Sales Tax On Trucks?

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I went to the IRP office in Lansing,Michigan today to get my Plate and put title in my name. They made me pay full sales tax on the purchace of my truck. I was under the inpression that a Commercial Truck has no sales tax. Am I wrong? Did they make a mistake? If so How do I get my money back? Lost In paper work....Butch :( :( :(

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
sales tax depends on the state, in va they tax you to death
they also have personal property tax you pay every year untill
it get's down to almost nothing and if the vchle is a classic and it starts all over again\\

before they changed all the rules as to where you could lic the vch
had ok as they didn't charge sale tax when they change rules moved to il to lic thru egl so would have to pay sales tax

when i sold the truck person i sold it to said title need's to be in
your name so we need a va title
told them that wasn't going to happen as va would want sales tax plus
sales tax for sale to him and all the back personal property
and that would have been over 10,000 dollar and wasn't going to happen

if mi has where com don't have to pay go to your motor vchl dept to file
the right paper work toget your money back
than when i lic sprinter van in va taxes were 950 dollars and
personal property was about 450 for the first year and goes down
be alittle less
so check with your state tax man or woman

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
>I went to the IRP office in Lansing,Michigan today to get my
>Plate and put title in my name. They made me pay full sales
>tax on the purchace of my truck. I was under the inpression
>that a Commercial Truck has no sales tax. Am I wrong? Did
>they make a mistake? If so How do I get my money back? Lost
>In paper work....Butch :( :( :(

Butch,

If you feel you are not getting the straight scoop from the Secretary of State's Office , you might want to give a call to the Michigan Trucking Association; they may know the most current regulations about this subject. MTA (517)321-1951
Whew...that 6% sales tax must have been a chunk of change if you weren't expecting it!

Secretary of State Office contact info:
Contact: Department of State Information Center 517-322-1460
If you have a question, comment or suggestion for Secretary Terri Lynn Land, you may e-mail the Secretary of State at: [email protected]

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Bummer! Such surprises are no fun.

We'll be licensing our new truck in the very near future. Now renting space in a relative's home as our official tax-legal residence, and having relatives in several states, we had the luxury of looking around a bit before establishing a new residence after we sold our house. (We no longer felt the need to own a house given all the time we spend on the road). We continue as Minnesota residents partly because MN truck sales tax is reasonable.

In MN, you report the percentage of your total miles that you drive in the state. That figure is then used to determine determine what is owed. In our case, because most of our driving is done outside of MN, we caught a break. Sales tax will be almost painless compared to some states.

Newbies take note. Experienced drivers here often speak about the hidden costs of truck ownership. Sales tax can rise as a nasty surprise. Research! Research! Research!

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
u pay the full state tax on your first truck but dont pay any tax on following trucks as long as u can prove that your first truck was a working truck the year before hope this helps just went through the same thing in mich. with my first truck, thats the way the ladie at the irp office explained it to us and the dealer we bought the truck from. so your future trucks will have no sales tax.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Thanks to all of you that replyed and gave me some avenues to check out. Yes Larry it was a chunk of change that wasn't expected. I have learned a lesson, and my next truck will be purchased from a Dealer. I will let them handle all the paper work and taxs. Last truck I bought was a Lease, and that plus hearsay from Drivers is where I got the idea that there was No Sales Tax. The dealer even got my plates for me. No trip to Lansing. LOL. Oh well. Thats Life and I won't lose any sleep over it. Be Safe Be Profitable..Butch

PS> You See We are Never to Old to Learn a Lesson :D :D :D

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
mhoy40, Thank you. Now that does make sense. Not to take anything away from you other helpers. Thats what EO is all about. Well Maybe the next truck can come from a private owner...LMAO...Drive Safely...Butch :D :D :D

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>sales tax depends on the state, in va they tax you to death
>they also have personal property tax you pay every year
>untill

geo,

Moved to VA to avoid sales tax issues in NY. We didn't have to pay sales tax on our truck....but we do have to pay Virginia Beach Property tax. So, is this a recent rule change in VA? Will we have to pay sales tax on a new truck now?

mcbride-
O/O-Super D unit-Team-6yrs
--What goes around comes around--
LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those held by the posting author and do not represent the views or opinions of Expediters Online.com, On Time Media, LLC, it's agents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertisers or sponsors.

lap2

Expert Expediter
Just found this on Oklahoma state tax site.
Sales Tax
The state sales tax is 4.5 percent of the gross receipts or proceeds from sale or rental of tangible personal property and from the furnishing of specified services including public utilities, transportation, meals, lodging, admissions and auto parking.

Cities (Municipalities) may levy a sales tax on the same items that are subject to the state sales tax. This must be done by a vote of the registered residents in the locale. To date, a majority of local rates are at two and three percent.

Any county with a population of less than 300,000 may levy a county sales tax not to exceed two percent upon the gross proceeds or gross receipts derived from all sales or services in the county. Any county with a population of more than 300,000 may levy a one percent sales tax for the development of facilities for lease or conveyance to the U.S. Government and any infrastructure changes or improvements directly related to such facilities or economic development projects located within the county for a period not to exceed 36 months.

General consumer items not subject to sales tax are prescription drugs, residential gas and electric utility bills (except for county and city sales tax), motor vehicles and motor fuel. Exemptions granted commercial agricultural operations include farm machinery and replacement parts, feed, seed, plants, fertilizer, pesticides, livestock medication, and a wide variety of purchases to be incorporated into agricultural buildings, machines or systems.

"easier to get forgiveness than permission"

KeepRollin

Expert Expediter
Butch,
I bought my 1st straight truck last year, I first went to the secretary of state and it only cost me $15.00 dollars to register my truck. The lady there said the truck was considered "Rolling Stock" and that I didn't have to pay sales tax. I then went to Lansing IRP to get my plate and that cost around $500.00. A friend of mine went to the same secretary of state office and paid the full sales tax ($1800.00). Go figure.
Hope this helps but it sounds like you already paid.

spitfire

Expert Expediter
Yes, the key word is (rolling stock ) you can go to any Michigan S.O.S office and transfer the title. You must state that the truck is rolling stock. $15.00 and you are out the door. You still need to go to lansing to get your R.I.P. plate. A dealer can't get your plate for you. Because you have to regsiter for the states you are going to run in for IFTA and plate cost. Now this is for a D unit. I think a C unit is the same, you just don't have to deal with IFTA and this is assuming you are not just running in MIchigan. This is how it has worked for me. Hope this helps

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Well All may not be lost just yet. I spoke to the Michigan Treasury Dept, Today and I was told I could get a Refund of my Sales Tax, if I could show that I was driving out of state for any Full tax year. I'm now waiting for TS to send me a letter with that information. I will keep you all posted as to my progress. Thanks for all the help...Butch :D :D :D

gandrew

Expert Expediter
RE: Sales Tax in Oklahoma

Just drove through OK 2/15/05. Truck dealers are running billboards that include the line: "remember, no sales tax in Oklahoma". Wish I had had the time to stop in and talk but we were under load. Truck Paper has current ads in their regional editions for that area. I have been told by FYDA rep that sales tax is not paid in the state of purchase, but rather in the state of registration. Is there a state that does not collect such a tax at registration? Nevada or something?

gojack

Expert Expediter
TOO COOL!!!
EO Rocks!!!
Thank You!!!Thank You!!!Thank You!!!

I assumed I would have to pay tax if I bought a truck.
I read this thread, ran a google for "ohio sales tax trucks"
and got this from the State Of Ohio:

FAQ's;

3. When must we obtain an exemption certificate or obtain or issue Form T-610 OR Form T-615?

Exemption certificates must be obtained on dealer title transfers and Forms T-610/T-615 must be obtained or issued on casual (non-dealer) title transfers only when the purchaser is claiming one of the below listed exceptions/exemptions supported by an ATPS exemption code. In reality, Forms T-610/T-615 became the exemption certificates on casual title transfers. NOTE: If taxes are being paid on a title transfer, exemption certificates or Form T-610/T-615 are not necessary.

CF Commercial Fishing - Watercraft - Commercial Fishing License Required

CH Church

CM Conversion - Military (Purchased out-of-state for use out-of-state)

CS Consolidation

DF Direct Use - Farming

DM Direct Use - Mining

DO Direct Use - Oil & Gas

DR Research and Development

DS Dissolution to Stockholder with No Consideration

FD Foreign Diplomat - Exemption Card Required

IP Individual to Partnership with No Consideration

MO Manufacturing Operation - i.e. Cement Mixer

MR Corporate Merger with No Consideration

NP Non-Profit, Charitable

NR Non-Resident Affidavit

PD Partnership, Dissolution with No Consideration

PT Non-Licensed Production Transportation

PU Direct Use in a Public Utility Service

RI Resale - Implement/Equipment Dealer

RM Re-manufacturing - Chassis or Part

RS Redeemed - Return Sale

RV Resale - Watercraft (VL Required)

RW Resale - Wholesale Only

TH Highway Transportation for Hire (PUCO or ICC Permit # Required)

TS Transportation Services (VL Required)

UM Undisturbed Mortgage

VF Volunteer Fire Department - Contract Basis

WH Warehousing - Not Licensed for Highway Use

17. Who is entitled to claim exemption from sales tax based on the "Highway Transportation for Hire" (TH) exemption?

Those individuals who are being paid to transport personal property belonging to others over the highways are deemed to be engaged in highway transportation for hire. These individuals must be regulated by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) or under Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) rules and must provide the permit number issued by PUCO (PUCO XXXXXX) or under ICC (ICC XXXXXX or MC XXXXXX) rules as part of their claim for exemption.

Generally, the owner of the motor vehicle is the one who holds the PUCO or ICC/MC permit. However, the owner of the motor vehicle could be under contract with the PUCO/ICC/MC permit holder.

When the owner of a motor vehicle being used in highway transportation for hire is not the permit holder, the owner must provide a copy of the contract, which authorizes the owner to operate the vehicle under the PUCO/ICC/MC permit number.
Any motor vehicle (tractor/trailer rig, pick-up truck, automobile, van, sport utility vehicle, and/or motorcycle) could qualify for the TH exemption if it is primarily used in highway transportation for hire. If the motor vehicle is use primarily as a parts vehicle or a vehicle used to transport drivers, it does not qualify for the exemption.

Effective July 1, 2003, tow truck operators are required to be registered with the PUCO. Therefore, if they are transporting goods that belong to others, they may use the Highway Transportation for Hire (TH) exemption code. They need to provide their PUCO number or their ICC/MC permit on the exemption certificate.

The "highway transportation for hire" exemption does not apply to those who are in the business of transporting people. For example, it does not cover bus companies, taxicab companies, or limousine services.

This exemption does not apply to all-purpose vehicles, off-highway motorcycles, watercraft and outboard motors since they cannot be used to transport items over the highway.

The USDOT number cannot be used to qualify for the “TH” exemption as these individuals are hauling their own inventory/personal property so they are not engaged in highway transportation for hire.