rooftop ac smell

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We have a new truck with a new rooftop ac like the rvs. Has anyone ever experienced a smell from theirs? Best I can describe it is that it smells similar to what cat spray smells like, lol. We see water drain from the holes on the side of the roof, so I'm not sure if this is some kind of water or what. Cleaned the inside...wasn't even dirty and sprayed with lysol. It's so gross. Anyone else know about this???

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
We have a new truck with a new rooftop ac like the rvs. Has anyone ever experienced a smell from theirs? Best I can describe it is that it smells similar to what cat spray smells like, lol. We see water drain from the holes on the side of the roof, so I'm not sure if this is some kind of water or what. Cleaned the inside...wasn't even dirty and sprayed with lysol. It's so gross. Anyone else know about this???

That smell is hard to get rid of but not impossible, when I sold cars we'd run across it with a few cars. You need an enzyme spray that deodorizes, sorry I don't have a vendor or name for you, but that is what we used...sometimes it takes two or three treatments, spraying into the vents etc.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My wife is always complaining about the smell in our van, she said I can't eat at Taco Bell anymore to fix it. RIMSHOT!

Have you noticed a decrease in performance at all? Try an oxygen bleach.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

I use to clean heating and air units on preventative maintenance units, but never ran across cat urine smell, but dead animal smells I did. Next time u take the cover off, check the blower fan for any dead animals in the wheel. I have found dead rats in the blower wheel. I always clean units with 50/50 mix of chlorax. Good luck on ur cleaning.:)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
That water you see running out needs to run out...chances are somewhere along the line (and it doesn't take long at all) that the unit didn't drain and the evaporator didn't get rid of all the water (happens alot if the unit is operated for short periods of time while the salesperson is showing the unit and demo'ing the ac unit....Mildew will start to grow...then as the unit is used normally after it is sold, the mildew will go away, but the smell as was said above can be there for a longgggggggg time...

Contact a commerical AC company and ask them for the product they use ...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I believe hardware stores and pet stores carry the enzyme deodorant sprays
Might also check with a car dealership or RV store.
It's the same stuff they use to get rid of the cigarette smell in cars

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
No decrease in performance. The truck is brand new, but not sure about the actual ac unit because we are not the owners. We don't have any other odor problems. If we run the regular ac in the truck or nothing at all, there is no smell at all. Maybe an RV dealer would have some type of vent spray for these? I don't like it at all, lol. I've been spraying lysol or my gain scented febreeze in it to try and help. We have only had it for 3 weeks but I really have a hard time handling the smell. Sometimes its like rotten dirty socks, lol. Has to be water of some sort.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Scott wrote:

Peeing on your feet is known to cure toe fungus but the socks need to come off first

Peeing on a jelly fish "sting" is also a well known way to stop the pain...:D been there , done that...twice....the 1st time i was told my a hawaiian lady,,,the 2nd time, I remembered myself...luckily both times i had been drinking alot of "adult beverages and had enough "medication" to do the deed...:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Scott wrote:

Peeing on a jelly fish "sting" is also a well known way to stop the pain...:D been there , done that...twice....the 1st time i was told my a hawaiian lady,,,the 2nd time, I remembered myself...luckily both times i had been drinking alot of "adult beverages and had enough "medication" to do the deed...:D

Pictures or it didn't happen eek......:eek:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Butterfly, the problem is not in the vents. It is inside the unit, under the cover...the air that is being cooled goes across the evaporator and is cooled, thats where the smell is starting.....inside the unit..

Alot of times water will build up in the evaporator housing and mold can even grow in there (you remember 'legionaires disease"?) spraying stuff in the vents isn't going to do anything at all...you will have to remove the cover and go from there...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dakota wrote:

Pictures or it didn't happen

The camara got p.. wet too, and it was before "digital"..the film was riuned...:D

Scott wrote:

I'd put up with the pain.

Hmmm...no you won't...well i will admit when it comes to pain, i am a sissy...so i didn't and won't...:D