Save it or not.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The last load left me with a snot load of Dunnage bags. (air bags to cushion the freight) These are of good quality and reusable up to 12 times.
My Q is how often do you think there would be a use for these if Dispatch knew they where on the truck? Right now I'm thinking never.
Q for the folks finding their own freight,,do you see the request for dunnage bags on the load boards. (I know most shippers that know what they are doing have them at the ready and dont need to request them)

To do a load last year I had to buy pads and blankets and never them used again..And yes I have been told on more then 1 occasion that the only freight near you needs to be padded. Well last thing I hear before hanging up was,,,We didn't know you had pads..

Same with load bars..Until 2 weeks ago I could build a second floor in the box for decking non stackable freight..I actually had a use for all of these running sand molds and the loads would come to me because not many others carried that many.. Now they sit in a pile in my woods because I got tired of moving them around the truck. And now instead of possibly having 20 spaces on the truck I'm back down to 10.. No need for them because I believe some dispatch dont look beyond 10 spaces. (22ft)

Just how long do ya hang on to something before it becomes of no use to ya?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I don't like a crap load of junk in the truck so when I need pads/ blankets I just add a 50.00 extra and go to uhaul 10.00 a dozen 3 day rental return anywhere to uhaul

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Got rid of 6 or 7 of them last night to the guy loading next to me. Not sure he knows they need a air source but he thought they where the greatest thing since sliced bread.. Gotta feeling I should have left them on the docks when I unloaded or at least asked for dumping fees.

Blankets and pads havn"t been in the way at all yet and staying clean (so far) which really shocks me..LOL

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We use our load bars and blankets all the time. I use load bars on just about every load. I normally "over secure" all freight that goes on my truck.

I don't have a single "toy" on my truck that I don't use several times a year. I would say the least used piece of equipment I have is my hand truck.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I want and what I really want is certifed chain and binders for machines. Many times I wished I had some with me. Some things I dont trust to just straps and load bars..
Just a matter of doing it.;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I want and what I really want is certifed chain and binders for machines. Many times I wished I had some with me. Some things I dont trust to just straps and load bars..
Just a matter of doing it.;)

I don't carry many machines, most of them are too dirty and stinky to go on my "SPECIAL" truck! I am a freight snob! :p

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
FedX Doesnt seem to be so picky lately..Seen a fair amount of them in the plants..Including reefers both straights and tractor trailers.
Actually see a fairly new 53 ft reefer in the kokomo plant often..
Come over to the dark side Layout and help us out..LOL
Besides im sure your ripe for some UAW ppl to deal with.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FedX Doesnt seem to be so picky lately..Seen a fair amount of them in the plants..Including reefers both straights and tractor trailers.
Actually see a fairly new 53 ft reefer in the kokomo plant often..
Come over to the dark side Layout and help us out..LOL
Besides im sure your ripe for some UAW ppl to deal with.

Those loads don't pay enough to be worth my effort. FedEx does not run my business, my standards are not being lowered. It's that cheap freight that is helping to kill my business.

I don't like those plants. They waste far too much of my time, the people on the docks are often rude and quite foulmouthed. I have only had ONE art load where a person was cussing. That "person", and I use that term lightly, was a courier that was dropping the "F" bomb in front of my wife while I was off dealing with customs. There was a problem with the papers crossing the border. I did not hear it or I would have thrown "it" off my truck.

Sorry no "Dark Side" for me! LOL!! I LIKE being a "freight snob"!! ;)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Now that I slept on it I think its a Panter TT that I see coming and going out of the Kokomo plant. I may have mispoke on the Fedx. But none the less I am seeing more of you purple ppl on the docks.

Theres money to be made running up and down 75 chasing this freight, Not saying ya dont make more but all the teams I know,,esp running the auto freight are all inline with what I make by the time ya figure the double man hours,,Bigger expenses,,more fuel,,Time away from home,,spliting the settlements (if thats the case)etc etc..Its a wash..If I remeber right,,even comparing miles to your truck vs mine we where allmost inline with each other considering I am a Solo and you have what, nearly a years head start on me..Remeber thats all based on me remebering right :cool:

None of us intended to distrube the rates out here..Certainly not what I intended to do,,It what I am dealt with and reading the other thread recently about whats changed,,It doesnt sound like the rates have changed all that much?? I would say it just hasnt kept up with the cost of living. Wheter I am right or wrong on the cheap freight I dont think I do run it. If im not making a fair days pay (And I am getting it) I am not doing it for the most part or at least think I have a pray in H*** in getting turned on the same log book page. Dont get me wrong I said before I am the first one to take one for the team but it cant be every other day or into dead places that I know I am driving home M.T. Because the only place I relocate to when the freight stops going on the truck is home. Regardless of where I am at.

Oh and by the way..I know a few Landstar (flatbeds) that call even the purple ppl cheap..LOL

(Now you know we are going to get spanked come monday morning for going off topic)

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Those loads don't pay enough to be worth my effort. FedEx does not run my business, my standards are not being lowered. It's that cheap freight that is helping to kill my business.

I don't like those plants. They waste far too much of my time, the people on the docks are often rude and quite foulmouthed. I have only had ONE art load where a person was cussing. That "person", and I use that term lightly, was a courier that was dropping the "F" bomb in front of my wife while I was off dealing with customs. There was a problem with the papers crossing the border. I did not hear it or I would have thrown "it" off my truck.

Sorry no "Dark Side" for me! LOL!! I LIKE being a "freight snob"!! ;)

You've got standards and live by them. I like that!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I did not say YOU were messing up the rates. It would be similar trucks to mine, reefer trucks, running for "common freight" rates. That is a badness. LOL! Very little "common freight" is allowed on my truck and I don't run for "common freight". I said I was a snob! :p

Deville

Not a Member
I keep pads/blankets, load bars, straps, hand truck & a pallet jack on my truck. At some point I have found a use for everything. One thing I won't do is brace loads by nailing wood beams in to my floor.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I keep pads/blankets, load bars, straps, hand truck & a pallet jack on my truck. At some point I have found a use for everything. One thing I won't do is brace loads by nailing wood beams in to my floor.

I don't allow block and brace loads either.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I did not say YOU were messing up the rates. It would be similar trucks to mine, reefer trucks, running for "common freight" rates. That is a badness. LOL! Very little "common freight" is allowed on my truck and I don't run for "common freight". I said I was a snob! :p

Layout, my reference to you and your standards isn't the fact you're a "freight snob"! Don't really care what freight you haul on your truck. It's the fact of standards of politeness regarding others in and around your truck and Mrs. Layout.