roof top a/c units

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
would like some feedback on roof top a/c units. ownership experiences, amount of time you have had these units and any problems incurred. please state brand/model # and btu output heat {if applicable} and a/c and any other pertinent info. thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
would like some feedback on roof top a/c units. ownership experiences, amount of time you have had these units and any problems incurred. please state brand/model # and btu output heat {if applicable} and a/c and any other pertinent info. thanks in advance for your input.

go to the search section, there are miles of data:D

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
while there are many posts on the subject, not many mention brands or experiences w/the exception of phil and davekc. come on, just want to know your brand, model and any good or bad points and service issues. maybe what you are using to power them with. thanks

ATeam

Retired Expediter
while there are many posts on the subject, not many mention brands or experiences w/the exception of phil and davekc. come on, just want to know your brand, model and any good or bad points and service issues. maybe what you are using to power them with. thanks

I was about to jump in but it seems I already have. I'll update to today that we continue to use the same unit. We have never done anything to it except turn it on and off and clean the air filters. Works good!

moose

Veteran Expediter
Call robert @ Interstate truck source .
he is an expert on those.
and can probably tells you where to buy.
and if you are going to invest in that,
I'D suggest you ask him about replacing your APU with the battery set up he got.
(or you can call me...,which ever works for you...) :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They are pretty much trouble free. We have had both now duro-therms and colemans. Both do a good job. Had several with the heat pump option but it is kinda so-so. Not sure on the BTU's but they will freeze you out sitting in 100 plus degrees in AZ.
Having the proper generator is key in extreme conditions.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a Carrier Air V and I think it's 13k btu on a/c and maybe something like 5.5k on heat. The heat is pretty much a waste and next time if there's an identical minus heat for lower price option I will go that way. I have only used mine a few dozen hours so far but it does a good job in all but the hottest situations. That's while cooling a Chev. G3500 extended van in it's entirety. I got mine from Sportsmobile in Austin, TX and highly recommend them and especially Kevin.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
thanks guys let me her from some more of you. dave/leo what are you powering those with. i am thinking i will double up the rig master to its full 6k bring it into a breaker box with two 30 amp breakers. one for ac the other for the sleeper.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You could use a rigmaster but I would likely short belt it and remove the internal AC components. I have seen a couple set up that way. We have used truckgens (basically a direct drive Kabota) and Onans.

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
I have a coleman Mach 3 13500 btu unit with a heat strip... i have had it since 06 and have never had any problems with mine. The only bad thing is that you have to use a 3500 watt generator or higher to make it run. I would suggest not to get the heat strip it really doesnt work that well unless you use a heater blowing into it.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Hey dynamite, have you checked out this thread?

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/37046-apu-all-bells-roof-air-portable-genset.html

It has loads of info on rooftops. As a follow up for mine, rooftop was an over kill. but better to have too much than not enough. Rooftop with heat strip is pretty sad, but if I drop curtain between cab and sleeper, I can stay warm. Not very good heat. Since I have a 6KW generator, I use a little electric heater and can run myself out with it. The china diesel generator is a work of art. It works, but keeps me working to keep it working. Ha! Definetely was not made for harsh life on road. Everything shakes loose going down road. Even loctite on bolt threads doesn't work for long. I am on my second generator. First one sucked the air cleaner bolts into the intake. Nuff said about that. The one I have now is on it's second engine. Original engine seized up under warranty and believe it or not, they sent me a replacement engine for cost of shipping and I got to keep bad one. I have yet to have a part go bad on one. Other than mufflers. The muffler sysytem can't handle the vibration and they crack open where the manifold pipe goes in. Of course this is where the sound is the loudest. I have tried different types, but have yet to come up with the right solution yet. All in all, I am happy with it. No problems with Carrier rooftop. Love it when I am in Laredo in july and August. Generator will run everything on truck at same time, no problem there. TV, Microwave, rooftop or heater. My inital cost to do this was around $1800. Did all work myself and bought gen and rooftop off Ebay. Generator came out of Canada, rooftop from pigeon forge, tn. If I had to pay for someone to fix all the loose things everytime, I would be in the hole. But I figure I could replace genset every year and still come out ahead. Course, I don't think like most folks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have an Onan MicroLite 2800 that goes in the spare tire well. I have 1700 watts of portable heater from Walmart plus my laptop plus a 2 bulb flourescent with about 15" tubes all running through the inverter and it does fine. When the a/c is running on max cool setting plus the light and pc it definitely pulls it down, about like when you push the mower from the driveway into the 6-8" tall grass but it recovers immediately and chugs along.

gunnrunnerX

Seasoned Expediter
We have a dometic, 13500 btu. It's a standard profile, not the low profile. We were advised by the svc mgr at camping world, (who installed it in less than 2 hrs) that this model was the model on 98% of the campers and rv's they sell, and they would have parts for this one on hand at any camping world. Ours is 4 years old and will still freeze us out when it's 100+ outside, I would not even mess with heat in your roof unit. I would go with a fuel fired heater. Roof air units need 2500-3000 watts to run, so just about APU ought to run it reliably. We run a Proheat APU with over 18000 miles on it and it works just fine. Although I wouldn't give up your fantastic vent. Guess you could have just called me and asked me.....