Satelite TV

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone have satelite TV in their van or truck and if so, how does that work? I understand you can get it for RV's and I went to Direct TV's website, but as usual, it was complicated. I jus wondered if anyone was using it and how much it cost. Any details would be very much appreciated.
Jumbuck:confused:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If you buy a VuQube you can take your receiver from home. It is for ST or TT, if for a van I would just mount a pole to attach the dish.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use my droid Razr hooked to my flatscreen...hulu +, you tube, redbox....and air antenna.. keeps me busy...just examples of other options..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I use my droid Razr hooked to my flatscreen...hulu +, you tube, redbox....and air antenna.. keeps me busy...just examples of other options..

How well do Hulu and YouTube work when you do that. I want to get a new phone and I'm not sure if I should focus on one with an HDMI port or not.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
With dish network..you can watch your satelite tv from your smartphone, laptop, or Tablet...i dont know how it works yet,because you need a sling adapter and one of the new hopper dvr. Im pretty sure it come free with new two year agreement. This is best out there at the moment, unless you want another satelite ($350), this is the future... http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-everywhere/

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How well do Hulu and YouTube work when you do that. I want to get a new phone and I'm not sure if I should focus on one with an HDMI port or not.

Paul I've hooked up a mid range Motorola smart phone with micro hdmi output to a 32" tv and it streams Netflix and hulu perfectly with a good wifi signal.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle has a vuqube I imagine he will speak up.

The thing about using your phone you always need to be aware of bandwidth use.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you buy a VuQube you can take your receiver from home. It is for ST or TT, if for a van I would just mount a pole to attach the dish.

The Dish Network's successor to the VuQube, the Tailgator.

IMG_0678a.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

The Tailgator is made by King Controls, who also makes the VuQube. They only make the V-10/V-1000 VuCube, and the V-2500 (Tailgater). The V-10 (mountable) and V-1000 (portable with a handle and cute as a button little rubber feet) will work with DirectTV and Dish Network. The Tailgator will only work with Dish Network.

The VuQube V-10/V-1000 is a dish that requires you to locate the satellites yourself and then program their locations into the VuQube remote. You look on a map of the satellite's path, locate where you are on the map, and then raise or lower the dish to the proper degrees. Then you move it left and right until you find the satellite. Then program that position into the remote as Position 1. Then you do the same thing for a second satellite and program that as Position 2. Some channels are on one satellite and some are on the other. Once the 2 positions are programmed, when you change channels the dish will change positions automatically. Once you get the hang of it, you can perform this setup in 3-5 minutes on the average. It's not too bad. On Dish Network, the V-10 will only see satellites 110 and 119. It will not pick up 129, the HD satellite. It will, but it's tricky, and it'll still only be able to switch back and forth between 2 satellites. On DirectTV you can not pick up any HD channels with a VuQube.

The Tailgater is the same as the old, discontinued V-20/V2000 model (with a few improvements) in that you tell the dish where you are (what state) and then it'll find the satellites automatically on its own. Takes a couple of minutes for it to do that. The big improvement is that the Tailgator can see all three satellites, 110, 119 and 129.

The Tailgator only works with Dish Network, and only with a VIP 211k solo HD receiver (that particular receiver has the software to control the Tailgator, which gets it's power from the receiver box, incidentally, so other than the coax cable there are no other power cords to run). The Tailgator at $350 is also considerably cheaper than a VuQube at $599. The VIP 211k will cost you $150 (if you don't already have one like I did). SO if you get the Tailgator and the 211k together, it's $500. Here's Dish Networks page on it: Tailgater - Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Take TV Outdoors With DISH!

If you have satellite at the house, then all you need is to get a second receiver, which is like $5 or $10 extra a month, depending on the receiver, and get a VuQube or some other dish. It's basically just that easy. I have Dish Network at the house, so I got the VIP 211k receiver as an extra receiver, and it costs me $7 a month (would be $5 for a SD receiver, and $10 for an HD DVR receiver, but the 211k is a solo, non-DVR HD receiver - you cannot watch one show wile recording another with a mobile satellite dish, since they can only "see" one satellite at a time).

I also added to that local networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) with broadcasts from both NY and San Francisco. You local locals are not available on satellite at all, at least not at the moment, so you have a choice of getting them from NY, San Francisco, or both. I got both. It's nice being able to miss a show at 8PM and then catch it on the west coast feed three hours later at 11PM. The locals are not from Dish Network, but from My Distant Networks at ALLAMERICANDIRECT.COM, but they come down via the satellite just like all the regular satellite channels do. To get the My Distant Networks, you need to fill out an application and send them a copy of your RV registration, or a letter from your carrier (which, of course, you can write yourself, if you want - if anyone wants a copy of the letter I wrote, let me know) stating that you're a commercial trucker on the road, you're good to go. It's only available to RVs and truckers, not to people at home.

You will not get your normal local channels from home when out on the road, unless you are within about 200 miles of home. If you want the local locals where you are, then you'll need a second HD antenna and you can plug that right into the back of the 211k. You download the satellite program guide, and then have the receiver search the HD channels for OTA HD broadcasts, and any locals will be listed in the satellite's program guide like normal. I prefer the east coast and west coast feeds rather than locals from an HD antenna.

The My Distant Networks locals cost $12.99 for all 4 networks from one feed, or for all 4 networks from both coastal feeds is $14.99 a month.

Whew.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Turtle has a vuqube I imagine he will speak up.

The thing about using your phone you always need to be aware of bandwidth use.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Im grandfathered into verizion unlimited.. but that is a good point

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Hdmi to me is a must have...works great...even better when your in. 4G area..only down fall is if your in a real crappy area...but with Verizion that is not often..something to really consider when looking @ new phone..hulu + is only 7-8 per month..and if you cant find anything to watch... your too picky

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Paul I've hooked up a mid range Motorola smart phone with micro hdmi output to a 32" tv and it streams Netflix and hulu perfectly with a good wifi signal.

I was worried about picture quality but it sounds like it isn't an issue.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hdmi to me is a must have...works great...even better when your in. 4G area..only down fall is if your in a real crappy area...but with Verizion that is not often..something to really consider when looking @ new phone..hulu + is only 7-8 per month..and if you cant find anything to watch... your too picky

I already have Hulu+ and Netflix but I usually just watch them on my phone. I still have the unlimited plan and the only way to keep it is to buy another phone for full retail or I might be able to add another line to my family plan and switch the phone out but I'm not sure they will let me since they went to those junk share everything plans.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I was worried about picture quality but it sounds like it isn't an issue.

You do lose some picture quality...but not that big of an issue..

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Turtle, for some reason, your post is dissappearing on my phone....could you re-type that?

Just Kidding :D

BTW, someone did tell me that there was a new, smaller dish coming out...maybe the size of these new qualcom recievers....anybody heard of such a thing?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
BTW, someone did tell me that there was a new, smaller dish coming out...maybe the size of these new qualcom recievers....anybody heard of such a thing?
I haven't heard about it, but there might be.

I can't see how it can get much smaller and still pick up a reliable signal, though. The dish is like a large salad bowl already. At home, with a much larger dish, the signal strength for all 3 satellites is in the 90+ range (out of 100). With the VuQube/Tailgater it's usually in the 40-50 range on satellites 110 and 119, and closer to 30 and often lower for the 129 satellite (the 129 has a much lower elevation than the other two, plus it's also on a different "scale" than the other two, so it's not exactly on a scale of 100 for the 129). On cloudy or rainy days, or if there is a tree in the way, you'll sometimes lose the 129 signal on some channels, depending on which transponder frequency they are on. But I rarely have signal loss in the snow or rain, except once in a while on those 129 HD channels. I actually have fewer signal loss instances with the Tailgater than we do at the house with the big SuperDish. Go figure.

The original Dish 1000 dish had lots of problems maintaining a signal on the 129 satellite, so much so that they came out with the Dish 1000.2 dish which has a 10% larger reflective surface at 23 inches in diameter. Still there were problems, it should have been 20-30% larger.

A Dish 300 dish is only 18 inches across, but it cannot receive HD programming. The newer Dish 1000.2 and SuperDish and DishHD are still the 23 inches, but are parabolic rather than circular, which enables better signal collection.

The width of the Tailgater/VuQube housing is just 16 inches. The dish itself is 15 inches. So there ya go. :D

dish-tailgater_compact_satellite.jpg

03_dish_tailgater_full.jpg

dish-tailgater-300x300_zpsafcfdccc.jpg

the_hungaria

Active Expediter
something of note. I just got the tailgater for my TT about a month ago, and have no dish subscription at home. If you don't have it at home and sign up for it for mobile use only, there are no promotional packages. I pay $121 a month for it and includes every channel available including movie channels and all. No locals as there is no local address set up for the account.

Also of note the HD picture is only 1080i, not 1080p which makes a difference. slight but noticeable difference. I watch it on a 40" Samsung 3D tv.

I'm going to look into stuff further.

As a side note, if you have a portable external laptop hard drive of any size, and hook it up to the usb port on the 211k, it turns it into a dvr. say you want to record a show while you sleep or something. They used to ask for an upgrade fee, but they did away with that. I'm looking into a good hdd now.

Now I'm just wondering if and when I get out of the TT and into a cv/sprinter if I could bring my 40" 3D tv with me lol... decisions decisions...