satellite radio

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
got xm in the truck. i like many stations but the killer of the system is that i am always hunting for an available freq to use when near large cities, even some smal cities, to use the xm system.

is there an automatic system to have IT look for the available freqs? do i need to get an xm equiped radio?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i run mostly 88.5,but have been in all the different freq one time or another.there is a tape that installs into your tape deck and plugs into the xm,then you wont need the freq of fm radio,but you will need a radio with a casette

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
got xm in the truck. i like many stations but the killer of the system is that i am always hunting for an available freq to use when near large cities, even some small cities, to use the xm system.

is there an automatic system to have IT look for the available freqs? do i need to get an xm equiped radio?
If you have XM Satellite radio with subscription activated and proper antenna installed there is no need to search for signal any where. that's the beauty of XM or Sirius.

I suspect you are on the FM band of a Multi band radio seeking stations. That's a real pain. If you are new to the radio and want to activate it,you need to contact XM. You need to give them the radio ID that is found on Channel one.XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You are stuck with the searching for open frequencies unless you get the cassette adapter nc mentioned or the in dash xm you mentioned. I've got both services so I have to hunt on both the low and high end of FM depending on which radio I want to listen to. Good luck.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I have Sirius and had same problem. I went to Best Buy and bought a device made by Sirius that goes inline in the radio antenna and then plugs into the side of the unit I have a "sportser" I think. no external power supply required

This was $21.99 and works very well. So well infact that if the Sirius unit is on I cannot recieve any other FM signals.This device was on the Sirius web site check it out so you have an idea of what I am talking about

I believe they had a similiar unit for XM also.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I found one on the XM web site it is called "FM Direct"
click on the accessories tab and scroll down to see it. cost is $19.99
Hope this works. It looks exactly like the Sirius device I have

Regards
Greg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wonder if you can use both of them inline. That would solve both problems.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Maybe you could see if the Plug that goes into the display unit is the same and give it a try. I went elementary school in Pearland but that was a LONG time ago.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i do not have a cassette in the radio. it is am/fm/cd.

I have Sirius and had same problem. I went to Best Buy and bought a device made by Sirius that goes inline in the radio antenna and then plugs into the side of the unit I have a "sportser" I think. no external power supply required

This was $21.99 and works very well. So well infact that if the Sirius unit is on I cannot recieve any other FM signals.This device was on the Sirius web site check it out so you have an idea of what I am talking about

I believe they had a similiar unit for XM also.

reefer hauler that is exactly what i want. will beat it on down to bb or petro tomorrow. also have to get some star screw blades to take the header plates off.

Last edited:

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I have sirius as well in my van and I took my sat radio into circuit city and I had to buy some kind of auxillary cord for power they installed it and hid all the wires. I don't have to search for alternate stations anymore since I was having the same problems you were. Radio is running of an auxillary source as well, so if you have a factory radio that probably wouldn't work. You'd have to get an aftermarket cd player.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
If it has an auxillary preset you should be ok. I'd take it into circuit city or best buy. My only beef with sirius is that their equipment isn't the greatest. I have XACT where I can rewind the music and my remote control hasn't been that great and my daggone unit keeps powering down every time I touch it. I'm going to have to buy a new reciever.