?s about western U.S.

zocco

Seasoned Expediter
Hey thanks for reading my post. I have a question, and from my research on past threads I think I probably know my answer unfortunately. I'm more hoping that something changed. What are the realities of being a solo fleet driver in a straight truck (or van - maybe) and living out west (Santa Fe/Albuquerque)? Hometime not a huge issue though I would like to get home sometimes without having to deadhead huge miles 2 do it. I have a hazmat endorsement if it makes any difference. Going accross the country not a big deal, though obviously if I could stay west I wouldn't complain. So can a solo straight truck fleet driver make any money living out west?
SEPERATE QUESTION: from my readings of past threads the auto industry is a big customer - how has all the auto company problems effected business? thanks.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Zocco,
Welcome.
one option is just to fly home.
the way to do it, is to get a hotel room near an Airport ,and normally they will let you leave your St.truck there for a few days if you pay for that one night.
the CLC card can come handy .
i have never done it , but i have a good friend that do it about every 2 months .he is a traveling sells man for the Diamond Co. , and if you think Expedite is tough this days ,you try to sell rocks in this economy ...
figure out the expected costs of that option ,and see how long you can stay out to cover the extra expenses ,there for how often you can get home.
add to it about twice a year getting loaded home , and there you have it.
read very carefully ,as to where to go if you are a solo St. trucker.
and what to look for in an owner.
good luck.

Moose.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
1st being out west running solo is suicide,2nd auto industry is killing many trucking companies.If not being home isnt an issue,running solo you would want to stay either in the chcago areas or east of Il.

zocco

Seasoned Expediter
Hey thank you all for your advice. I kinda figured from my digging around that it is pretty much impossible staying west. Driving accross country not a problem though or is hometime. Good idea about flying home every couple months (probably cheaper than DH though depends how close you are). I live in Chicago area now but was looking to move southwest, if I were to expedite then i'm probably better off staying here. I figured the auto industry is killing the trucking business.

Through my research I think I'd prefer expedite over traditional OTR ( I drive straight truck local/tri state area now) but my fear is it seems like you are at more of the mercy of the owner, hoping he PM's his truck regularly over a traditional OTR company. The OTR company has deeper pockets so can also afford this more easily than even an owner who has good intentions but may not be able to afford it - especialy in this economy.

Question: is your pay as a fleet driver coming from the company account or the owners account? I would be worried about stability of getting the money from owner as opposed to company? Also are you told where to sit while waiting for loads? specifically are you required to sit at certain truck stop or can you pick and choose within your area where you are on board where to sit? Just thought of this-not that hometime matters (and I know it depends on company) but gnerally, how often do you typically get through Chicago in a month?

Sorry for long post and all newbie questions- most of my questions I've found answers through past posts (may not like the answer - like expediting out west) but these I couldnt find.

Thanks for all your help and your time.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey thank you all for your advice. I kinda figured from my digging around that it is pretty much impossible staying west. Driving accross country not a problem though or is hometime. Good idea about flying home every couple months (probably cheaper than DH though depends how close you are). I live in Chicago area now but was looking to move southwest, if I were to expedite then i'm probably better off staying here. I figured the auto industry is killing the trucking business.

Through my research I think I'd prefer expedite over traditional OTR ( I drive straight truck local/tri state area now) but my fear is it seems like you are at more of the mercy of the owner, hoping he PM's his truck regularly over a traditional OTR company. The OTR company has deeper pockets so can also afford this more easily than even an owner who has good intentions but may not be able to afford it - especialy in this economy.
An owner who can't afford proper upkeep of his truck(s) is not going to be around too long - avoid them.

Question: is your pay as a fleet driver coming from the company account or the owners account?
The carrier pays the owner, who then pays you. It's smart to be sure that you can trust him to pay you correctly and on time (just as it's smart for the owner to be sure that he can trust you with his equipment). Trust is the key word here, but as DaveKC says: verify. Ask potential owners for contact info for their previous drivers, if you have no other assurances of the owner's honesty, and be prepared to provide references yourself.
I would be worried about stability of getting the money from owner as opposed to company? Also are you told where to sit while waiting for loads? specifically are you required to sit at certain truck stop or can you pick and choose within your area where you are on board where to sit?
Some carriers offer a layover suggestion, but not all. Even those who do won't specify a certain truckstop. Just thought of this-not that hometime matters (and I know it depends on company) but gnerally, how often do you typically get through Chicago in a month?
Just a WAG, but I'd say you could get to Chicago at least once a month, if you wanted to.

Sorry for long post and all newbie questions- most of my questions I've found answers through past posts (may not like the answer - like expediting out west) but these I couldnt find.

Thanks for all your help and your time.
You are very welcome.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can attest there is business in the west...but they usually are longer runs requiring a team....There is more in the west then most would think....the traditional lanes are getting more blurred all the time....but you can't lose around Chicago.

zocco

Seasoned Expediter
Hey thanks for your insight. I might just stay in Chicago then as much as I like the west, I really don't want to team unless it was someone I really knew or someone who you really can connect with like a good friendship, get along and like working with, and trust. Its really almost like a marriage as far as finding a co-driver but without the obvious benefits...then again it does get cold on those long winter minnesota nights ... just kidding.

I wouldnt be regulated to truck stops though as far as sitting waiting for loads, meaning I could opt at sitting at places like Walmarts, shopping areas, ymca's, etc...as long as there is truck space?

Hey would a carrier be honest about an owners reputation as an owner or are they going to pretty much say good things about them regardless? I could get references from an owner, but how do I know who I'm really talking to?

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help and respect your time and sharing of your learned experience.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Z, as an Independent Contractor, you can sit anywhere your truck will fit - unless the mgmt asks you to leave, at least. (The Flying Hook in Laredo made me move my truck from the entirely empty RV spots, when the truck parking was entirely full :mad:) Guess I'll do my laundry at the WishyWashy!
It helps to have a contract with the owner, protecting both of you, spelling out the responsibilities of each. Unless you speak legalese, best to have it checked by an atty before signing.
I've driven for 3 owners, (with the same carrier, though) and not one of them ever cheated me - those who cheat don't get away with it for long, I hope, but your best bet is to talk to someone who personally knows the owner - not sure what the carrier would say, if anything. (They may fear repercussions for advising on a contractor's character.)

zocco

Seasoned Expediter
Hey thanks Cheri, its good to know I can avoid the truck stops if I choose to. Yeah I'm guessing I might not get an accurate answer about an owner from a carrier for legal reasons (which I hadn't considered) and probably because the carrier needs the owners trucks/vans too. Thanks for your help.

Just curious: I know that sometimes you have to bite the bullet and deadhead to get to a better lane from a dead area, but aside from that, what is the longest you will deadhead to get home (assuming there is no crisis or special event you have to get to)?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As home for me is NE Ohio, I seldom have to DH very far - but I'd set the limit at around 150 miles for going home, more if I've been out for a long time, less if not. You just have to take it on an individual basis, there aren't too many hard rules about it, ya know? It's always a judgment call....

zocco

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Cheri, kinda figured, just curious to about an average or max number (not that hometime is huge issue especially if I can choose to where I can sit at and the truck is descent enough and good shape). I was looking to move southwest (beautiful part of the country) but will probably stay here in Chicago since it may be harder to expedite with Santa Fe/Albuquerque being your home. It seems majority of freight for solo is midwest, east coast. What an awesome combo though if I could do both as a solo. Thanks.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And also..IF you do the solo routine I'd stay away from Fedex and Panther..or any other carrier that the QC monitors ANY movement at all...there's no "FLEXIBLITY" . talk to other drivers and you'll know my meaning.....:D

zocco

Seasoned Expediter
I hear you loud and clear. Seems like its getting harder to find QC free company though(not that I'm advocating driving unsafe, wouldn't do anything stupid to jepordize my CDL). Anyone wouldnt know of any RECOMMENDED companies that are QC free? I haven't checked past threads for that, maybe I'll take a look. Quick question (and from my research I think I already know answer) being a solo driver, would I come out ahead to drive a van as opposed to straight truck because of D.O.T. rulesl logs etc (assuming I stay out/work hard regardless of what I drive)? Thanks.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear you loud and clear. Seems like its getting harder to find QC free company though(not that I'm advocating driving unsafe, wouldn't do anything stupid to jepordize my CDL). Anyone wouldnt know of any RECOMMENDED companies that are QC free? I haven't checked past threads for that, maybe I'll take a look. Quick question (and from my research I think I already know answer) being a solo driver, would I come out ahead to drive a van as opposed to straight truck because of D.O.T. rulesl logs etc (assuming I stay out/work hard regardless of what I drive)? Thanks.

I think you could flip a coin on that one....solo in a straight or van...hmmmm
Regular surface trucks are working for about the same rate as vans....I think at this moment in time I make more then they do....

Some carriers even with QC's don't always check your hours....they allow you to move "to eat" not that I'd be advocating anything illegal...:rolleyes: