rooftop a/c units

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does anyone know if the generator output of a ProHeat generator will power a rooftop a/c unit and also where is a good place to get a rooftop a/c installed?

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
If you have a roof vent in your roof, your almost there! That 14" by 14" hole is the same as a roof A/C unit. A little wiring and be sure to by a rough neck A/C unit and you should be cool by the end of a day or two. Camper World or any large Camper supply shop should be able to do the job. I would get a few quotes first as pricing can vary by quite a bit!

G

Do a little research and you will find that there are high efficiency rooftop units out there. I would go with the smallest since you are cooling a small space that has better insulation than most RVs. I would also go with a low profile model. If your generator makes at least 2000 watts you should be okay with one of the high efficiency units that are under 10,000 BTUs. There are lots of RVers out there running small rooftop A/Cs with 2000 watt generators.

Driveguy 207

Expert Expediter
I have been told by many shops that even for a high efficiency Rooftop A/C to cycle on when its hot you'll need 25amps which would take a 3000watt generator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Driveguy207

I have been told by many shops that even for a high efficiency Rooftop A/C to cycle on when its hot you'll need 25amps which would take a 3000watt generator

Good info. This is accurate.
Draw on the generator will be higher as the ambient air temp. increases.
The proheat I believe is around 4000watts. It should run it.
You would have to keep in mind of other power accessories that may draw at the same time. A seperate breaker ect will be needed.
Example: don't turn on your microwave when A/C unit is running.
You likely will pop a breaker or start smelling smoke.

Make sure you have a reputable dealer install the A/C.
Not a place to cut corners as if done incorrectly, you will develop roof leaks. Trucks take on alot more abuse through vibration ect. than a standard RV.

Davekc
owner
20 years

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Leo,I would check with the people a BENTZ.They will know if your roof will need special support for the AC unit.They may be able to handle the entire job for you.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I already planned on needing to turn off the a/c if I wanted to microwave something. I think my tv etc. would be ok with it. I do have 4000 watts max so I think it's good up to maybe 13.5k btu units. I'll check with Bentz about the structural integrity. There's a place near home, PPL RV's, that's been around for at least a decade and has a huge motorhome facility. I'll probably go to them to get it done so it doesn't take me out of service on the road somewhere. The next truck is getting an Onan 5500 watt with a good roof a/c to begin with.

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Leo,I would check with the people a BENTZ.They will know if your roof will need special support for the AC unit.They may be able to handle the entire job for you.

If I recall correctly, Bentz will not do a roof air on a express cruiser. This info was from a Landstar team who just bought one.(last years expo) I believe they went to Carrier to have a unit installed.
My understanding was that Bentz had done a few, and had water and leaking issues with them.
Clearly a item to check out prior to any install.

Davekc
owner
20 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would greatly prefer to have the existing unit function properly and adequately however I've about lost all hope of that happening so I'm looking into alternatives. I will definitely be sure whoever does the work has a very positive background and gives a strong warranty on the work.

Leo
truck 4958