Ryder trucks .. Need help

medajke

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm monitoring used straight trucks from Ryder and almost just uploaded new inventory (in couple hrs) - says Deposit Received..

Does Ryder sales those trucks with some basic warranty (I mean u not paying additional money for extended warranty) ?

Or

As is with no warranty?

Cause it's impossible to come and see how is it going with a trucks.. Is there any problems and etc..

(Have had experience with Ryder - I came there to check and do test drive on truck and there were a problem with hydraulic brakes and rear gear)

So could someone explain me how to work with Ryder in purchasing a used trucks..

Thanks

CLT_broker

Rookie Expediter
A used truck from Ryder will sell AS IS / WHERE IS. You can opt for the extended warranty for about $3-4k. However, read the warranty VERY CAREFULLY, as the owner and with any used truck warranty, you are responsible for performing certain PM's at certain intervals or they could deny any claims. In my experience, when we did not purchase the warranty Ryder gave us a 30 warranty.

Inventory is low right now all over the place and these trucks are going fast. Couple other pointers:

-- Have $1000 ready to put down on a truck to hold it. This does not commit to a purchase but will buy you a week or so to inspect and make the decision if you want to buy it.

-- Tell the salesperson you want to take it to your mechanic for inspection. There isn't a Ryder dealer around that wont let you do this. If you are not qualified, don't assess the condition yourself.

-- Ryder will have ALL maintenance records for the trucks from light bulb replacement to major repairs, etc. Get them and have them handy for a 3rd party inspection.

Due your due diligence, good luck to you.

Reactions: Deville

medajke

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
What does mean 30 warranty .. Is it 30,000 miles warranty ?

Thx you for your help

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
A guy bought a used truck from a local Ryder. The check engine light came on and the owner brought it to us for an assessment. When I got in the truck, it was also crying for a manual regen, which I found odd.

The fuel filter had been installed wrong. This was the source of the code for low fuel pressure.

During a test drive, I noticed low boost during a regen (the truck otherwise drove normal). It didn't even really feel that sluggish during the automatic regen, but it still wasn't right.

Turns out his turbo was suffering from excessive wear. Ryder sucked it up and covered it under their 30 day warranty.

Be hyper diligent with your inspections, and leave no stone unturned. This would have cost the guy almost $3500 soon after his 30 day warranty had expired.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey, greasy, in your opinion, what do you think of the trucks Ryder and penske (in general) puts up for sale.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey, greasy, in your opinion, what do you think of the trucks Ryder and penske (in general) puts up for sale.
Well, that requires a multi-faceted answer.

Well managed fleets are ones that go through great effort to maximize profit. Sometimes this involves stretching maintenance to the point where it's bordering on insufficient. A well run fleet can toe this line. Then the trucks are replaced before they become money black holes.

That doesnt mean that the trucks are bad. Ive seen privately owned trucks repeatedly run to the breaking point, and id much prefer an ex-lease or fleet truck over one of the others.

You never know what you're looking at unless you take it apart. And that's what I recommend: the most thorough inspection you can get away with.

I've personally met a few EO members and have pointed out glaring problems on each truck, things that weren't noticed on an initial walk around. It pays to be a jerk about it. I regularly go with people to look at used cars, and almost invariably piss off the seller. But you kind of have to.

Reactions: Deville