Security Tape

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I received an e-mail from a contractor today that raises more questions than satisfactory answers. I'm wondering what experience, if any, others have had with shippers who insist on putting security tape on your truck door after the load is on the truck?

The security tape is exactly that, security tape. It is designed to be unremovable and only cut open when the door is opened. Removing the tape will also remove the paint.

The idea from the shipper's point of view is that intact tape will show the load has not been tampered with while in transit. That works for shippers but for the owner operators who have to pay to have their truck door repainted and suffer the down time to have it done, security tape is something altogether different.

Diane and I have never had a shipper that wanted to use security tape. We had one recently that put a label on the truck door that took me an afternoon to remove without damaging the paint.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I was at a dock with freight freshly loaded and a shipper wanting to put paint-damaging tape on the truck. My instinct would be to prohibit the use of that tape and start conversations intended to find an alternative that is acceptable. If no solution could be found, I see little choice but to have the freight taken off the truck. It is unlikely that a shipper would agree to pay for the required paint job and the down time it would take to get it.

I'm raising the question now in hopes of avoiding later that undesirable outcome.

One thing we have going for us in a TVAL truck is the door alarm that is now built in. Dispatch can tell when the door is closed and opened. Perhaps shippers would accept that as an alternative to security tape. But the problem is that a loading dock guy will not be aware. With his upcoming lunch hour in mind, he'll slap that tape on without asking or giving a second thought to who owns the truck. His job is to put the tape on after the freight is loaded and his concern would end there.

Your thoughts? Your experiences?

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The tape that was used by LG left a sticky film on the doors.
We used Goo Gone to clean it off. I worked well if you did it right away.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first thought is – locks and seals serve the same purpose without any potential damage to the truck’s paint and without any increased time requirements on the contractor to later remove and clean where the security tape had been placed.
I am in little position to walk away from a load, but would have significant objections and be most resistant to having this product placed on my truck.
If it is specific to one shipper or one shipper location, I might simply chose to pass on any loads from that location.

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
Anything added to a load that creates extra work for the owner operator or contractor needs to be included in the cost.

As far as the door alarm, I think that feature only works for TVAL loads but why it couldn't it be set up to function under all situations sounds like an networking questioning.

Speaking for myself (and not my partner) I would hesitate having tape placed on the doors that peels off paint when removed.

Perhaps a long-term alternative to this issue would be stainless steel sheeting added to the doors that would be specifically for the tape. Not sure how it would clean up but it's sole purpose would be for the tape. I don't mean cover the entire door. Just a spot near the latch that's not much wider than the tape. Maybe two horizontal strips about 10 inches on each side of the door?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Perhaps a long-term alternative to this issue would be stainless steel sheeting added to the doors that would be specifically for the tape. Not sure how it would clean up but it's sole purpose would be for the tape. I don't mean cover the entire door. Just a spot near the latch that's not much wider than the tape. Maybe two horizontal strips about 10 inches on each side of the door?

That's a thought I had too but for those of us with roll-up doors, there is no guarantee that the shipper would know to put the tape on the plate and frame. Installing a stainless steel plate is a bit too much of an accommodation for the rare shipper that wants to use security tape.

We carry door seals with us for shippers that don't have them. I would hope that would be solution enough.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a thought I had too but for those of us with roll-up doors, there is no guarantee that the shipper would know to put the tape on the plate and frame. Installing a stainless steel plate is a bit too much of an accommodation for the rare shipper that wants to use security tape.

We carry door seals with us for shippers that don't have them. I would hope that would be solution enough.

The braided wire seals we carry are much better than tape. Maybe truck owners who's truck is damaged by that tape should sue the shippers for repairs and down time. Maybe carriers should do the same since their ability to meet the needs of that, and other shippers, will be degraded by that tape.

aileron

Expert Expediter
If it was my straight truck or my trailer, they would have to not use the tape, or take the load off.

When I was in a tractor, I picked up a few LG loads and they put that tape on the FedEx's trailer. What a mess that tape left behind!

Last edited:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I dont worry about that I got Stainless Steel Doors and If any sticky junk gets on them I use goobegone and a greeneweene and some soap and water Goop works just as well.

Im just sayen no worries be happy