Running Vista beside XP Pro

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I have a Compaq Presario C769US PC that came with Vista.

One of the programs I run will not and cannot be made to work with Vista.

I installed Windows XP Pro along side of the Vista so I could run this program. The problem I have is that sometimes when I am running the XP Pro I have no sound. Sometimes I do but not always.

When I run the Vista side I always have sound.

Any idea as to what is happining and how to fix it??

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
try this, on the program that you are having problems with...right click and goto the properties tab and click the compatibility tab and check "run this program with windows xp"....from my understanding vista is based off of xp and xp is already built in ...good luck with it

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the reply. I think maybe I didn't explain my complaint very good.

What I should have said is that I have no sound at all on the XP Pro side, (sometimes). It's not just the one program, it's the hole darn side.

When I start the computer I have the option of running Vista or EX Pro. When I select Vista I always get sound on every program that emits a sound. When I select XP Pro I get sound sometimes.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
I understood what you meant, maybe I didnt explain myself fully....try opening the program in vista( the one that you had to install xp for) and try to do what I said in the above...if it works there(vista) then there is no need to run 2 OS, thus eliminating the sound issue...if that not work, dont know what to tell you...hope it helps..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Download and install the Intel chipset for use in XP
Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility*INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 3, 900 Series Chipsets

Then download and install the MS UAA (required with a reboot before Conexant):
kb888111.exe

Then download and install the Conexant SmartAudio 221 drivers:
ConexantHDAudio 221_XP.zip

Unzip the Conextant files to a folder.
Next use Device Manager.
From Device Manager, right click "Audio Device on HD", choose Update driver,
No to connect to the net,
Install from a list or specific location,
Select Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install,
For the Hardware Type select 'Show All Devices'
Remove the check from "Show Compatible Hardware" and click on "Have Disk".
Next...browse to the unzipped folder and choose the "WiSVHe5.inf".
Ignore XP when it complains.
Reboot.

Should be good to go at that point. :)

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I understood what you meant, maybe I didnt explain myself fully....try opening the program in vista( the one that you had to install xp for) and try to do what I said in the above...if it works there(vista) then there is no need to run 2 OS, thus eliminating the sound issue...if that not work, dont know what to tell you...hope it helps..

Thanks again, but I was told by the maker of the program that nothing could be done to make it run on Vista. Of course they have a new and improved camera that will run with Vista. The cost is only about $490.00 and then $35.00 per month for the rest of a persons life. And then get this, every thing the camers sees is sent back to their hqd. in California. It's a DriveCam event camera. Yea like I want them to see everything I do. Talk about big brother.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Download and install the Intel chipset for use in XP
Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility*INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 3, 900 Series Chipsets

Then download and install the MS UAA (required with a reboot before Conexant):
kb888111.exe

Then download and install the Conexant SmartAudio 221 drivers:
ConexantHDAudio 221_XP.zip

Unzip the Conextant files to a folder.
Next use Device Manager.
From Device Manager, right click "Audio Device on HD", choose Update driver,
No to connect to the net,
Install from a list or specific location,
Select Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install,
For the Hardware Type select 'Show All Devices'
Remove the check from "Show Compatible Hardware" and click on "Have Disk".
Next...browse to the unzipped folder and choose the "WiSVHe5.inf".
Ignore XP when it complains.
Reboot.

Should be good to go at that point. :)

Thanks Turtle, but by the time I got all that figured out I would be retired. I'll take everything to someone smarter than I am, that shouldn't be a problem, and let them work your deal out. I haven't forgot that I still owe you that cup of coffee.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Thanks again, but I was told by the maker of the program that nothing could be done to make it run on Vista. Of course they have a new and improved camera that will run with Vista. The cost is only about $490.00 and then $35.00 per month for the rest of a persons life. And then get this, every thing the camers sees is sent back to their hqd. in California. It's a DriveCam event camera. Yea like I want them to see everything I do. Talk about big brother.

and if you do as they say it still will not be running in vista, it will will be running on the xp layer. but it works 99.99% of the time when a company says there product will not work in vista