Router

BillyG

Active Expediter
Can somebody tell me what a router is, and what it's used for. Can you use one in a truck to get internet service on a computer? Links would be helpful.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A router is a WiFi system that you would need internet connected to in order to use it. There are mobile devices that you pay a monthly fee to a cell phone company for an internet connection.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
a Router in a truck could be used several ways, it can serve as a Firewall to protect your computer, it could serve as a Node to let you go outside your truck and use a Laptop or other WIFI Device, but it needs the Internet fed to it, so you could use one of the electrified truckstops that gives you a network cable, or use a Phone and FOXFI to feed the Router, but a router alone is simply a distribution device, it doesnt create the Internet. It distributes it.

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I seen where you can get a router with a PCMIA slot and you can get a 3g/4g air card and you have WiFi and internet.......Thanks from Linda and Micheal:cool:o

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I wonder have any one ever use magic jack with with your router in your cargo van or straight thruck. If you have I would like to know how good is it. Thanks from Linda and Micheal

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Is there anything that can boost your iPad or laptop so it can receive a weak signal, truck stop wifi antennas aren't aimed very well and are very unreliable especially when a truck drives in front of you, they really need to mount them higher and not aim them at the ground.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have A small plug in router with A magnetic mount higain antenna with 5' coax cable I paid around $90.00 for the 2 it works very well at boosting the weak truckstop signals where I uset to get week or poos signal I now get very good to excellent bought it at A local computer store.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I just upgrade3d my phone to the Samsung 3 4G and got the new UNLIMITED 10 GB data plan and use the phone as a modem, it works great, watching movies, news, sports anywhere the cell has service, 3G or 4G needed for good streaming service, the new Samsung 3 is larger with a better operating system, ICE CREAM SANDWICH which is the best for multitasking etc, Im using it right now to update and get online, Its a great phone and uses ANDRIOD Apps,

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just upgrade3d my phone to the Samsung 3 4G and got the new UNLIMITED 10 GB data plan and use the phone as a modem, it works great, watching movies, news, sports anywhere the cell has service, 3G or 4G needed for good streaming service, the new Samsung 3 is larger with a better operating system, ICE CREAM SANDWICH which is the best for multitasking etc, Im using it right now to update and get online, Its a great phone and uses ANDRIOD Apps,

Unlimited 10gb doesn't sound unlimited. Or is the voice and text the unlimited part.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums