Satellite TV

JustUsTrucking

Expert Expediter
Hey All: We often wish we had tolerable TV reception when on a 34 hour restart and we are considering Dish Network or Direct TV. How does one "install" such an animal on the truck?? I see trucks in the truck stops that have a dish of some type, seems to be attached to a pcv pipe. Anyone out there have a satellite system than can briefly explain where to begin to get information?

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
The company we recommend is TracStar out of Orlando Fl. there number is 407-650 9054. They have the best in motion system out there. There service is also the best. Give them a call and they can tell you a dealer in your area.

JustUsTrucking

Expert Expediter
Thanks...but were not looking for an "in motion" system. Just want to be able to watch some t.v. while we are sitting. Dish Network or Direct T.V. or something similar to these.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Check out Camping world for a variety of options.

We have the crank up Weingard model.I can crank it up and fix on the satelite in about 2 minutes.

Camping World also installs.They have a lot of locations.
http://www.campingworld.com/

TruckinBabe

Expert Expediter
They are both about the same even in monthy cost. Find one that will give you all the crap free tho. Hey if you are ever near OKC there is a guy at the TA there (the one across the street from the Pilot) runs a little cb shop he will install in your truck free. But either one is pretty easy to use and like I said the cost is about the same. Good luck!
:)

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
as a driver, both with straight trucks, and with tour busses... I recommend the in-motion satalites. I drive tour busses, both passenger and professional crew/bunk busses. The private "bunk" or "entertainer" coaches have in-motion satalites... no problems with them, or very very VERY rarely do we have problems with them.
They don't pick up "good" in back alley's, where your in a narrow alley between brick buildings. Tour bus drivers find this stuff out. They're made to pick-up in more open areas, like truck stops and open areas. They're great on the road and in rest areas and truck stops. If your passing thru an area with many overpasses like Milwaukee then they'll skip or freeze frame on you when your rolling.

The other ones mounted on PVC pipes mean you have to get out there in all kinds of weather to mount them and position them. The in-motion units consist of a satalite thats mounted underneath a hard dome cover and it revolves/moves constantly to make sure the viewer is getting the best signal.

Surely you wouldn't mind watchin' the nightly news, movies, and/or weather channel, even ESPN while your rolling???

Sometimes when I'm deadheading with a private coach I turn on the
in-motion unit and crank up the volume just so that I can listen to the news or sports and on rare occasion even a movie.

In-motion satalites are like a generator, in the sense that while the initial cost/set-up/installation looks difficult/scarey, one has to look at the long term benefits and cost savings. Check into it/them, and you'll see they're really worth their weight.

However, if PVC, duct tape, and drilling is appealing to you, get the Dish TV or Direct TV.

Stop, get out, position, hope it works right, and relax, when your ready to roll, get out, tear down, put away, and roll.

OR... Stop, get the remote, and relax, when your ready to roll... it is too. In the middle of a good movie? Just keep it on and listen.
You like to listen to Sports Center?
Weather Channel for an hour?
The nightly news on ABC/CBS/NBC?
The late night comedians?
... Any speed, any weather, anywhere.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We use to use the in motion winegard system but had problems with several of them. We eventually went to the crankup style. They seem like they work good for about a year and then problems start to surface.
Good or bad, that was our experienced. These were installed by camper world and ICT. Problem was with the units rather than the installation.
Davekc
owner
20 years

cliffn

Expert Expediter
I would love to have the "in-motion" set-up but the cost is pretty high so here is what I did.

We had direct TV installed at our house with three receivers. I told the installer that I was going to take one of the receivers on the truck and got an extra dish. I did not want to "duct tape" a PVC pipe on my antenna like I see so many guys do so I fixed a mount on the rear corner of my box. At each location, you input the zip code (which we get out of a truckstop directory) and it tells you the settings for the antenna. Now that I have had a little practice, I can set it up in about five or ten minutes. The mount was devised in such a way that the dish ends up pretty high and other trucks around will not interfere with the signal. We use it any time we are stopped for several hours. When not in use, the dish is stored in the box.

I know many people will advise you to get the "in-motion" unit but for us this was the way to go for now.

Hope this helps.