roof air

hossfly2

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I am going to install a roof air on my van , 9500btu low profile, first will it cool a 3500extened van that is very well insulated , and second will a 2000honda generator , pull this ac unit. thanks for any information.

hossfly2

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
is your van a chevy or ford, and are you cooling the whole area of your van. do you have any problems with sealing the ac unit . on top of van

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
9500BTU is very weak for cooling the entire inside of a van, even a short wheelbase van. The dash AC is far more powerful than that. You will need to partition off the cargo area with a curtain or something. Or use a more powerful AC.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I cool my standard Chevy van w/ a 5000 btu...only problems is Laredo in the middle of the day..

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have a Coleman Polar Cub. 9200 btu. Honda 2000 runs it just fine. I have a cargo partition and blown in insulation. It will freeze you out. 2011 Sprinter extended.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have a Coleman Polar Cub. 9200 btu. Honda 2000 runs it just fine. I have a cargo partition and blown in insulation. It will freeze you out. 2011 Sprinter extended.

How does the 2000i do whith startups with the 9200..ihave the same gen. but last 2 years been using a 5000 window shaker..im getting ready to order a new roof unit for this year...i was told you might have to install a cold start capcitor??

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you have to install a hard start capacitor, it's cheap and easy to do, so don't let that be much of a factor.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
How does the 2000i do whith startups with the 9200..ihave the same gen. but last 2 years been using a 5000 window shaker..im getting ready to order a new roof unit for this year...i was told you might have to install a cold start capcitor??

Works just fine out of the box. Cycles on and off just fine. I run on Eco mode all the time. When the compressor kicks in, it reves up a bit, when it cuts out and goes to fan, slows down. Everything works like it should. I get about 8 to 9 hours run time depending on outside temp on a tank of gas. In the winter to keep my house battery charged when running the espar and watching tv, 15 hours run time.

Check out ppl motorhomes in Houston. $591 I think for the Coleman Polar Cub low profile. Don't remember what freight was. Over $100, still came out cheaper for me than buying it local. Might not be for you.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Kewl...that eases my concerns...i am going to order 1

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I was a insulator for 18 yrs. Git that part covred..

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
i have a sprinter, at first i tried the 5000 btu window air and it would not cool my van, so i put in a 9500 btu roof air, my van is insulated but not the greatest, in laredo on a hot summer day it will get it about 70 degree inside, my wife blocks off the back with a blanket and you can feel a big difference between the front and back, i run the generator in eco mode, i bought my roof air at my local camping trailer store and they were the cheapest, you have to be under 10,000 btu for the honda to work, and do but the polar cub because it is compact, i bought the taller coleman and wish i would of bought the polar cub

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
If you have to install a hard start capacitor, it's cheap and easy to do, so don't let that be much of a factor.

Thanks for the tip Turtle. I ordered the Supco SPP6E E Series Electronic Potential Relay Style Hard Start Kit from Amazon today. It was only $21. Thanks a lot.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Received the SPP6E hard start capacitor and then got to worrying about it being the right one. I sent an email to SUPCO tech support and got the following reply from them.

The SPP6E is not designed to use on 120 VAC systems, you will need the SPP6 [no E] for this unit. While a 2000 or 2500 watt generator can start that unit using a hardstart. The generator, compressor, hardstart, or all three will fail prematurely if use do not use at least a 3000 watt generator.

Thanks,

Jim Berry [email protected]