that will save you money. :cool:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Here's what I think this guy is telling you. He's undercapitalized or failing.
He is spending more on the driver than most would.
It can be done in a straight (w-2) but not enough income in most van operations to make it work.
If you can afford to wait for your money, or lose some if he goes belly up, give him a try if he's likable.
If he turns it around you may benefit greatly.
If you aren't willing to gamble on him, run.
It does sound like quite a gamble.

sanderson

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for your responses. I decided that job offer wasn't the right fit for me. I've got a few more fleet owners to talk to before figuring out what the next step will be.