road test

Drew

Expert Expediter
Hi looking for anyone in my area that has a stright truck automatic for road test.I tryed to rent one but I need one millon dollar liability.All my friends drive tractor and trailer.This is for class B license with air brakes.Wife can not drive stright she has a bad left foot where it was broke before never healed right.We live in Kingspot TN.aera Please help...:'(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If there are no local services for CDL in your area, call the testing site where you will perform your test. They likely know of a company that for a charge, will bring a truck to the test site for you to drive. There are quite a few places that do this. It may require you to go to Knoxville but it can be done. The places that I have seen do this, use automatics.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Drew,
I ran into the same problem last Fall when I was trying to get a class B. My final solution was to hang around the testing center a few mornings till I saw a few people taking their road-test. I found two guys in my area that had small, automatic, class A rigs with 28 foot city trailers. I interviewed both guys, decided on one, paid him 350 for two one-hour training sessions and the road-test. I passed on the first try and got a class A.

If your concerned about backing and parking that is not a big concern with the way those guys train. They have backing and parking down to an art. The steering wheel is marked, they have a set of marks on the trailer all you have to do is memorize the steps and do exactally as they tell you. That little class A rig was easier to park than my 40 foot class B expediter truck. Remember the road test is administered on the point system. In Texas we have to loose 35 points before we fail the road test. My tester was a self-righteous female on a power trip. She docked me 15 points and lectured me on everything but I kept my mouth shut, let her yell at me, and walked away with my class A. It was time, money and patients well spent!

Drew

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your info nothing like a woman on a power trip.I'm glad things went well for you keep up safe driving may one day well run into each other on the road.

Drew

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas but we did call the aera testing sites no luck .Now trying third party and the schools only have class A truck. Maybe I'll go after my class A my friends all have them.Again thank U...