?'s reguarding Occupational insurance/own authority

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Currently I have occupational insurance thru a Ceva approved company/group plan. Is occupational insurance required by law or just by the company I am leased onto?
I am currently running under a friends authority as a sub contractor which allows me to work at Towne Air Freight.
If I got my own authority would I need to get this insurance?
Also, to everyone who has there own authority, how much did it cost you and are there any added cost in running your own authority/business? I have heard from some it can cost as much as 3 grand, but that sounds expensive to me.

Thanks for your answers, just trying to explore different avenues as I may be leaving Ceva in the not to far future.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The insurance laws vary by state, but it is a state thing and not necessarily a carrier thing. Most carriers will require it, mainly to eliminate any possibility of you trying to sue them for worker's compensation benefits (which you generally are not eligible for, anyway). For some states, Occupational Health is required for owners, and Workers Compensation for subcontractors and/or employees. Some states do not differentiate between the two and will make you get worker's compensation insurance. It's not that expensive. Do keep in mind that it is an accidental, while on the job, policy, and doesn't cover non-injuries like sickness, nor does it cover injuries that happen when you are not under dispatch. For that you need a regular insurance policy, or like the one Obama is going to make everyone purchase.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The insurance laws vary by state, but it is a state thing and not necessarily a carrier thing. Most carriers will require it, mainly to eliminate any possibility of you trying to sue them for worker's compensation benefits (which you generally are not eligible for, anyway). For some states, Occupational Health is required for owners, and Workers Compensation for subcontractors and/or employees. Some states do not differentiate between the two and will make you get worker's compensation insurance. It's not that expensive. Do keep in mind that it is an accidental, while on the job, policy, and doesn't cover non-injuries like sickness, nor does it cover injuries that happen when you are not under dispatch. For that you need a regular insurance policy, or like the one Obama is going to make everyone purchase.
Yeah, I know it is for accidents not sickness, and I pay $40 a week for it, not sure if that is cheap or not

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I pay $17.47 a week for mine, deducted from my settlement.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I pay $90 month,which is way cheaper than the $400 month I paid at Custom Critical,and my OAI also pays if I get hurt off the job,FDCC ins doesn't