Roadside Inspections

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Any ideas on making it easier to pass Roadside Inspections? How do you professional drivers keep yourselves prepared for these unexpected surprises?

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Keep your log current! (It helps if it's also neat) because that's usually the first thing they want to see - if it looks questionable, they'll look harder at everything else. All paperwork, such as permits, & personal documentation, like the long form medical certificate, accessible. Shipping papers at hand if under load, & safety equipment present & in good order.
Again: keeping your log current & legible is a big help. I've been caught by surprise twice - once at a scale, & once on a Pennsylvania back road, and both times I was glad that I'd kept my log up! (Because there have been times when I didn't) ;)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A clean truck helps. Stay on top of air leaks and keep your brakes adjusted. If they're standing outside looking you over as you approach you will have a good chance of just getting the quick once over and avoiding a level 1(or whatever # the major inspection is).

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
As stated above. Clean turck, and current (up to date) logs. Also a positive attitude when they do pull you in for inspection.

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Look professional, act professional.......be precieved as a professional. A nice clean appearance (driver and truck), all records (logs, permits, etc) readily accessable and the level of inspection will probably stay at a 1, as stated before, neat, up to date logs is the first indicator of how the Officer precieves your professionalism. Remember, perception is reality!