Security Guards

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Most of the time I find them to be Very Nice and Helpfull. But once in a while WOW. Yesterday GE what a pleasant person. Pulled to the stop sign, hmm nobody in there here let me pull up and see if there are any instructions on the building.

Out she came, as a kid you ever discover a dog in a yard you just wondered into. Here she came long stides arms swinging in full motion. PULL THAT TRUCK BACK wow backer down ladyI thought. So she swings right back into her office. OK I thought no instructions other than backer up so I did.

Got the ol log book out and finished my paperwork up thougth I aint gettin out until further instructions come. Well here she comes again same pissed off walk you can come in now she barks. I looked up from my paper work no one behind me said I will be in there when I finish my paperwork. Well this just really made her day.

Gotta watch a video with my new found friend cant remember ever being so uncomfortable on a first date. Than she demands does not ask for the company name so I say Its on the side of the truck which is 25 feet away. She barks out again this time two feet from me WHAT IS IT, my face now is probably red I barked back its on the side of the truck.... Now she demands what does C&M stand for, exactly what is says C&M it stands for exactly that C&M. No she says its gotta have a name. Now I am almost laughing at her I cannot believe what is going on.

I told her You are not going to talk to me anymore like this if you do not change your attitude I want your supervisor in here I have done nothing to wreck your day but your beginning to wreck mine. Nothing more unprofessional was said between us. I complained to the recieving manager and he apoligized said that she is sometimes like this.

To top this off this was a lady oh in her early 50s looked well educated just about the last person I would guess would be in such a foul mood.

So let me ask this to you all how would you have handled it differetnly. I hate getting crapped on. No questions no politeness just demands and rudeness. I know this sounds childish.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sounds like you handled it about as well as you could.
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One time I pretended to make a phone call and let the guard hear me saying that I was not going to be allowed in due to whatever reason.He backed down real fast.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think you handled it rather well. I don't go to the auto plants anymore. But when I did I expected to get a hard time before I got there. And just pretty much let it go in one ear and out the other. I spent 10 years in the military. So I think over the years I got acustomed to some individuals and there power trip. Just can not let them get to you and don't take it personally.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Good job .. I think you handled it well, I don't know if I would have done so well... :+

Dreamer

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I had one at a ford plant in Cleveland that was just plain mean but that was the only one I'd complain about in 2 years. Most are friendly and very helpful. Seems like you a did a good job of holding your temper to me.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Hey BP, what did that guy say on one of my posts? Want some cheese with your whine? Ha I kill me :) Just kidding. Sounds like you did fine. Dont hit them or anything like that. Anger managment course will be forced on you by the Court.

Which GE was that? I go to the one in NC a lot and do pretty well there. I do a lot of bulk mail now and wow we are Postal folks fun.

Hang in there buddy.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy
3 years without full use of my mind

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Which GE was that? I go to the one in NC a lot and do pretty well there. I do a lot of bulk mail now and wow we are Postal folks fun

Be careful on the post office runs.
They say there is some real truth to the saying "GOING POSTAL":7
Davekc

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
Just a note ... I was at the Ford Truck plant in Wayne, MI last week, and the guard I spoke with, told me that they (Ford) where switching to a private security company. Some of the current guards may be hired by the new company, but they wheren't sure. If you go in there in the coming months, be prepared. I'm sure that the new company will be wanting to impress someone at Ford, so they'll be going "above and beyond" when it comes to security.

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
sounds like you could of just answered her questions instead of being difficult yourself.when she asked for your company name you should of just told her.maybe if you were nicer it would of changed her attitude torwards you.ps next time you should just park your truck and walk to the guard house instead of pulling your truck up and being lazy.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have had a few run ins with security. Once in Ohio, the guard noticed my dog Hooligan. She told me, not so politely that I could not enter with the dog. I asked if she had a gun. When she asked why, I told her I would shoot him.

She had a fork lift meet me at the gate. Hooligan and I laughed all the way home

Dr Bob and Hooligan

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Bob,

Got a good laugh from that one! LOL!

...and ya know if that ever happened I'd be glad to give you one of Kipper's offspring! LOL!!!! LOL!!!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

A billion Chinese can't be wrong, eat rice.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Bullrush, yeah next time I drive for 11 hours I will remember that. Let me explaine it again, no one came out, windows tinted inside, gate closed, signs on an angle the truck was at could not read. My bad attitude.

Like I said she came out of the dog house with a strut, than just jumped on me, not "you need to watch a video so pull your truck back."

I take enough crap out here as it is, I even got out of the truck with a smile on my face until BAM she started in on me. Generally we know when we are being treated with disrecspect, the person who signed the freight as I mentioned said shes done it before. So the next time it happens I will keep in the back of mind your comment. It certinally cant be anyones bad attitude but mine since everyone is entitled to crap on truck drivers and we just need to suck up and take it.

Thanks for the wonderfull advice.

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
It is not a good time, when someone passes their bad day onto you. It seems that the lowly truck driver gets more than his share of guff. I really don't understand it. Most of the drivers that I have come in contact with would give you the shirt off his back. Probably some of the women would too.

Hang in there and just strike it up to another having a bad day.

They get to me too sometimes, so I have to practice what I preach.

:7

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
I used to run OTR for H&R Transport. Being a (mostly) truckoad refer outfit, we hauled a lot of meat back and forth across the border. I ran into a similar problem with a plant in Kansas. Guy at the gate gave me a hell of a time, over some crap that I honestly don't remember. The part that stuck out though was, his issue with the name H and R Transport. Same thing, he kept saying it had to stand for something. I was in an especially good mood that day, so I let it slide.

Another security guy helped me out with finding the load I was supposed to take. He explained that this guy was in a foul mood all night, and for some reason he always took his bad moods out on Canadian drivers. He was extremely apologetic for his partner.

I made an extra effort to be nice on leaving, and the guy actually mumbled a brief apology. I chuckled and said "'sok happens to us all".

Luckily I WAS in an especially good mood though LOL. I think you handled yourself fine, and about how I would have most days.

I ain't no saint.

Draco

Expert Expediter
On a side note I too had a fun experience at an automotive plant one time. I had a small box weighing oh maybe 5lbs so I carried it into the plant set it down on a cart in the recieving area. Handed the clerk my paperwork and waited. As there was several semis ahead of me, so I was going to patiently wait my turn. The clerk, w/o even looking at the paperwork, screams "Do not tell me that is YOUR freight!" I said yes, what's the problem? He said you can not carry that in here. I said I'm sorry I didn't know and thought it'd be a helpful since you were so busy. He then screams get it out of here now and out it back in your truck and then you come in here and wait.

I thought about it for a minute and said ok. I'll go out and put it back in my van (I was driving an extended Chevy then) and you go get it out. To which he smiled and looked pleased with himself. Then I said BUT I will not be held responsible for what happens to you. He looked at me rather confused so I said as you will have to convince my 110lb German Shepherd w/ a 95lb psi bite that you want it out of the truck and I will wait right here. LOL alot of the other truck drivers said yup she has one we saw him ourselves and boy is he BIG. ;) Needless to say I got my paperwork signed and then thrown at me. I said thanks and have a nice day.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Draco, was that the Lordstown plant? That place is very famous for that. My first time there I went in to make sure I was at the right dock. When he said I was, I told him it was 1 30# box I could easily carry in. I was told in very certain terms they would come out and get it. I love the line you sometimes get about taking someones job away from them. When you ask if someone would be fired if you carried in the box you will definatly get a dirty look. Ahh...unions.

Draco

Expert Expediter
Why yes highway star it was. I will never forget the look on his face when I told him he'd have to face my GSD it was priceless. :)